FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to make aware for everyone that is thinking about getting the Vltor CASV scar rail. I removed the Vltor rail to make it stock again. After I took the rails off, I noticed witness marks left behind by the rail screws. (These are the six small screws that connect the bottom rail to the side rail) I was not happy at all when I saw that. Dam you Vltor. I guess I'm to blame for it because the manual does say to read all the notes. It does say it may leave witness marks from the install. I wish they would at least put out a warning on the first page of the manual in BIG print or product description.

For those who are thinking about getting one. You need to shorten these six screws. I like my guns to be pretty as possible and I hope this doesn't happen to someone else.

20140118_160606.jpg

How come I didn't put this on my black scar. My poor FDE baby!!! lol

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
The front two look gouged. Yikes. I'd be pissed as well.

·
Banned
617 Posts
I'm actually more surprised you didn't feel the screws gouging into the metal when you were installing, at least I did when the same thing happened to me.

If you measure the #6-32 socket screws that came with your CASV rail they should be 1/4" length. I received 5 correct screws and one 1/2" in the packaging, guess which one left the witness mark? If VLTOR screwed up and sent me one incorrect length by mistake, it's not a far stretch to imagine they sent you entirely the wrong length screws.

At least now you have the perfect excuse to rattle can your rifle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yep. Same thing happened with mine. All 6... In addition, the screws are really really easy to strip. Fairly Annoying.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts