FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to start out by saying I did countless hours of research before purchasing this combination for my FN SCAR17s...
Everything I read online claimed the FN SCAR17s is "an optic eater" or "will destroy sub par optics".

I went with the Vortex Razor HD GEN II-E (MSRP $2000) based on their lifetime warranty, but mainly because of their incredible customer support (and presence on Reddit).
I went with the Scalarworks Leap Mount (MSRP $400) because of the specs, and I like showing off this rifle more than my others!
I paid ~$1500 total for both in new condition from authorized dealers.

I fired 50 rounds exactly through this scope / mount combination to make sure everything was sighted in perfectly.
Then hunting season came along, and I switched over to my premium hunting ammo.
Sunday, the day before rifle season (antlered deer), I shot five rounds to verify my rifle was sighted in perfectly and then it happened...

The crosshair in my scope appeared canted! The red dot was also sitting slightly to the left and not in the center! UGH!
I contacted Vortex Optics and they quickly sent me a prepaid shipping label. I mailed out my optic yesterday, and was told they would make things right.
When I sent them some photographs (poor quality) to show them what I was seeing they quickly responded with, "Sorry for the delay here – the reticle actually isn’t canted there. Rather, what appears to have happened is the illumination fiber optic inside delaminated from the actual reticle itself and is now hanging off to the side a bit. Not common at all – shouldn’t ever happen – we’ll do everything we can to make sure it never happens again."

I posted here simply to share information with other fellow SCAR owners. It appears that Vortex Optics is doing everything they can to make me a happy customer and fix things as quickly as possible... I'll keep everyone updated when I get my optics back, but for the time being enjoy taking a look at the photos! The first two photos of the reticles are upside down for some reason. Even though fiber optic was out of place, the crosshairs were still perfectly aligned!

IMG_4274 (1).jpg IMG_4272.jpg crop.jpg

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
I'd like to start out by saying I did countless hours of research before purchasing this combination for my FN SCAR17s...
Everything I read online claimed the FN SCAR17s is "an optic eater" or "will destroy sub par optics".

I went with the Vortex Razor HD GEN II-E (MSRP $2000) based on their lifetime warranty, but mainly because of their incredible customer support (and presence on Reddit).
I went with the Scalarworks Leap Mount (MSRP $400) because of the specs, and I like showing off this rifle more than my others!
I paid ~$1500 total for both in new condition from authorized dealers.

I fired 50 rounds exactly through this scope / mount combination to make sure everything was sighted in perfectly.
Then hunting season came along, and I switched over to my premium hunting ammo.
Sunday, the day before rifle season (antlered deer), I shot five rounds to verify my rifle was sighted in perfectly and then it happened...

The crosshair in my scope appeared canted! The red dot was also sitting slightly to the left and not in the center! UGH!
I contacted Vortex Optics and they quickly sent me a prepaid shipping label. I mailed out my optic yesterday, and was told they would make things right.
When I sent them some photographs (poor quality) to show them what I was seeing they quickly responded with, "Sorry for the delay here – the reticle actually isn’t canted there. Rather, what appears to have happened is the illumination fiber optic inside delaminated from the actual reticle itself and is now hanging off to the side a bit. Not common at all – shouldn’t ever happen – we’ll do everything we can to make sure it never happens again."

I posted here simply to share information with other fellow SCAR owners. It appears that Vortex Optics is doing everything they can to make me a happy customer and fix things as quickly as possible... I'll keep everyone updated when I get my optics back, but for the time being enjoy taking a look at the photos! The first two photos of the reticles are upside down for some reason. Even though fiber optic was out of place, the crosshairs were still perfectly aligned!

View attachment 131709 View attachment 131711 View attachment 131713
Nice trophy buck you have. Did you use the vortex to bag it before you shipped it off?

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Thanks for the report. Considered that optic and I’m sure it’s a good one.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: Two weeks later and I'm back up and running again. Awesome customer service by Vortex Optics!

I shipped out my optic for repair on 12/03/2019, via USPS, using the prepaid label Vortex Optics sent me via e-mail. My repaired optic was delivered to my door on 12/17/2019, via UPS, and appears to be just like new.

The following is the description on the paperwork included: "Replaced/aligned and secured reticle in scope. Tested/checked all mechanical and optical function of scope with no other issues/problems found. Reset/zeroed windage/elevation turrets to optical center. Cleaned and purged scope. **Recommend 15-18 pounds rings to scope** If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to email us or call us. (Insert Vortex Optics e-mail address and phone number here). Thank you for choosing Vortex Optics!!"

Note: I remounted my optic into the same Scalarworks Leap Scope Mount @ 18 inch/pounds. Once I have time to shoot some rounds through my rifle I will report back. I will also report back should the scope experience any further issues.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I've been eying this scope. I just wish they made a like model with FFP.

I'm also caught up with the whole mount height. 1.5 ish or the 1.93.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts