FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gents,

I'm new to the forum and recently became a SCAR17S owner. I've read through quite a few threads on optics for the SCAR "Heavy", but there is a wide diversity of opinion on what optics are durable enough for the "pounding" the SCAR delivers.

Has anyone had any experience with the Viper PST 2.5-10 x 32 FFP?

I think it would be a versatile optic for the extremely capable SCAR17S

Thanks for your insights in advance!

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
welcome to the forum scarbelly79 - there are for sure some viper optics users here and they will chime in....never heard anything bad about this optic your asking about on a SCAR 17!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks BigBuckeyGuy - I've been looking forward to owning a SCAR17S for years... I'm kind of worried after some of the comments trashing them online, some of it supposedly from the Navy SW East coast community.

I threw my Viper PST 1-4 on there just for kicks last week - it did pretty well, but I want to have a least 10x magnification on this rifle.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
The SCAR 17 is an awesome combat riffle for sure. You will hear many different opinions here as well. The naysayers will say this rifle does not need anything over 6x and then the guys who like to reach out a little more might have you reach deep in your wallet.

I guess what I learned most here about the subject of optics is to really decide what type of shooting you will use the SCAR 17 for and then let that drive the thought. I purchased my 17 specifically to SBR it with the 13" CQB and run it suppressed with a surefire FH and SoCom suppressor. So, I therefore chose the ELCAN Specter DR 1.5x6. Still waiting on the stamps to come back and it will be another year before she is finished but then I have something I am comfortable shooting out to 500yrds.

The 10x Viper your speaking of has gotten some good reviews here so let's see what those guys have to say because I think you will be happy! Congrats again on your SCAR I love mine a lot!

Thanks BigBuckeyGuy - I've been looking forward to owning a SCAR17S for years... I'm kind of worried after some of the comments trashing them online, some of it supposedly from the Navy SW East coast community.

I threw my Viper PST 1-4 on there just for kicks last week - it did pretty well, but I want to have a least 10x magnification on this rifle.

·
Registered
25,418 Posts

SB79,

Welcome to FNF. :?

Leupold 3.5-10 Mk4 stands up to the task on the 17, as do the NF offerings. Talhoffer's been running his 17 with a Vadala for a couple of years now and no issues with that brand either.

NSW Operators: I haven't heard any reports from current units who are fielding the Mk17 - no optics durability issues today.

-SS

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have one on my 17 and I love it so far. I haven't had much time behind the scope but its extremely clear and seems to be solid. Especially for the price.

These are the only pics I have of it on the gun. (Pics were posted from an iPad so hopefully they work)

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
I had/have one, loved it. Wind-age turret just gave out on it and spins freely. Roughly 550 or so rounds with it on the 17. Could be a fluke? Just shipped it back to Vortex today.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
post up your pics after your purchase and after you have a chance to mount it and shot with it let us know what you think! Glad the others with the experience chiined in for you! Good luck.

I just checked this thread and saw all the replies - thank you!

I am going to get it, and hopefully it doesn't develop Sten's problem.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just put one on my 17, but haven't been able to get out with it yet. This weekend I have a pistol class, so maybe next week, Good Friday. I'll be sure to check back in here & let you all know how I like it.

BTW, I can't wait for that FDE Atlas bipod to show up.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just bought the vortex viper pst 2.5-10 x 44 for my scar 17 but have not installed it yet. I hope it is what I want.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I just bought the vortex viper pst 2.5-10 x 44 for my scar 17 but have not installed it yet. I hope it is what I want.
I have had this optic on my 17 since day 1. It will serve you well. I run mine from CQB out to 800m off of an Atlas bipod so far and I am the weakest link in the system.

·
Registered
31 Posts
👍 Just completed a similar setup with the atlas and Vortex Viper pst 2.5-10x32 FFP! It is gorgeous! Haven't reached 800m distances yet though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 26 Posts