FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states im looking mainly into these 2 as options for my 17s. I ak getting tye upper from my ffl soon. Just starting to save now. Very hard rifle to choose optics for. I mainky shoot in the desert but yere and there at an indoor range. I like the vipers illuminated ebr1 reticle a lot but can live without it. Do you recommend moa or mrad on the viper for an inexperienced scope user. Hoping to learn more as I go. I also have primary arms red dot to run when ik not shooting very far. Any knowledge and comments are immensely appreciated.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have the Viper PST 4-16x50. Nice glass, very sturdy and works well. Never had any problems with it. Can be had on sale for under 900.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a Scar 17 upper sitting at my FFL's as well. Almost all of my rifles have a Vortex Viper PST scope in different sizes on them. As for the Vortex 4-16x50 FFP, it's a great scope for the price (I own two of them) but have them on my rifles set up for long range work. I was considering this size of optic for my Scar but thought it might be too much for it. I opted instead to go with the Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 FFP MRAD. Surprisingly, the glass is better in this model and I haven't had any problems with hitting a steel target with it out to 600yds (I currently have another one mounted on one of my ARs). Another thing that I like about this model is that you can add a quick throw lever on it and use it for close range work because the eye relief is great and have no problem having a clear field of vision looking through it with both eyes open. As for MOA or the MRAD reticle, if you're just getting into optics, I would recommend going with the MRAD. It's actually an easier system to use once you learn the basics. Whether you choose the Vortex 4-16x50 or the 2.5-10x32, they are both great scopes and you won't be disappointed. Also, if you ever do have a problem with a Vortex scope, their warranty is second to none.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the Viper PST 4-16X50 MRAD FFP on my Scar 17 and love it! I know others think it's to much scope but my eye's are getting older and I like seeing where my shots are hitting!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I too like to see where shots are hitting and even though I might not necessarily need all thag magnification I enjoy having it. I will admit that the 2.5-10x32 is another great option I will look into.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts