FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done extensive internet searching ahead of time, I'm just looking for more recent experiences with these optics and specifically atop the 17. I was thinking of the 1-4x if I were to prep up for hunting/SHTF/casual plinking. But, I'm more of a precision shooter and am quite impressed with the accuracy of my 17. So much so, that I've shot it (topped with other scopes) in local competitions and was able to do quite well, even though the bolt guns dominate. Now, I do have a dedicated bolt gun set up for match use, but its nice to stretch the 17's legs now and then and prove to others that a semi can hang. So, I'm leaning toward the 2.5-10x FFP model. I'd be sticking with the Mil/Mil version. The mount I have on hand is a AD-Recon-S.

What opinions and experiences do y'all have with these two specific scopes top the 17?

·
Registered
109 Posts
No experience with the 17 but Vortex PST series optics are probably the best available under $1k. There are reviews and comparisons on most of the long range precision forums. Vortex is a well respected brand and offer LE/MIL discount.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I don't have experience with it on a 17 either. Mine is on my 6.5 Grendel AR that I use for mid-long range shooting and hunting. I have the FFP Mil/Mil 2.5-10x32. It is a very nice scope, good glass, turrets are excellent, and the illumination is good (not necessary when middle of the day IMO)

Reactions: Kakashi66218

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I have the PST 2.5-10X32 FFP EBR-1 (moa) on one of my 17's and it works very good for me, it's also in a Recon mount. I've had no problems with it and quite a deal for 800 considering the quality and the glass. Very impressed with it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have the PST 2.5-10x32 Mil/Mil mounted on my 17 and love it. Glass is clear through all magnification levels and turrets are solid. For my uses the 2.5-10 works great (shooting steel anywhere from 50-800 yards), but if you're precision shooting I would probably recommend a higher magnification level.

I posted these pics in the photo thread but I think it looks pretty good on the 17 as well..

IMG_8211.jpg IMG_8210.jpg IMG_8212.jpg

·
Registered
876 Posts
Vortex is the best keep secret in the optics industry. I use there scopes and they are absolutely amazing! I've had just every scope at one time or another. S&B/U.S Optic/NightForce/etc. I actually sold just about all my scopes and purchased Vortex replacements. Two major reasons why. There warranty and superior quality. I guarantee you will see them more and more being used in competitions. I fully expect the prices to increase.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the PST 2.5-10x32 Mil/Mil mounted on my 17 and love it. Glass is clear through all magnification levels and turrets are solid. For my uses the 2.5-10 works great (shooting steel anywhere from 50-800 yards), but if you're precision shooting I would probably recommend a higher magnification level.

I posted these pics in the photo thread but I think it looks pretty good on the 17 as well..

View attachment 37717 View attachment 37718 View attachment 37719
That pic on the far right is killer dude!!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I were to use the rifle at the local matches again, which I probably will, I'd be looking at shooting paper at 100 and steel plates out to 600 yards. Smallest target we engage are 1" dots at 100 on the paper and 6" plates at 500 yards. I think the max power of 10 and the reticle design would be up to the task.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I just ordered a Viper HS LR 2.5-10x32 ffp. My daughter wants to shoot a deer with my scar this fall, and I don't think the 3.5 ACOG is the best idea for that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've been running a 2.5-10x44 (the SFP) since I got my SCAR. Probably 600 rounds through it and it has never lost zero and still tracks true. I am swapping optics to the SWFA 1-6 though as I think it'll be a better fit but still love that combo!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Took the plunge today and parted ways with some money. Viper PST 2.5-10x32FFP MRAD inbound. If I had about 1800 bucks laying around I would probably go with the NightForce version, but I don't have that much disposable income right now. But, I'm not a huge fan of the NightForce simply because I've gotten used to FFP scopes. Looking forward to getting it mounted up in my ADM Recon-S and putting some rounds downrange with the combo. I was highly impressed with my SCAR 17's accuracy when it was topped with a 1-6x and a 3-9x. I kinda feel like the 2.5-10x is the best power range for this rifle and what I'd like to do with it. Mainly use it for paper punching and gong ringing out to 600 yards and then a little hunting - deer and pigs. I'll push it in some local scoped rifle matches when I'm feeling frisky. Not many semi-autos in the matches, so I'll have to show 'em what a SCAR can do. Pics up when its mounted.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have been using a 1-4 for a few months until last week the crosshairs started rotating to the right (+ to x). At first I thought the mount was faulty but after closer inspection I found the mount to be just fine. So I sent it off to vortex and they said it will be about a week. Issues crop up from time to time, but it's is nice to have a company willing and ready to take care of those issues in a timely manner. The viper pst is a great scope for the money, mine broke after a few hundred rounds, vortex is taking care of the issue. Just a data point.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I had a pricey Nightforce scope in the past and I sold it. I would take Vortex Optics over it any day. The glass wasn't impressive and the eyebox sucked. I am about to order a Viper PST 1-4x for my 16S. Can't go wrong with Vortex!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't have any experience with the 17. I have a Burris XTR 3X-12X-50mm on my AR-10 and really like it out to 500 yards. I have a Vortex Viper PST 6X-24X-50mm FFP on my CZ 550 American .308 rifle and it is great for long range shooting.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts