FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How on earth is anyone sighting in their Vortex Viper on the 509 tactical?

I took mine to the range and it is shooting low left, so I need to make adjustments.

To do so, you have to remove the optic to loosen the lock screws, as they are blocked by the Trijicon rear sight on the slide.

However, you are supposed to lock them before firing and re-mounting.

Every time you remove and replace, you are supposed to re-sight in again.

The only way I see to sight it in would be:
  1. Remove the optic
  2. unlock and make adjustments using a best guess / lock the adjustment screws
  3. remount and shoot
  4. Remove and repeat until it is close enough
Anyone else have a better, more accurate way to sight in the Vortex Viper?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Unfortunately, that's probably going to be your best bet. Measure how far you're shooting low and left (also ensure it's not a trigger pull issue), and translate that into MOA (1 MOA per quarter inch at 25 yards IIRC). If it's like my Holosun that I have on my M&P CORE (and I'll be buying another Holosun when I get the Tac slide in for my FNX-45), it does adjustments in 1 MOA increments. So if you're 1 inch left and 2 down, then 4 clicks right and 8 up on the adjustments. Fortunately, with the Holosun, those adjustment knobs are exposed for the tool to reach when on the slide.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
The thought process that went into that design should have been canned before it ever was more than a brain fart, in my opinion. GG is correct. That's about as good as you can get with that setup. If you can slave it to your irons, that may get you close. That was my reason for going the RMR route.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
Just a suggestion, get a bore sight and align to that. I have 'em for all my calibers, just like a round it fits in the chamber. Far superior to muzzle inserted for handguns IMHO. In reality you only need a zero close enough to neutralize a threat unless your use is for target. YMMV...

·
Registered
20 Posts
The thought process that went into that design should have been canned before it ever was more than a brain fart, in my opinion. GG is correct. That's about as good as you can get with that setup. If you can slave it to your irons, that may get you close. That was my reason for going the RMR route.
rockchalk is right, it's a garbage design. One of the big reasons why I bought a Holosun instead (along with the fact that it shares the RMR mount for half the price and the same ease of use). You'll get there with what I said, but I would definitely recommend something else next time you get a dot.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Anyone else have a better, more accurate way to sight in the Vortex Viper?
More accurate way, sure___

Personally I would probably just drift the rear sight out. (that would allow full access to the rear of the Viper). Then sight the Viper in, then verify it is totally zeroed where I need it in a few shooting sessions.

After I was SURE the Viper was where I needed it then I would simply drift the rear sight back in to, either where it was, or if I trust the Viper zero, then drift the rear sight back to where it lines up with the red dot at the yardage that I shoot it at.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts