FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So disclaimer: I'm not too experienced with many firearms, so think of this as the noob's view of firearms so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on something. Also, incoming image heavy post.

The first of the series: Walter P99AS in 9mm

So this is of course the gun made famous by late 90s and later James Bond movies. My version is the second generation of the P99. There a number of differences between the two generations. These include the front rail (to be more standard rather than a special Walther rail), the removal of the "ski hump" in the trigger gaurd, slight change to the trigger guard itself, a longer magazine release lever, and larger grip pattern on the slide.

First off, the P99 is a striker based system, so there is no hammer. To indicate if the gun is cocked or not the end of the strike protrudes from the rear of the slide.

Cocked

Decocked

If you notice in the picture this is a small button on the top left side of the slide. This is the decocker button to safely decock the P99.

The P99 also has a loaded chamber indicator as shown here as the red mark at the rear of the extractor arm:

As you can tell it can be hard to see, so the best way to tell if the gun is loaded is to check if the rear of the extractor arm is depressed.

Now own to the AS part of the gun (Anti-Stress). Walther makes a number of different P99s which defer on how the trigger works: DAO (Double Action Only), QA (Quick Action, similar to a Glock I believe), and the AS.

Anti-stress is a strange sort of trigger. Basically it has two parts, the first being double action mode and second being single action mode. In DA mode, the trigger acts like a Double Action trigger (duh) where there is a constant pressure as you pull the trigger. This only happens when the gun is not cocked.

When the gun is cocked, the trigger is in SA mode. Here's where it gets iffy. The trigger has two set positions, all the way forward and a midpoint. With both position there is no pressure pulling the trigger and it breaks and fires the striker at the last mm or so from the end of the pull. I believe it was designed like to take away the power that is need to pull the trigger. The following pictures probably explain it better than I can:

Double-Action/Single-Action forward position:

SA Midposition:

Where the gun fires during SA mode:

As I'm not very experienced with pistols (I'm very much a rifle guy), I don't have any pistols to compare this gun to except the one time I fired a Glock. With that in mind, I love this pistol. It feels right in my hand and the back straps can be changed to better fit a person's hand, I use the smallest. The sights are decent and accuracy is excellent. I find it very controllable and fun to shoot.

Taking apart the P99 is extremely easy. No tools are required to field strip it and I can do it in 10 seconds or so. To detail strip to clean the striker and extraction arm only takes a small punch, and the same for changing the backstrap.

The Backstraps

Broken Down for detailed cleaning

I can't find anything bad to say about this gun. The worst I can think of is that the front rail I've heard is too short for a majority of accessories but I haven't tried to put anything on it yet so I don't know personally.

So that ends my review of the P99AS. Next in my series of personal collection reviews will be my H&K SL8. I also have a Swedish Mauser, Russian Captured Mauser K98, and Russian SKS I can go over if people are interested.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Thanks for the review! This is my all time fav handgun.

I've taken the slide apart for cleaning - never tried removing all the parts from the frame, however.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I don't mess with trying to take out the frame stuff. Too many small springs for me to keep track off.

For all my guns I leave the trigger assemblies alone as I'm definitely not comfortable doing so yet. And of all the tools I have, I'm missing a good set of punches which would be useful to taking those apart.

And I agree with you, favorite handgun. I can't even remember when I feel in love with it (and no, it's not because of 007). It will be the only handgun I'll own unless I can get a WW2 era Colt 1911.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I actually avoided itf or years BECAUSE of 007 - I don't care for bond. But I rented one in 2005 a few times and got hooked...

·
Registered
268 Posts
I do have a question about the trigger on the A/S. I know it goes into A/S mode after the slide has been racked, but does it ever go to SA mode when firing, or does that all depend on how you take your finger off trigger during reset?

It seems that my tax return is going to treat me to a new pistol, and if I can't get a hi power, I'm taking a hard look at a fullsize P99AS. From the reading I've been doing, I've seen no complaints with the design (other than some bitching about the mag release biting them?), no cracked locking blocks, broken trigger return springs, etc. Though I prefer the old style frame, the pistol still has plenty of sex appeal (a big thing for me), so I'm trying to gather as much info as I can about them. I've already ruled out several guns I was once interested in.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Yes - it is a Double action/single action gun. 1 shot is DA - all the rest are SA. Or, you can use the A/S option and make the 1st shot have the SA weight pull with the DA length.

·
Registered
268 Posts
So it basically only goes to AS mode if your finger is off the trigger, as in when chambering a round for the first time?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Just confirming my suspicions, much obliged sir.

You don't happen to know of any sites with more information on the pistol, do you? Torture tests, round counts, how to to fully disassemble the pistol, etc? I like to know everything I can about a pistol before possibly buying it.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Nice review bluesoma. I look forward to more of these.

The P99's are nice, and they fit well in most peoples hands it seems.

I had the P99 DAO for a while, but I just don't care for DAO guns, so I sold it. Then I got a QA and thought it was kinda neat but I still liked my Glock better, so I parted company with it too. Later I got the P99cAS for carry purposes and I like it the best of the the P99 variants but I just can't get used to the mag release, so I carry other guns more often. Last year I had a full size P99AS and dumapus has it now. He hasn't said how he likes the mag release that I have seen.

I may sell off my P99cAS later this year as I have aquired a SIG P225 and P228 to fill my 9mm carry slot. If the P99's had an "American" style mag release I would probably still have all four of them.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Texas Armadillo said:
I may sell off my P99cAS later this year as I have aquired a SIG P225 and P228 to fill my 9mm carry slot. If the P99's had an "American" style mag release I would probably still have all four of them.
See, I LOVE my P(9 A/S - the fullsize is the best handgun I have ever shot, IMHO. And, I like the mag release - it is similar to the HK mag release, and I prefer it to the standard button release.

If I didn't already have my P99c, I'd buy yours from U. That would also have made a better "car gun/beater gun" than the Ruger I just bought :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts