FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On another thread, it was commented by someone how they were surprised to see so many Walther P99's here.

So, who has 1?

The fullsize P99 A/S is my all time fav pistol. I wish I had discovered it before 2005. I'd take an A/S over a 1911. The SA trigger is so great. I requalified for my CHL last month, and I got my 1st perfect score - this time I had my P99 :)

All 3 of mine are hard chromed :)

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I saw Reaper ask about so many people seemed to have had S&W99's before FNP's, I didn't see the post about Walther's... But I have had a P990 that I sold, a P99QA that I Karma'd off, and I still have the P99cAS that is a member of my daily "carry" selection. Today is P232 day.

TA

·
Registered
395 Posts
Right now, I have mainly Sig Sauers (226, 228, 229) all 9mm.

But a compact H&K 9mm, and a Walther P99 9mm are on my list of MUST haves...

I'd love to get a P99 9mm with the green frame!

But I am constantly looking for a "good deal" on any 9mm P99 I see!

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turbozag said:
I'd love to get a P99 9mm with the green frame!
I wanted one too - but they only import the QA models with the green frame. The preferred A/S trigger only comes into the US in black - There are green A/S's out there, but all are from 2003 or earlier. So, you'd have to buy a used one to get a green one with the A/S trigger.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Explain the difference between the 2 trigger types please...

Is one the DAO? And the other the 'quick action trigger"?

Whats the difference between the P99 and P990?

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is a good thread that explains it:

http://www.handgunforum.net/showthread.php?t=7631

As for DAO - there used to be a version imported - it was called the P990. Now, it's just the P99 DAO - but since the change, they have not imported the DAO version. No one wanted it when it was the P990 - In fact, a couple of years ago, U could buy the P990 new in closeouts for like $300 or less, if I remember correctly.

It is the A/S that is the best trigger on the gun - but check out that link and it will explain it to U. :shock:

·
Registered
395 Posts
Roger that.

Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have my eye peeled for one at a good price.

Let me know if you see one!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I still have my old P99 from the first production run. It has the old Walther Rail, and a threaded barrel.

Pics will come, when I am in the mood to dig it out, lol.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Damn Reaper... I was gonna tell you not to bother with pics..

Just send the old dusty thing to me....

Then I saw that you are in Switzerland...

Never mind.....

:cool:

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I get my full size P99AS next week. It's used (250 rounds) but in like new condition.
:D
TA

·
Registered
156 Posts
ShipWreck said:
Any more P99 owners here?
Yep- It's a well conceived, nicely realized pistol. The grip is great. The only thing that it's lacking is a single stack .45 variant from Walther... I know, I'll never see it.

:grin:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Is there any difference between the Walther and the S&W? I see a lot of Walthers but not many S&Ws.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dumapus said:
Is there any difference between the Walther and the S&W? I see a lot of Walthers but not many S&Ws.
Walther makes the frame for the SW99/SW990L - S&W makes the upper.

It is really the same gun - it just has a different appearance. And, most people prefer the Walther version. I will admit that the Walther looks kewl.

I have both a fullsize P99 A/S and a fullsize SW99. The SW(9 was discontinued at the end of 2005. They made the SW990L thru 200-6 - that is basically a clone of the P99 QA. They took the SW990L out of the 2007 catalog - but it is still on the S&W website. U don't see many, so it may have been discontinued too.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I believe the main differences are that the SW99 frame has a rounded trigger guard and that the slide and barrel of the SW99 are stainless steel with a melonite treatment as opposed to the carbon steel and tenifer treatment of the P99.

One of the things that may account for you not seeing a lot of SW99's is that S&W messed up on marketing the SW99 by sending mixed messages. For example, when the gun had a decocker they touted it as a necessary safety feature. Later when they introduced the SW99OL which is a SW99 with a P99 QA action, they eliminated the decocker and told people the decocker was unneeded. I spoke with the sales people from S&W at the SHOT Show and they said changes like this made them look stupid to their customers (i.e. law enforcement).

Lastly, there is a common belief that the Walther made gun is superior in quality to the S&W model. I'm not saying that is the case, it just happens to be the public perception. I can't speak about current production SW99's but the early SW99's did seem to have rougher finishes and more tooling marks than the Walther P99's and I think that is the source of the belief.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Great info and just in time. I am headed to a GunShow this weekend with the intent of buying a Walther on the recommendation of the folks here and after seeing and shooting my buddies "new" SW99 (he traded a G19 for it). Neither of us new the difference between the two but I really liked the feel. Thanks

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, at the end of 2005, Walther USA stopped importing the A/S P99 model for almost 6 months. So, I finally gave up and bought the SW99 (I did manage to get a compact A/S 9mm - just couldn't find a fullsize one until June 2006).

It is a nice gun. I had a $1200 1911, and I shot better with the SW99 that I paid $439 for new. It was irritating, actually. I've since given up on expensive 1911s - because of the P99s... Now that I have the Walther A/S, I shoot it just a tiny, tiny bit better than the SW99 - But, for all intents and purposes - they are the same gun...

Here is mine - hard chromed...

I think it looks much better 2 toned...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts