FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I haven't posted on here in awhile, but I got a question for y'all. My mom just got a new job, working in a larger city, and she asked me to help her find a good gun for her. She is 4'11" and has small hands. I'm personally not going to recommend anything shorter than a 3" barrel, so a subcompact is the gun style we are interested in, and single stack for her small hands (she can barely shoot my fnx 40, and definitely not with one hand) so we stumbled on a Walter pk 380, and she likes that way it feels in her hand, but no luck on finding one to shoot before we buy it. I don't want this to end up in a cartridge war, but, if y'all have shot or owned one, could you give a bit of insight on this firearm? And if there is something that might work as a substitute, I would be interested in that too. Thank you guys in advance for your input

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have one for my wife and one in my car. Excellent guns! Has a snappy but light recoil so practice is a must. Should be the perfect gun for her to carry. I have a co-worker who has tendinitis in both wrist. She was carrying a Ruger, then a M&P. After shooting my Walther, she went out and bought one. My wife fired about 500 rds without any problems. I have at least 1000 on mine, which hasn't been cleaned since I hit 500. Within 20-25 feet, my co-worker and my wife both can put a full mag thru the head.

·
Registered
421 Posts
My better half has one and loves it. DONT buy a pink one. It's a pain to keep the lower clean. Had to go that route our she would have wanted her PS90 coated pink.

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
Not posting to knock the PK 380 or thread hijack, but another option you might try is the S&W 380 Bodyguard. I have one, I mean I used to have one (all my guns and related accessories were lost in a boating incident, that is in another thread..:wink:) as a pocket gun. Has the built in laser, manual safety, and a long, but decent, trigger pull. That long pull is nice when I might have felt I was in a crappie place or situation I could pop off the safety and still carry in my pocket without worry of loosing the Jewels!!! I cannot personally speak for the PK 380 as I have not shot one However, I always hear good things from others. The Bodyguard is just a suggestion to try, definitely does not have the PK sexton appeal..

·
Registered
271 Posts
The PK 380 is a great gun. A good thing about it is that women do not have a problem racking the slide like a bunch do on the smaller guns. A bigger heavier slide is easier to grip and requires a lighter recoil spring.

·
Registered
862 Posts
When I read this I thought that a letter had been dropped and everyone was referring to the Walther PPK, I had either missed the PK or had forgotten about it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No that's fine! I am a full size gun guy, and I wanted all opinions to be considered, and that'll all of y'all for the info, what would be a decent price on a pk 380? For some reason I think that last one I looked at was 350?

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
I prefer the new Glock 42 in 380 over my Bodyguard and Ruger. Since FN doesn't offer a 380, this is my first and only Glock.
I do not have knowledge of the PK, yet the PPK is a nice pistol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts