FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm the proud owner of a new FNP 40 S&W and have put only about 150 rounds thru her so far. i've been checking this site regularly and haven't seen anything about +p ammo so my question is: 8) 8)

But reading the manual it says the barrel and slide have been built with substantial safety margins built in to be able to cope with the pressures developed by established american commercial loads.

So my question i guess is are +p and +p+ ammunition considered established american commerial loads? I'm relatively a new shooter and don't really know that much about different ammo's but if i were to want to try these for something would it be detrimental to the gun?

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
+p is a commercial load. But +p+ could be anything - and really isn't a good idea to shoot.

But, every manufacturer typically states that the regular use of +p will accelerate wear of the gun...

I personally think that if U are gonna use +p for carry - make sure that your gun works with it, and don't shoot the stuff all the time... Just occassionally...

·
Registered
268 Posts
My 9mm compact eats anything I put into it, commercial +p, and some 124 grain at 1300 fps or something strange loaded by a guy I used to know. Ejection pattern was the same with all ammo I've ever fired, so I don't think there's much of a difference in slide velocity. Because of that, I don't foresee any significantly increased wear and tear. The FNP series as far as I know was designed with the .40 first, which means it's going to be stronger than those simply beefed up from a 9mm. Also, there are no +p loads for .40, it's basically already at max pressure due to the way the cartridge was designed.

·
Banned
63 Posts
The majority of modern handguns can handle a moderate amount of +p.
But, as said before, there are no +p rounds for the .40s&w.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts