·
Premium Member
10,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post your State's stuff here :?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Any folks ever move from WA to TX or TX to WA? I might be looking at moving to WA soon and am wondering what the gun law differences are. I'd love to not have to modify anything!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Seattle area. So I found this: Washington Gun Rights

"Washington is an "open carry" state for firearms. This means a person may carry
a firearm in an exposed holster without any kind of permit unless there is
something that makes it specifically illegal."

What!? So I can just run my belt through a holster, throw a pistol in it, and walk out in public pistol fully visible, and I'm cool?

"Unlawful carrying without a Concealed Pistol License (CPL) occurs when a person
carries a concealed pistol on his person and does not have a CPL."

So... wait a minute. I believe I'm making this too difficult on myself. You can't carry a hidden pistol without a license, but you can carry one in the open no problem. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I think the idea is that people who have hidden firearms are more of a threat than people who have them visible in the open, and for the most part, that is true.

Arizona, until recently, was the same way.

Now, anyone in Arizona can carry a concealed weapon, no permit, or open carry it as well. A permit still has its benefits though, and I recommend one to everyone I meet who is thinking about carrying.

I personally don't like that anyone can go buy a gun, even though they may have never held one before in their lives, and carry it concealed. I think it should be mandatory to pass a basic safety and law course on guns before being allowed to buy one. I don't think that's too much to ask. if you can afford a 150 dollar gun, you can afford 30-60 bucks for the class. It's like driving, you can't drive a car safely until you learn how. Guns are not something that people instinctively know how to use safely. I see idiots with guns all the time at the dessert here, and I always scold them when they break a basic gun safety rule. I'll go out of my way to teach them the proper safety rules the moment I realize they don't know them.

I always reload my own gun before I do though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Seattle area. So I found this: Washington Gun Rights

"Washington is an "open carry" state for firearms. This means a person may carry
a firearm in an exposed holster without any kind of permit unless there is
something that makes it specifically illegal."

What!? So I can just run my belt through a holster, throw a pistol in it, and walk out in public pistol fully visible, and I'm cool?

"Unlawful carrying without a Concealed Pistol License (CPL) occurs when a person
carries a concealed pistol on his person and does not have a CPL."

So... wait a minute. I believe I'm making this too difficult on myself. You can't carry a hidden pistol without a license, but you can carry one in the open no problem. Am I missing something?
Nope, WA is an open carry state. You can legally be in public with a gun visible on your hip. Just keep in mind that some of the general public and businesses are ignorant of the law and may overreact if they see someone carrying a gun.

You need a CPL if you are going to carry concealed or carry in a vehicle (concealed or not). CPL's are easy to get in WA. Just go to the local Sheriff's Office, fill out the form, get fingerprinted, pay the fee, they conduct a background check, and you receive it in the mail in a week or so.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thanks for the info ReReDrock! I've been reading further into it and WA has more relaxed gun laws than TX.

Why did I think the entire West coast was a bunch of gun-hating hippies complete with drums, joints, and tofu? WA has the best state gun laws I've heard of yet - less than a year ago they decriminalized the use of cans within the state, too! (July 2011 I think it was.)

Well at first I was thinking about my gun collection as an excuse to stay put, but now I'm even more strongly considering the move. Thanks again for all the info folks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That's partly because while Washington is very Liberal, it's really only King County, parts of Pierce and Snohmish Counties that are over-run with the gun hating crowds. The rest of the state is much more gun rights.
Note that every year the so called reps in Olympia (state capital) try to over turn most of the more reasonable gun laws. So far we have been able to block them.
If you are moving to Seattle or somewhere in King county, know that the gun laws are tighter there than elsewhere in the state. Just be aware of that!
Let us know when you get here and we can direct you where to go for ranges, etc... Best wishes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Read the laws carefully, I think you will find that showing up in a Bank or a Bar with a gun on your hip will be problematic.;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks for the info ReReDrock! I've been reading further into it and WA has more relaxed gun laws than TX.

Why did I think the entire West coast was a bunch of gun-hating hippies complete with drums, joints, and tofu? WA has the best state gun laws I've heard of yet - less than a year ago they decriminalized the use of cans within the state, too! (July 2011 I think it was.)

Well at first I was thinking about my gun collection as an excuse to stay put, but now I'm even more strongly considering the move. Thanks again for all the info folks.
Hi Aggie here,

I made the move 10 years ago.

Firearm laws are much more stripped down here. I'd suggest reading the laws from the Revised Code of Washington

Anywhere near Seattle is where I would be careful with open carry. It's legal (if you can legally own the gun), but I'd expect lots of "man with a gun" 911 calls based upon what I've read and seen on TV. (That's the haven for gun hating hippies smoking joints and playing bongos.) As I was telling my friend from Austin, "Washington is a well balanced state. The liberals are in Seattle, the conservatives are in Eastern Washington, the anarchists are on the Olympic Peninsula, and the moderates live in the rest of the state."

I think that the main problem you would have in the Seattle area is finding someplace to shoot rifles.

·
Registered
108 Posts
In the Seattle Area, you've got these following range:

1. Seattle Police Athletic Association: Gotta submit to a background check to join and shoot with em, but given that it's a police range, it's cool
2. West Coast Armory: 5 star range as ranked by the NSSF, premium quality facilities and competitive prices on stuff
3. Wade's East Side Guns: Most well known range, but not the best facility
4. Kenmore Shooting Range: Very hunting oriented, with a good shotgun/trap range. Only one shot per magazine allowed, shoot slow etc. 100 yard rifle range open to public
5. Issaquah Sportsmens Club: 10 rounds per magazine, 100 yard range.
6. Renton Fish and Game. Good IDPA/USPSA clubs, but the actual range officers are short on manners.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Aggie here,

...Firearm laws are much more stripped down here. I'd suggest reading the laws from the Revised Code of Washington

...I think that the main problem you would have in the Seattle area is finding someplace to shoot rifles.
Agreed with read the Law! And take a class or two so you can actually understand what was written there!
Watch out for some of the range as they have a one shot limit!
Norpoint in Arlington has a very good public rifle range. Magazines are not limited. And prices are reasonable. Welcome | Norpoint Range
The other suggested are hit and miss. There are also quite a few outdoor ranges for shotgun and other long gun but many of them require membership.

Best wishes all.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Both my wife and I just received our CCW. It was easy to get and although they say a month, we had it within two weeks. Another benefit from getting it, having it allows you to buy pistols without having to wait 5 days to pick it up. They rightly figure if you pass the background check for the CCW, you will pass any other background check. Nice Benefit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
WA concealed carry permit (CPL) is recognized by Texas: so Texas CPL's should be recognized up here. I think you'll find that houses a quite a bit more expensive up here than in Texas - especially if you plan on living in Seattle. In fact, about everything is more expensive than in Texas, houses, food, and clothing.

You won't believe the Lib's that Live in Seattle. Only difference between San Francisco and Seattle is that it takes 3 people to start a protest here instead of 2; like in SF.

I live just north, in Snohomish County, not as bad and much more affordable.
Just one more point of emphasis: we have water and don't have droughts!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Any folks ever move from WA to TX or TX to WA? I might be looking at moving to WA soon and am wondering what the gun law differences are. I'd love to not have to modify anything!
I moved from WA to TX and then back to WA. CWP is much easier to obtain in WA. Other than that not sure about the differences.

·
Registered
165 Posts
In the Seattle Area, you've got these following range:

1. Seattle Police Athletic Association: Gotta submit to a background check to join and shoot with em, but given that it's a police range, it's cool
2. West Coast Armory: 5 star range as ranked by the NSSF, premium quality facilities and competitive prices on stuff
3. Wade's East Side Guns: Most well known range, but not the best facility
4. Kenmore Shooting Range: Very hunting oriented, with a good shotgun/trap range. Only one shot per magazine allowed, shoot slow etc. 100 yard rifle range open to public
5. Issaquah Sportsmens Club: 10 rounds per magazine, 100 yard range.
6. Renton Fish and Game. Good IDPA/USPSA clubs, but the actual range officers are short on manners.
nobody seems to like Wades. I am a member of West Coast for the indoor handgun range, it is great. I did not pay the much higher membership to shoot at their rather limited indoor rifle range. Issaquah Sportsman club has some cool facilities but the range is small and very busy, I do not recommend it because it is so damm busy, you will wait a long time for a lane on a sunny day. I shoot riles at Snoqualmie Valley Rifle Club. It's only 200 yds but it is private and inexpensive and the few longer ranges around here are capped with membership and have big waiting lists.

·
Registered
71 Posts
SBRs Coming to Washington

I have it from a good source that SBRs are likely to become legal in the state of Washington in 2014. This is the same source that knew about it becoming legal to use suppressors well in advance of the legislation being passed.

Save up your money, and start making a wish list!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I want to believe you so badly. Do you have any info to back this up?
Trust my gun dealer. He had his Class 3 SOT just magically in time to sell everyone suppressors.

I slightly fear that my tip off might endanger the legislation. If I am convinced that is the case, then I will edit my post
and instead announce that I am running for Miss Washington. :)

Edit: Let's just keep this "hidden" in gun forums until it becomes law.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts