FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years, I’ve written several columns on guns, and picked rhetorical buckshot out of my hide each time. Talking about firearms just sets some people off.

For advocating gun control, I’ve been called a moronic idiot and a lot worse. My manhood, virility, and — as if it matters — sexual orientation have been questioned. But I’ve always suspected the guys bragging about their big guns are compensating for a lack of size elsewhere.

What does bother me, though, is that in a country that still celebrates the frontier spirit, we’re becoming a nation of cowards and neurotics, gripped and governed by exaggerated fears of other people, especially people unlike ourselves. George Zimmerman saw something in hoodie-clad Trayvon Martin that made the unarmed African-American teenager a target.

Unfortunately, young Martin’s needless death didn’t change much. Nor did the slaughter of 26 people — 20 of them children — at the Sandy Hook elementary school in Connecticut nearly a year ago, by a gunman wielding an AR-15 assault rifle with a 30-round magazine. Since then, state and local governments have promoted more lax gun laws and wider latitude to use lethal force.

Last month, members of the Republican-controlled Ohio House of Representatives approved a measure that would modify the state’s concealed-weapons law, expanding the circumstances in which people can shoot to kill. For good reason, the Fraternal Order of Police and the Ohio Association of Chiefs of Police oppose the so-called stand-your-ground bill.

Ohio laws already state that people need not retreat in areas of personal domain, such as their homes. Extending that space to anywhere a person has a legal right to be invites vigilantism. Someone will die unnecessarily.
A recent Texas A&M study found that stand-your-ground states showed a “statistically significant 8 percent net increase in the number of reported murders and non-negligent manslaughters,” without decreasing incidents of burglary, robbery, or aggravated assault.

Read more: We?re locked and loaded with fear - Toledo Blade

·
Registered
230 Posts
Can someone clear up "non-negligent manslaughter"? I'm sad to say I can't comprehend what he's trying to say? I mean isn't saying non-negligent like saying on purpose? Or not on accident? So murder? Right?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts