FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a complete believer that if you do not have a light attached to anything you shoot, at night you are handicapped. Several times I have had a long gun out, trying my darnest to balance a handheld flashlight, and it is simply not worth it. That being said, my goal is to have a dedicated light for EACH of my firearms, so outfitting the PS is my next goal. I have a standard sized rail mounted at 3 o'clock as we speak. I have looked into the setup that Shipwreck has installed on his PS, i.e. Brinkman light with 1" scope rings. I am wondering though, when I installed a Surefire G2 into a 1" ring on a different rifle, the Surefire seemed just a bit over the 1" mark. That means if I tighten that light down, I would be compressing on the main body cylinder. It looks to me like the Brinkman is about the same size as the G2, so I would end up having the same issue. I was pondering the idea of (2) 1" GG&G QD rings (about $15 each) with a Surefire 6P LED. From what I gather the 6P is exactly 1" in diameter at the body cylinder, has very good light output, and very shock resistant. I don't want a heavy light mounted, but I cannot see any issues there with the 6P. The QD is important to me due to the possibility of switching out equipment on the move. OK so to the point here, does anyone see any potential problems with the idea I have layed out here? Am I misinformed about the cylinder size issue with the G2/ Brinkman light. Opinions matter to me here, and I would like to hear yours. Thanks! :cool:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Maybe I posted this in the wrong area, might be more appropriate in the modifications area.

·
Banned
328 Posts
I have the brinkman setup as well. The outside of the light is a layer of rubber which compresses under the scope rings so there is no deformation. The batteries slide in and out with no problem when it is tightened.

That brinkman light light is also only $15-$20. You can find decent rings at walmart for about $7.

·
Registered
15,552 Posts
The Brinkman works fine in the scope rings. I measures it beforehand - and it's about the 1" that the scope rings require. The Scorpion light is less than 1 inch, and that would have been a problem. I used to have a Fobus light attachment piece with the scorpion light hooked to it - but you can read my review in the Product Review" section - I hated that Fobus attachment. It was a SUPER pain in the butt to get on and off.

The scope rings with the Brinkman causes no issues...

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
If you are looking for a QD light like you said, for "switching out equipment on the move", I would not go the scope rings route.
I would get a QD rail mounted light from Surefire, Insight, or Streamlight.
I own and have owned just about every rail mounted light ever made, from the cheap Z5 to the newest X300.

They will be 10x faster to remove than a light in a scope right. Also, more importantly, it can easily be used on another long gun or pistol.
Let us know what you are looking for and maybe we can help you decide.
What other guns will/could this light be used one and what is your price range.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well for the time being I have a TLR-1 pistol light installed. This is my "get me by" setup, as I would much prefer a CR123 (2) cell LED light. Tomorrow, I am just going to test a bunch of setups, and see what works efficiently. I am going to buy the Brinkman (too low cost to pass up) and I am going to buy a G2 LED and see what works better. The PS was brought out this afternoon, not used though, on a felony level traffic stop. The PS was perfect in every aspect in that it is very manuverable, much more so that the M4 we have. It may not pack as much power as the 5.56 round, but when you are pointman for 15 min to 1/2 hr the PS is nice to have. I do not feel undergunned in any way, it is simply another tool for the job. Thank you for the comments so far, keep em coming. I may post pics at some point of the different setups and combos I try here. I think that installing a weapon light should be a high priority for everyone, balancing a handheld is not fun under stress.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol its 6:38 am, I still have not been to sleep, eh oh well right. Well I do have a G2 non LED, which I removed from the M4 it was on, and tried it with the GG&G rings (I am a huge fan of GG&G products). Well with some forcing, I was able to get the screws to take a few threads. It seems that the GG&G 1" rings are set up for a slot size a bit smaller than the 1913 that my rail uses. Tightening down the QD screws a bit more seem to keep it solid though. I have only (1) of these rings for the time being, so I am going to order another I guess. The good news here is that I think I will be able to install the G2 LED. It will be a very tight fit as this light is just slightly larger than the 6P. Call this stupid but the plastic finish on the G2 seems much more appealing on the PS than the gloss black of the 6P.
The one thing I like about the GG&G rings over the Walmart rings is the "extra clean" appearance that the GG&G has. There are only (2) screws with these rings facing downword, and there is just a catch lip on the top. That catch lip is what makes getting these polymar lights to fit right so hard, but looks tacticool!! Well I am going to order a G2 LED from Streichers today + an extra ring. If for some reason this does not work, I have a Cx4 that still needs a light :D Pics to follow

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quick update, I ended up ordering the Blackhawk Falcotta 6 volt weaponlight. It has an aluminum body, but is a matte finish vs the 6P Surefire's. Claimed output on this one is 95 lumines, and it is shock isolated, ie designed specifically with the idea of weapon mounting. The nice thing is that it is 1" diameter exactly, so should lock down nicely! the downside is, until I get it in person, it appears that I may only get one ring locked down on it as there does not appear to be enough room for two. Cost was $58.88 from Streichers.

·
Registered
93 Posts
flash light

I saw shipwreck's PS90 with a flashlight and I read about using a brinkmann flashlight from walmart. I bought one but I cant find rings to use to mount the light to my PS90.Does anyone have any info? I'm also looking for a pressure switch for my brinkmann.

·
Registered
15,552 Posts
Re: flash light

PD0907 said:
I saw shipwreck's PS90 with a flashlight and I read about using a brinkmann flashlight from walmart. I bought one but I cant find rings to use to mount the light to my PS90.Does anyone have any info? I'm also looking for a pressure switch for my brinkmann.
There is no pressure switch that will work with the brinkman.

But, if U bought the correct brinkman - wander over to the scope rings in Wal-Mart. I bought a pack with a red backing for $7 or less.

·
Registered
15,552 Posts
Here:

The screws must be WAY, WAY tightened with a flathead screwdriver ALL the way - or they will vibrate loose when firing the weapon...

·
Registered
93 Posts
mini mag lights

What do you think about using mini mag lights on you ps90? Is there anyone out there with a mini mounted.

·
Registered
15,552 Posts
I had a mini maglight on a shot gun - mounted with a pressure switch - several years back (they do make pressure switch tailcaps for the minimag light).

The problem is that they are not nearly as bright as the xenon bulb flashlights with the 123 batteries.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you use the Surefire G2, there is a pressure switch available for that light, and the Walmart rings will still work. If you read my prior post, I decided to use the Blackhawk Falcotta 6V, whick was $58.88. The light throw on this is amazing! The biggest selling point on it for me was that it is shock isolated. I cannot risk having a bulb failure due to dropping the light or recoil ect. This light gives me some insurance. I gotta break out the camera soon here and get those pics.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I've had no issues with recoil on the brinkman.
From what I have been told from multiple reputable sources, the Brinkman is a great light! My setup simply adds a bit of flavor to the mix, and the shock isolation is nice as this is a "semi" duty gun. I did end up using the walmart rings, but I went with the $10 ones that have 4 screws per ring vs. 2. Again, likely overkill, but a bit of extra insurance for a more failsafe setup. I will likely try the $7 rings on the Cx4 setup I am working on next :?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts