FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody!

I have been toying around with a few different options for mounting a light on my SCAR. The rifle serves home defense in some capacity, but also will be used for night classes and whatnot.

I'm mostly curious what you all are running for lights, and how/where they are mounted. SPECIFICALLY how and where you have mounted a standard stand alone flash light, not necessarily a dedicated weapon light that was made only to go on a rail (like the stream light TLR's and things like that.

I have a surefire G2X that I have been trying in a few different mounts and locations but would like to see what others have used and what works well for you. I'm trying to find a good solution that won't break the bank (already did that buying the scar!)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Don't have a 16 but on my 17 I run a inforce wml on a gear sector offset mount. Mines mounted about as forward as you can get it on a pws rail extension.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I picked up the G2X and a Mako group (FAB) light mount. Looked like a good option. I wanted something sturdy but quick detach as this will not live on my rifle. That was the number 1 requirement, quick detach.

Unfortunately, being a twist cap, the G2X did not work out in the Mako mount as it was too long and only about 1.3" of tailcap was exposed and its not too easy to get a grip and turn it on.

I had another random el-cheapo mount sitting around so I tried that and while being a cheapy, it seems like it's fine. How sturdy does it need to be? I cant see it breaking unless i wailed it on a rock or a wall or something, and I mean wailed it! It's quick detach by way of thumb screw and locks down nice and tight.

Tried mounting it up, and its okay but it kind of gets in the way of my grip. Have to put my thumb in a weird spot (I'm left handed)

Works though.

I then threw a Fenix TK12 into the mako mount to see how that fares. It actually works pretty well, but again, the position of it eats up alot of space on the front and makes it slightly awkward to grip the rifle. I am also on the line about the clicky tail cap. It's nice, but at the same point when in this configuration it would be fairly easy to tap it with a finger or knuckle and shut it off. I like the twist style of the surefire because ones its on it stays on until you twist it off, but it still has a momentary switch that is impossible to click too far and switch the light on, and by untwisting the cap a little more it locks it out so it cant accidentally turn on.

On the plus side this mount is easier to go on and off with, and is nice and sturdy. mounts solid.

I tried mounting the offset light across the top, but found it ate up too much of the field of view directly next to the front sight post. You can see the sights totally fine, but the light just covers the area directly to one side of it, which is no good.

Lastly, I have arrived at this as my prefered configuration, but I'm still looking to see if there is anything better. Using the offset mount and putting it DOWN, allows me to maintain a mostly normal grip on the front of the rifle, and still lets the tail cap be easily accessible.

Still looking to see if there are other or better options, or things other people have tried that are similar but work better for them.

I had also looked into a quick release scope ring, but that would likely present the same problems as the MAKO mount as it will eat up the same space on the side rail.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I do have a weapons light that is dedicated, but I also have a set up that I can use my stand alone light as a weapons light with Quick Release rings. I use the 3 or 2 cell MX-400 light with QRW High rings and it makes the intensity adjustable bezel clear the rail by .010" or .012". The photos show it with the 3 cell battery set up with push button tail switch which is longer but gives insane battery life. Plus that model has a blinding strobe setting too. Then to take it off you only have to flip a couple levers and then it's in your hand. Being a left handed shooter, you can run a stubby forend handle from Tango Down and your thumb comes up right on the tail switch. Works Awesome too!
I've been using this light to evaluate powders as to which ammo give the least amount of visible powder "smoke" per round as to not "white out" your vision while doing night shoots. Still have a few more brands of ammo to test. Some ammo after just 5 rounds is like trying to shoot through white shaving cream there's so much illuminated smoke. The "whiteness" of your lumes becomes a handicap at that point. Anyway..... there's my choice for flashlight to weapons light and back again.

Good shooting to you!

gun light close.jpg gun light.jpg IMG_6960.JPG

·
Registered
25,418 Posts
SF 600 Ultras here, mounted on Gear Sector mounts on the 3 o'clock rail.

Regardless of what light you choose, a bit of advice I received from solid men - "always install fresh batteries, before you hit the door."

-SS

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
In the vein of "every time we add something we also take something away" I went with the new, smaller, lighter -surefire x400GU's & they are perfect for my application on all pistols, shotguns and rifles. I highly recommend a look at these new units!

BBG-

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
You should look into offset rail mounts, with these you can use the 12 o'clock rail and they don't interfere with the 3 & 9 o'clock rails or your grip. As an option you can add a tailcap mounted remote switch and attach it to the side rails putting light control "in" your grip...

View attachment 27431

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi everybody!

I have been toying around with a few different options for mounting a light on my SCAR. The rifle serves home defense in some capacity, but also will be used for night classes and whatnot.

I'm mostly curious what you all are running for lights, and how/where they are mounted. SPECIFICALLY how and where you have mounted a standard stand alone flash light, not necessarily a dedicated weapon light that was made only to go on a rail (like the stream light TLR's and things like that.

I have a surefire G2X that I have been trying in a few different mounts and locations but would like to see what others have used and what works well for you. I'm trying to find a good solution that won't break the bank (already did that buying the scar!)
I went with a Elzetta Bravo AVS on a ADM/Vltor 1" mount. The barrel shadow is there but doesn't bother me too much. WP_20140520_010.jpg

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You should look into offset rail mounts, with these you can use the 12 o'clock rail and they don't interfere with the 3 & 9 o'clock rails or your grip. As an option you can add a tailcap mounted remote switch and attach it to the side rails putting light control "in" your grip...

View attachment 27431
The one I have on there right now works like that but my problem was that it blocks everything in my
peripheral vision from about 1 o'clock to 3 o'clock.

Does that bother you at all?

·
Registered
240 Posts
I just returned a Surefire Fury M620P. Looked too large for the gun and made the gun feel front-heavy. The Surefire clamp on the 620 is pretty substantial and gets in the way. If you have to have one of these, I recommend getting the M600P with the screw mount (same light output). It's much less expensive, and with difference you can buy an offset clamp mount that's not as clunky as the Surefire 620's clamp.

Probably going to go with the mini-Scout as soon as they update it like they did the 600 series. Hoping they bump up the mini's output to at least 300 lumens.

For now I'm running an X300U at 6 o'clock right in front of the foregrip (foregrip protects the light's endcap from damage). On X-series lights the endcap is vulnerable on a long gun without the protection a trigger guard provides on a handgun. Using an extended rail and mounting the X-series light at 12 o'clock lets the front sight post protect the endcap as well, but I'm trying to keep the weight down. I'm actually liking the X light where it is - easy to activate with my thumb when holding the foregrip. I also like the light at 6 or 12 o'clock - at other mounting angles I find the shadow from the barrel to be distracting.

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
Opportune timing for this thread. I've been weighing options but haven't settled yet. Not sure whether this will help you but here is my thoughts.
My requirements:
- light weight
- high lumens (300+)
- remote switch capable
- mount offset to 3,6,9 o'clock

Optional
- NVD compliant

I do not own a NVD but do plan in the future so would like to future proof if possible.

I've only been focusing on surefire products to date so that narrowed my focus. To be honest, I am open to others but researching has been limited due to new baby.
Back on point, keeping withing requirements my options are m300b, m620, 925 series lights.
M300 is perfect except for not NVD compliant. M620 is NVD compliant but increased size and weight. The 925 is optimal size and weight but low lumens (150).
For me, I'm at an impasse with surefire products. Nothing fits my requirements perfectly. I will need to compromise or search another manufacturer. Any of the compromises isn't horrible but would like to not compromise. That's why I have SCARs.
As for the mounting location, there are several products out there and one which comes to mind is IWC mounts
http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/category/mount-n-slot/light-mount/.
Take a look to see if you like them. Magpul also has offset mounts.

Not meaning to hijack thread but I anyone has a suggestion for lights then I'm up for it.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Guess I'm the only one so far running a $50 light lol.
No you aren't. I was doing quite a bit of night hunting (hogs) and I had a couple different lights at my disposal. I had a streamlight TLR3, and A streamlight poly tac 180 lumen. I thought one of these would be bright enough for my application. I succeeded in taking a boar at 100 yards with the tlr3 but I could barely make out his outline. I knew the polytac wasn't as bright as the tlr3 so I went back to the drawing board. I ended up ordering and Olight triton 700 lumen off of ebay. That thing has been my bread and butter when it comes to night hunting. 100 yards is lit up like daylight and the uninitiated piggies freeze in their tracks when they see it. I think I paid 60$.

I will spend boatloads of money on firearms and firearm related items but as far as a "tactical" light goes the tlr3 fits my needs very well. I can't forsee lighting up a bad guy at 100 yards for any reason. Now a hunting light on the other hand is obviously a different ball game. Maybe one day I will drop 400 bones on a Surefire but I'm good for now.

By the way you didn't specify why you were mounting the light so... The reason I say that is because if you plan on shooting predators with your 17 or 16 out of a tree stand then mounting your light above your barrel may be a hinderance. Just food for thought.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts