FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I'm torn..

I've been debating on the Zeiss Zpoint and the Aimpoint T-1 for a while but then I stumbled upon Trijicon's red dots/amber dots and honestly, they look like they are good bang for the buck with the dual lighting option.

So I've used a red dot, I have a Aimpoint CompML2 on my M4. But have never used a chevron sight. Anyone have any input? Good, bad, better, worse?

I was debating on these two;

http://www.opticsplanet.net/trijicon-rx0911-cyalume-reflex-amber-chevron-sight-weaver-mount.html

or

http://www.opticsplanet.net/trijico...amber-dot-reticle-sights-flattop-adapter.html

I don't really care if its amber or red, a dot is a dot to me. Nice thing is they both come with the rail adapter (I have a tri-rail model) and the killflash cover which I don't think I need but oh well, its free :)

Penny for you're thoughts? Both of these are cheaper than the Aimpoint and the Zeiss... So they are a bit more appealing and still very low profile.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I don'yt like the chevon thing personally, and I can get an Aimpoint cheaper than those listed at that site.

Some guys like them, some swear by them. Others swear at them.

Me, I like a sights that I can pick the height its mounted above the rail. I don't like sights that pick it for me. Thats my only gripe with EO tech as well. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Those are the old Trijicon Reflex sights. I used a few of them in the mid-90's on my race guns. They were adequate at the time. 15yrs ago, they were becoming obsolete on the competition stage and replaced by mini-red dots or Aimpoints/Holosights (pre-EoTech).

Personally, I see no reason to buy one unless you just really want a chevron reticle in a tritium sight. $400 is way too much money for a Reflex, IMO. I frequently see them on the used market for $100 or less.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TexBiker said:
Those are the old Trijicon Reflex sights. I used a few of them in the mid-90's on my race guns. They were adequate at the time. 15yrs ago, they were becoming obsolete on the competition stage and replaced by mini-red dots or Aimpoints/Holosights (pre-EoTech).

Personally, I see no reason to buy one unless you just really want a chevron reticle in a tritium sight. $400 is way too much money for a Reflex, IMO. I frequently see them on the used market for $100 or less.
Wow I had no idea. I was looking for a low profile sight for my tri-rail, trying to keep it as low profile as possible.

Do you have any experience with the Zeiss sight or mini aimpoint?

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
I have Trijicon Tri-Power with a red Chevron.
The Chevron is great for up close targets and the tip of the Chevron is great for long range. IIRC its 1MOA at the very tip.
I got it because its tritium powered and fiber optic powered.
I didn't want to hassle with batteries draining, leaking, etc...
Main draw back with the Tri-Power is that it sits pretty high (as high as an Aimpoint).

IIRC the Z-Point sits fairly low and is solar/battery powered.
I mainly see them on H&K MP7s.

·
Registered
3 Posts
FiveOh said:
TexBiker said:
Do you have any experience with the Zeiss sight or mini aimpoint?
I've been running an Aimpoint T1 on my AR for almost a year and love it. Saw Pat Rogers using one in a class and bought one when I got home. I turned it on 10 months ago and the batteries should be dead in about 4 more years. :)

I just run a cheap RDP-II MRD on my tri-rail. The PS90 was just a toy/plinker for me, so I don't need anything special mounted there. Here's my current setup just for reference. I bought this one to replace a PS90 that was stolen about a year ago and have never even shot it. I keep trying to trade it away, but either my schedule or the buyer's schedule gets in the way.

NOTE - PHOTO RESIZED BY ADMIN - PLEASE KEEP IMAGES AT 800 PIXELS OR LESS (WIDE)!

·
Registered
475 Posts
go with the micro aimpint, but get the H-1 (non night vision) so its a little cheaper.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought a used Trijicon Reflex about a year ago to try out and I sold it without putting it to much use. The Trijicon Reflex compared to my Aimpoints and Eotechs paled in comparison.

As for my PS90 Tri Rail, I got a little frustrated at first finding an optic that satisfied me visually and allowed me to get a good cheek weld (most I tried were too high). I thought I was a genius getting a Larue Iron Dot but it proved to be too high. In hindsight I should have known as the mount on it is designed to raise the sight height on an AR for the Mini Red Dot (Burris Fast Fire in this case) to co-witness the irons. I had tried my Aimpoint Comp M2 prior to that and it too required more of a chin weld which I did not like. I was going to get a C-More (which I felt was a little outdated) but I didn't want the plastic one and didn't think $400 for the aluminum was worth the money. Since I was contemplating spending $400 on a C-More I figured $500 for an Aimpoint Micro was worth a shot. I am so glad I did. To me the Aimpoint Micro (mine is a T-1) is the perfect little sight for the PS90! It allows me a perfect cheek weld and the sight is typical Aimpoint tough with long-ass battery life.

As mentioned above you can get the H-1 which is the same as the T-1 without night vision settings and save about $100. I got a good deal on the T-1 (same money as a H-1 everywhere else) so I got it instead.

FWIW, I do think the mini-red dots, like the Docter, RDP-II, Fast Fire, etc. would also work well for the PS90 Tri Rail as far as sight height but the Aimpoint is far less prove to damage and has more settings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts