FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this damage from myself pulling the Otis cleaning rod (not the rod but the roll up-able type that you pull through your barrel) through the barrel without a bore guide? Or is this from my barrel getting too hot, erosion of some sort.. Or just from wear? There is some carbon built up on there that I have to clean off as well. Sorry for the crappy iPhone pics.
image.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks sarge, I had a feeling it was gas erosion. I was unsure, so I thought I would ask. +1

Reactions: STL

·
Registered
409 Posts
Just be happy you can't see the throat erosion...

Guys get all paranoid about muzzle guides and bore guides but don't seem to realize that the gas and burning powder is doing more damage than a naked rod.

Barrels are a consumable item.

H

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At 2000 -2500 steel case and about 1000-1500 brass case through the barrel, I can see noticeable throat erosion when viewing the barrel from the back of the receiver with my naked eye. Wonder what it would look like with a bore scope. Noticeable accuracy has degraded but not by much within 100 yards. Groups have opened only about .5 to an inch at most.. Or my shooting is just deteriorating.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good point, I use my scar with a ACOG and I only shoot out to about 400 yards. I can hit a 12x12 steel plate at 350 yards 17/20 times on average, so I think my accuracy is where I want it. I use the scar as a battle rifle, so I don't obsess over the loss of accuracy. Hell my stock is one of those loose stocks so maybe it could be something with the stock becoming a lil loose. Honestly I don't mind, I shot a lot of steel case ammunition so I'm glad my rifle still works. And greatly at that!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Consumable yes, at what degradation point (round counts) will accuracy be affected - 10,000 rounds?

Short of bullet strikes on the comp or carbon build up on the comp..... or during extreme precision shooting from a bench/sled.....you are unlikely to see any noticeable accuracy differences solely from erosion in a compensator....you are much more likely to see your personal level of accuracy be affected by your reaction to the gun shooting differently (increase in recoil, gun torquing differently, louder report, etc)

·
Registered
127 Posts
At 2000 -2500 steel case and about 1000-1500 brass case through the barrel, I can see noticeable throat erosion when viewing the barrel from the back of the receiver with my naked eye. Wonder what it would look like with a bore scope. Noticeable accuracy has degraded but not by much within 100 yards. Groups have opened only about .5 to an inch at most.. Or my shooting is just deteriorating.
You confused me there , is there more erosion with brass case than steel ?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You confused me there , is there more erosion with brass case than steel ?
I was stating about how many rounds I have through my barrel and which types I have shot. This has nothing to do with the OP about the gas erosion on my muzzle but when asked about throat erosion I just chimed in that I have noticed a loss in accuracy over the years. I wasn't concerned about the wear on the PWS brake but more intruiged by what I saw which is why I started this thread.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
HC015***, do you shoot rapidly and not let the barrel cool? Seeing a 1/2" degradation in accuracy at only 4k rounds seems excessive, so possibly it could be your firing schedule. Another poster noted the same excessive throat wear in his SCAR16 with only 6k rounds and specifically stated that he did not have a rapid firing schedule.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One time I had a jacket melt on my barrel of my 17s, I know.. It was a nightmare. But I contacted Fnh and they told me to shoot the barrel till it got hot enough to scrap off the plastic. It was still damn accurate after that but the change in ammo could be the cause. My 17s likes the PPU M80 a lot but the PMC stuff isn't as accurate.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice find cadpack,

I wonder how much it would cost to send in your barrel and have your assembly re-barreled rather then buy a whole new assembly. Is that even possible?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update : PPU M80 is much more accurate in my 17s.

I took off my barrel, applied a lil amount of TW-25b grease on the rails after cleaning out the last grease that was applied before, and re-tourqed my barrel back to spec. Cleaned her up and took 100 rounds of PPU M80 to the range.

I shot 20 with my irons and it was shooting just a hair left at 25 yards. I didn't care much as I know out to about 300 yards the irons are on. I left them be, and slapped on the ACOG. (Model TA11-E)

I was shooting at 25 yards using the 300 yard hash mark in order to obtain a BZO of 25/300. I placed all my shots center of mass of the 300 yard hash mark. Besides shooting just a hair left before I ran out of bullets, I zeroed my rifle. This way I could see my target in my 3.5x magnification sight. I ran out of bullets before I could see where this put me at 100yards. I don't have a rifle range where I can access easily that's past 200 yards. I want to shoot a 12x12 steel plate at 300 yards to see if this BZO stuff works. I had done this once before and had great success with a BZO of 50-350ish yards. I read that you can obtain a better BZO through a 25/300 however.

All in all, compared to PMC, my groups at 50 yards were about 1/2inch. My rifle justs responds better with the PPU. I have had .75-1 MOA groups out to 100 yards so next range trip I will see where this BZO of 25/300 has put my point of impact at 100 yards.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Changes of accuracy can usually be linked to the shooter or the ammo.

Federal 168gr OTM is a laser in my 17. Prvi 145gr is decent but nowhere near as accurate.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have tried federal gold medal match before with only a slight difference in accuracy. Thanks for the heads up I may try a box or two. I figure for a battle rifle, the PPU M80 is ammunition which is in the perfect area of price vs accuracy. More bang for your buck!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I guess it depends on how crabby I am. If I'm happy, I shoot okay. If I'm upset, I shoot better. If I'm enraged, anything inside one mile belongs to me.

:-D

-SS
Woot! I am glad I am not the only one..

On occasion I will loose my zen and keep missing and then when I finally get really mad about it I will get the hit and keep getting hits until I decompress.

I wonder if I would be decent at 3 gun if I just had someone slap me in the face a couple times before shooting a stage, lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts