·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Excellent!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Here's a testament to the accuracy of the Scar 17 @ 200 yards using an ADM bi-pod, Mark 6, and a custom load I worked up. I don't know what measurement is but I'd say for me it's good.
Posted originally here: http://fnforum.net/forums/handloadi...73-17s-range-report-load-data-imr-4895-a.html

View attachment 34212
Shooting those kind of groups sure does feel good, doesn't it? Especially when you work up your own loads!

BTW, your group size is .614. That is outstanding for an autoloader @ 200 yards.

Scar17group_zpsd7eaeb0f.jpg

I would encourage you to shoot this 20 round challenge. It will really show you what you and your system are capable of. I have shot one other .1 group, and a few .2s with my SPR. I used to think, well hell, I have a .2 setup. Not quite. It has to be repeatable and averaged to give you a true glimpse into what you can really do. It also takes into account your shooting skills, and barrel heat impact on your groups. Plus its a lot of fun!

Do it and post your results.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the comments!

Be fun if we could do something similar on this forum. I have now downloaded OnTarget to be able to measure groups like the OP did in that thread.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
As soon as I get my new rings I will be doing this shoot. I think I have found the perfect round for my SPR...
I really need to try some 175 gr SMK's in mine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It is hard to find the FGMM 175s and the 7.62X51 in 175 didn't shoot this nice. I was shocked by how well these SSA rounds performed and I have bought a ton of them to practice with and possibly do a 1000 yard milk jug challenge they do locally here in Utah. So far they are super consistent out to 600 yards which is the max for my range, but I will try and reach them out farther as time allows.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was also hesitant because everyone I talked to about using a heavier bullet in a 1 in 11.25 twist barrel said that the best round would be the 155 grainers but I took a chance and it paid off.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I was also hesitant because everyone I talked to about using a heavier bullet in a 1 in 11.25 twist barrel said that the best round would be the 155 grainers but I took a chance and it paid off.
Well, these rifles have done well with 175's in the past. Not sure I'd go heavier though. I need to get some 155's as well. My rifle seems to love 168 gr FGMM (have my best groups with that, trying to beat it with reloads but haven't gotten there yet).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Another bullet to consider is the Hornady 178 AMAX. Before I got into reloading, FGMM would get me consistent .5 groups, but never much better than that (save for the lucky occasional group). I then had my A1 bedded by Short Action Customs, and Lapua brass with 42.2gr Varget, and the AMAX seated to 2.950 has gotten me two groups in the .1s, and a few in the .2s. My average though (as illustrated by my results in the 20 round tests) seems to hover in the .4 range. Of course this is a single loaded round, and that can't be discounted.

·
Registered
63 Posts
nice.

i would love to try the ontarget software.....but it wont run on my mac....ggggrrrr!

nice shooting!
Have you tried Crossover ( www.codeweavers.com )? I use Crossover to run QL, QTU, Quicken, and other windows software. QL runs well, though a couple things require just a touch of patience for them to complete. I installed ontarget yesterday. It seems to run, though it's S-L-O-W at a couple of points. I don't have anything but the trial version, and I just quick-tested a couple functions. It would be great if someone with the full version would try it for a while to see how much functionality is there under Crossover.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts