FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had always thought the bull pup design was interesting but never gave it much thought after that. Enter the PS90.

The more I handle and fire the PS90 the more I am in love with the bull pup design. As compact as possible while avoiding BATFE/SBR paperwork and still keeping a respectable barrel length for max velocity = gotta love that!

Had been seriously considering the MSAR. Handled one yesterday and thought it very cool, and streamlined. Down side? Close to $2K price tag and magazines are proprietary so my collection of AR Mags would not be of use for this rifle.

How about the F2K? Handled on of those and thought it kinda bulky. Plus again you’re nearing $2K. I'm not poor, but have a hard time justifying a rifle for $2K...when I could buy several other rifles/handguns for that price....

What other bull pup could I look at...hmmmm. Oh yeah. Didn't Bushmaster make a bull pup back a couple years? Yeah, the M17S. Never took off. So I did some research and found they were around for sale and about 1/3 the price of the MSAR or F2K.

Now it will need some modifications, I know, but those shouldn't cost more than $300-400. With a buying price of $500-600 for an M17S plus another $300-400 you will have a reliable bull pup that uses AR mags for slightly more than half the cost of the MSAR or F2K.

Anyway, if anyone is interested I will update with my progress as I convert my M17S into my perfect bull pup.

Cheers,

The top M17S is a stock rifle, while the bottom OD frame M17S is what I want mine to look like. This is my inspiration photo.

What I will change from this pic on mine...vert grip, Eotech or Aimpoint, BUIS, weapon light and Yankee Hill FH'er. Entire package should be OAL of 26.25" just legal and still with a 17-18" bbl. Plan to have the bbl recontured (thinned) for max weight loss.

Another inspiration photo....

·
Registered
350 Posts
one thing you might want to watch for, the trigger pack comes loose occasionally on some m17s

ive seen em do this at the range quite a few times

theres an L shaped spring in the back that pops out of its carrier and the weapon wont fire

i dont know if its a common thing but ive seen a few rifles do it

·
Registered
414 Posts
My first rifle was a pre-ban M17s.

Good rifle,. just very ammo sensitive. Also a PITA to take apart once a shell gets stuck inside the stock. With the right work, full upper rail, shaved cocking lever, cut the barrel and metal down, it does the job well. They are pretty cheap nowadays too.

Good luck with it . Don't shoot Wolf through it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
one thing you might want to watch for, the trigger pack comes loose occasionally on some m17s
ive seen em do this at the range quite a few times
theres an L shaped spring in the back that pops out of its carrier and the weapon wont fire

That's something I've never seen.
I own 2 M17 bullpups and have shot over 2000 rounds through my modified gun. It's been perfect with every shot. (except when I forgot to put the disconnector spring back in)
I've used some Remington .223, but 1000 round cases of Winchester are always a better deal.
I've never used Wolf ammo in anything but AK-47s.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Holy CRAP! Where did you get your M17? People seem to be coming up with them no problem. I'm dying to get my little paws on one......

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it off ARFCOM EE. They pop up every so often. GunBroker.com has a couple usually, but some of the guys at GB.com think they got a solid gold rifle and want $800+ for an M17S. Nice rifle, but far from universally desired....you gotta happen upon one of us fools! :?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
M17S in hand....torn down....barrel boxed up and shipped for shortening....already in discussion with local old-time machinist who is going to cut down the receiver & add cooling holes...ordering picatinny rails/BUIS/Aimpoint within minutes....vert grip already ordered....project moving at warp speeeeeeed! :shock:

·
Registered
414 Posts
QB 45 said:
Anyone?

*crickets chirping*
There is a NIB one for sale at a gunshop in CT which had all the updates done by bushmaster recently. It's around $700.
If you want I'll get you their phone #. I think it's a pre-ban too.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Paid $560 for mine....

Just got the receiver back with cooling slots cut and nose of receiver cut down...big smiles.

Rails should be here tomorrow.

Barrel hopfully will be back my early next week...I'm dying!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Paid $560 for mine....

Just got the receiver back with cooling slots cut and nose of receiver cut down...big smiles.

Rails should be here tomorrow.

Barrel hopfully will be back my early next week...I'm dying!

Cool. Be sure to post some pics!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well progress thus far....

As you can probably tell the nose was cut down about 1.5", and cut at the same angle as the stock receiver.

There are three large slots on the starboard side and two on the port. Where the third slot is on the starboard there will be a 4" length of rail on the port side for acc. Primarily a forward sling loop - CQD Dieter forward loop...love those.

The three rails are for top (longest), bottom (6") and port side (4").

Top is getting Midwest Ind flip-up BUIS and Aimpoint on forward cantilever mount.

Bottom is getting ACE Ltd vert grip and Viking Tactical off-set light mount for a LED equipped G2 for thumb activation.

Plans for side rail list above.....

Drilled and installed a single loop point just forward of the mag well area (where the single point is clipped for now....the single was laying around bored..) on the port side. Plan to use VTac with H&K clips for quick transition from two-point to single point set-up...a pers fav.

Threw a quick coat of flat black over the bare metal (from the cooling slots cut and nose cut). Plan to Diamondkote in OD...eventually.

Now I went BIG on the cooling slots as I see them as serving three purposes...
1 - Cooling slots as I hear the M17S gets plenty hot with the bbl encased in an aluminum tube after sustained fire (a couple mags worth...)
2 - I took a substantial amount of material out = weight loss!
3 - There is an annoying habit of the M17S to occasionally allow a round to slip forward out of a mag and go past the receiver block and up into the nose of the receiver. With these larger ports, it will be a simple thing to tilt to the side and the round "should" tumble out...we'll see. Without access holes it is a difficult thing to get the round out. The stock cinfig is basically a sealed alum tube with a barrel down the middle...with a small slot near the receiver for those pesky rounds to slip thru...

Once I get an idea I am very impatient getting the project done!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The mag well (polymer frame) can be opened ever so slowly with fine sand paper and some elbow grease..and then alittle silicone spray. My mag well was tight with some of my mags, now it is very smooth. Not too loose, but smooth, easy one hand operation.

Did I mention the mill work cost me a fifth of Jack? Decent deal.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Man, I've got to get one of these. I have a "WTB" post in the Other Gun Stuff subforum, and I'm chasing other leads, but they're hard to find.

·
Registered
30 Posts
1 - Cooling slots as I hear the M17S gets plenty hot with the bbl encased in an aluminum tube after sustained fire (a couple mags worth...)

3 - There is an annoying habit of the M17S to occasionally allow a round to slip forward out of a mag and go past the receiver block and up into the nose of the receiver. With these larger ports, it will be a simple thing to tilt to the side and the round "should" tumble out...we'll see. Without access holes it is a difficult thing to get the round out. The stock cinfig is basically a sealed alum tube with a barrel down the middle...with a small slot near the receiver for those pesky rounds to slip thru..

Do you have personal experience with these issues?
I have literaly thousands of rounds through these rifles with no problems.
I can empty a Beta mag in 30 seconds without extreme heat on the outer frame.
Never has a round gone anywhere, except into the chamber.

Is this info verifiable, or internet banter?

The ONLY issue I've had is the ejection port getting scratched by the shells. This allows the aluminum to show. I touch up the sides of the port with a permanant marker, and all is well again.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Relax. I'm not knocking your M17S. Heck, I searched for months for a decent priced M17S. I really wanted one!

Those are some of the issues I've heard/read about from alleged owners...

Throw #1 and #2 out the window...I still feel the M17S is too heavy. I removed a fair amount of weight with those holes. That with the reduced length of the receiver and shortened bbl should shave close to one pound. Which is a lot on a rifle this size and weight.

I'm very pleased to hear yours has been reliable. Makes me glad I bought one!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts