FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
300 rds down the pipe. Cleared it and the trigger was dead. Couldn't field strip it, locked the slide back and realized the striker had failed. This is my carry gun by the way. Needless to say, I immediately ordered the Apex striker.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
This is why I don't trust MIM's (metal injection molding) manufactured parts. I don't care what any genius says, there is something to be "said" for old-fashioned machined parts. Machined parts are more expensive yes, they're also considerably more durable.

·
Administrator
11,356 Posts
Machined over stamped and MIM any day of the week. MIM has it place but AFAIAC not on critical elements of a firearm. The sacrifice of .00002 oz of weight is not significant enough to warrant the many failures that we have seen concerning the MIM striker on this platform and many other platforms as well. Neither is the sacrifice of a few dollars. I would gladly pay the extra $20 for a critical piece like this to be reliable.

This is one of the main reasons that I do not own any striker fired weapons. I can't even imagine what the outcome/outcry would be if a 1911 hammer had a failure rate like the strikers because it was being used as intended. I know that some firearm parts fail due to many reasons but the failure rate of MIM strikers is of concern.

To me it does not matter if the firearm was dry fired or not. This is a part that should have a failure rate of 1 in one thousand or less IMHO.

Of course, this is just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Did the same thing (replaced with Apex before a possible striker failure) with two of the FNS slides I have. Haven't gotten around to doing it on the other two yet.

·
Registered
93 Posts
As much as I like my FNXs, this is a big reason why I've been hesitant to get an FNS or a 509. For striker fired weapons, I will stick with my M&P for the normal stuff, and my G20 for 10mm. I've passed up on some smoking deals on FNS-40s for that reason.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts