FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen comments about how the 5.7X28 is superior to the 9mm, but someone stated that there are some which ARE "better", ballistically. Does anyone happen to know which 9mm rounds would be "superior" to the 5.7X28?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to be coming back to this thread after several weeks of silence.

What I'm talking about is the "wound capabilities". When I tell people that the 5.7X28 round, such as the SS197, has great ballistics, they laugh and think that those who think so don't know what they're talking about.

I realize that this site is dedicated to weapons that shoot the SS197, but how much of the information I read is bias, especially on here?

·
Registered
408 Posts
I would suggest this... and I'm trying to be as gentle and kind as I can when doing it, so please don't be angry and understand it's for the best.

Do not talk on gun forums about things you do not fully understand and you will not have to go searching for the answer to back it up.

What I mean is, if you do not fully understand the ballistics of the round, you may not want to go around telling everyone that it has "great ballistics". It may very well have great ballistics, but unless you can speak knowledgeably about it, it really doesn't do you any good and only serves to get you some negative attention.

I only bring this up because internet forums are a brutal, ugly place most of the time, and people often times get bent or upset when someone can't answer their questions, or when someone calls them on something they've said.

You mentioned that when you tell people that the 5.7x28 round has great ballistics, they laugh at you. It's most likely not because they know the ballistics of the 5.7 round, but because they may know the ballistics of the 9mm rounds that they are so fond of. They are basically feeling offended that a smaller round can outpace the venerable 9mm. Well, they'd be right, until you can speak about the ballistics and characteristics of said bullet in a manner that would convince them otherwise. If you don't have the information readily available, it's adviseable that you not make claims about it.

I think people get caught up too much in terms like "wound channel, stopping power, hydrostatic shock, knockdown power" and the like. All that really matters with bullets is putting them on target, in the critical areas, as accurately as possible and as many times as possible in a short period of time. If you were in the unfortunate situation where you had to shoot someone in defense, just pray that you practiced shooting to a small area, say the heart, and pray that you can do it under duress. Weather or not the bad guy is shot with a 5.7, a .22, a .45, or a .454 is of little consequence if their heart is blown up into little bits or has 3 or 4 holes in it.

Every bullet has it's benefits... 5.7 holds 20 rounds, that's an asset, 9mm has more mass than a 5.7, that's an asset, .45 has more mass and makes a bigger hole, that's an asset. Every bullet has it's faults...5.7 is light and makes small holes, 9mm is kinda fast for its weight and can over penetrate at times, .45 is slow and has heavy recoil. The point is, there are ups and downs to every type of bullet and weapons system.

In closing, pick a weapon that you shoot extremely well, practice with it as often as possible, and hope to hell that you never have to shoot another human being in defense. Becuase you may have saved your life, but your life is effectively over, as you will undoubtedly get your pants sued off or even be jailed for it and spend the rest of your assets on lawyers.

It's all about shot placement peoples... shot placement, caliber is of little consequence.
Zhur

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Well said!!! :? :? :?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts