FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sent my 20 inch heavy barrel FNAR to Short Action Customs and had the barrel threaded and a Primary Weapon Systems Precision Rifle Compensator (PWS PRC) put on. I also had a trigger job done. It now breaks at a hair over 2 lbs. Took me by surprise the first time I shot it. Recoil is significantly less. I have not shot with others around so I cannot comment on how much louder it is to people around me. I shoot off a homemade wooden shooting bench with a bipod and sand bag under the rear stock.

I had to remount the scope and sight it in. My first 5 shot group at 100yds was 7/8 inch using 168gr Atomic match grade reloads. I quit while i was ahead and went to the 600 yd range. I have never shot that well before. At 600 yds the best I can do is 2MOA but that is me, not the rifle. I am a newbie to long range shooting and have a lot to learn.

I questioned spending so much money on the mods but now all I can say is WOW, thank you Mark.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Sounds Awesome! Let's see it! PLEEEEZZE! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Awesome group! Nice shooting. Looking forward to pics of the rifle as those are always appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
20140412_140049Large.jpg

I still am not sure what I am doing. which type of photobucket url do I chose? Anyway, here is my plain jane FNAR. Bushnell Elite 10x with mildot reticle. Note my homemade bench.

20140412_140055Large.jpg

Here is the muzzle brake.

20140412_140405Large.jpg

My benchrest is an old portable workbench with scrap lumber. The 2x4 fits in the workbench top and I tighten it down. Very stable and comfortable. And of course a Walmart metal folding chair. Everything pack up nice and is easy to transport.

20140412_154104Large.jpg

I zero my FNAR for 200 yds so I want to be shooting about 3 " high at 100 yds. This was my final group and I said good enough. Just a hair over 1 MOA.

20140412_154145Large.jpg

So I should be shooting POA at 200yd. It was a windy day so I called this good enough. Don't know how much the wind affects bullets at 200 yd but it was blowing left to right.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I did not know there was a picture limit. I wanted to show you one more.

20140412_141429Large.jpg

We just built this 600 yd range. It is still a work in progress. This spring we are building concrete benches under the roof. You can't see it but there are berms at 100, 200, 300, 400, 500 and the big one at 600 yd. Behind the 600 berm is a deep pit. Eventually we will have cantilevered targets we can raise and lower. All berms have metal targets 6-10 inch and the 600 has a metal IDPA type torso target as well as the stationary plywood board you can see in the distance. I have only been shooting trap, skeet and pistol 11 years. I started shooting rifle 3 years ago. I am 61 years old and everything hurts. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
982 Posts
Thanks for sharing.

Looks like a have another project to fund.

The gun looks great, nice pictures.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts