FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, about 2 months after it first arrived, I finally had all the parts here, assembled and ready to go. The parts:

FN SPR A1
Leupold VX-III 3.5-10 M3 FFP
FN Scope Rings
Harris Swivel Bipod
Accu-Shot precision mono pod (for good 100yd zero stability)
Quick Cuff sling
Federal 168 GMM

I went into today with very high expectations, and she didnt disappoint me. See picture bellow for reference to shot numbers. these shots at 100yds. Shot #1 was to confirm boresight, it was close enough, so I went to zero elevation, and fired shots 2-4 which grouped at .875MOA. My POA was the number 7 on the target, the shots were roughly 1.75mil too high. I incorrectly did the math from MIL to MOA in my head, dialed it in and fired shot #5, realized what I did, I corrected and fired shot #6. I dialed in the windage and proceeded to shoot a 10 shot group at the number 8 on the target. The first 3 of that group confirmed my windage adjustment and measured 1/2MOA :shock: with the final 7 shots measuring 1MOA while firing as quick as I could.

Excited, I moved to 200 yards and fired 3 shots which grouped at .875"=sub 1/2MOA :D . To see if it was a fluke I fired two 5 shot groups on a new target (see below) the first measured 1.5"=.75MOA and the second measured .875"= sub 1/2 MOA. You can also see where as I was in my firing sequence a friend tapped me on the shoulder and I really pulled one. :-x

I am very impressed with this weapon. They are not lying when they say that this is a sub MOA even sub 1/2 MOA rifle when you really do your part. The rifle has no modifications except a lightened trigger and with that Leupold scope, its is very accurate. The BDC turrets allow for quick elevation changes and are marked every 100 yards from 100-1000. The 20MOA base combined with the massive 45MOA elevation will let me get to 1000yds quickly and easy .

As for the rifle, its controlled round feed is amazing, equally as impressive as the claw extractor. The McMillan stock fits perfectly in my hand and my shoulder and the chromed barrel is a breeze to clean. THe detachable magazine (what many consider to be the weakpoint of a tactical rifle) functioned flawlessly no matter how slow or how quickly I cycled the bolt, never a stuck round or anything.

I bought this rifle with the intention of taking it out of the box and be able to shoot great groups at great ranges and two months after I did buy it, I finally got to do that today (mid-range i.e. 600 and greater yards will happen next weekend). This setup was pretty expensive but worth every penny. And being a multiple FN weapon owner, I know that this thing will be reliable and repetable for a good time to come. All in all a great investment in a great weapon. A couple more pics for you to enjoy:

and that 200yd 3 shot group w/rifle:

See you on the range!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Furyataurus said:
Any word on the 10 round mags that are supposed to come out?
Nothing yet, I plan on calling Bob on Monday. If not, Im probably going to go to a different bottom metal that will accept AICS mags.

Thanks guys, this is an awesome weapon.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Thanks for the nice range report, and nice shooting. But those pics are a little large. :D

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Texas Armadillo said:
But those pics are a little large. :D
Yes, 1024x768.

In the future, try not to go over 800 pixels wide as per forum rules. Thanks!

Everytime I see something like this, I am tempted to get a bolt action rifle. But, at this point, the PS90 is the only rifle I like. I tried a CX4 last year and ended up selling it. I'll just stick with the 1, as I've always been a handgun kinda guy.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I think the deal with the accurate bolt actions is that you need to have a place to shoot 200 yards and well beyond to get the bug and appreciate what these rifles are all about while keep it challenging to the shooter and equipment. 100 yards with a tack driver gets boring - jmho

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
imschur said:
I think the deal with the accurate bolt actions is that you need to have a place to shoot 200 yards and well beyond to get the bug and appreciate what these rifles are all about while keep it challenging to the shooter and equipment. 100 yards with a tack driver gets boring - jmho
Yea, 100 yards is as far out as the range here goes.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah sorry about the pictures Ship, I just wanted people to be able to read and see the numbers and such. My range has a 600yd line, and I will surely be at that spot this coming weekend :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nice rifle and accurate too !

We have a chance to shoot to 765 yards but I only have some AK's so really can't use that distance. I have been looking for these SPR rifles for some time, those are so expensive (here) that have to wait and spare more :(

Keep shooting !

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: shot my first F-class today in horrible winds. It looked like every 100yds the wind (10-15mph) changed direction. Was able to get a 536-9x at my first time shooting at 600yds (farthest shots ive taken). That score includes 3 shots when I adjusted incorrectly for the wind and scored 5-6-5. but it was switching full value/half value-left:right, right:left, every shot. :-? hopefully tomorrow the wind will calm down. great learning experience today.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well you have to be delighted with it at 200. the wind is a witch alright.
See that target Remington 40 X guys? Your gonna get a run for your money now.

Nice looking rig

1 - 14 of 14 Posts