FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now what do you all think? We already have the company building a wide slide (heavy enough for the .45acp.) that I think could be adapted to the needs of the 10mm. without too much trouble. I know that was a design based of the width of the .45 case but I think it's heavey enough for the 10mm as well. I'm terribly addicted to the 10 mm. And with Dan Wesson getting into the game, and Glock still selling a fair amount of Model 20's it just seems to be a natural.

Then the gun press would give us more ink. I can see the article in the magizines now. "FN Covers all the bases with the FNP." I'm sure there is enough interest to make this a gun people would buy. Then we have all of the major calibers covered. A little something for everybody if you will.

Sure the company would have to invest some money in development we all know that. I'm almost certain it would sell well once it got off the ground. And I'm not sure if this question had been raised. But we are talking about the most prolific arms manufacturer of the last 100 years right? I'd take one in every color for sure. How bout you all?

·
Registered
40 Posts
If I were wanting a 10mm semi-auto handgun, it'd definitely have a full metal frame. 10mm isn't in the same ballpark as 45acp. That being said, 40S&W isn't close either. The pressure developed in 10mm is intense, and for that I'd want more than just a few bent rails holding my slide onto the frame.

Also, I wonder what the actual demand for 10mm is.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
http://shootingmessengers.blogspot.com/2007/01/most-popular-glock-models-in-us.html

I was able to find these figures for 2006 fairly quickly. It looks like back then about 15,600. But frankly I'll bet they sold more in the last two years anually since there have been introductions by people like Dan Wesson. Sure it's not a 200,000 sales figure but. 15,000 is still 15,000. And that's two years ago based on this article.

I don't know But I'd wager that a number like that could generate enough revenue for the company to think it might be viable to look into it at any rate. Sure the caliber presumed waining was dropped by the FBI but it's a long way from dead and has a following to be sure I wouldn't relagate it yet to a "Boutique caliber"status.

My first Model 20 has better than 12,000 rounds through it and the slide hasn't flown off yet. So I figure that if Gaston can make it work then FN surely can. Looking at just this one report I was surprised to see figures for the .45 GAP, be as high as they are. I see that cartridge as an answer to a question that didn't need to be asked given the history of the venerable .45acp round.

But who knows? I would of course be interested in seeing more current sales figures. And hey if nothing else I wanted to give the masses something to debate. We need activity.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
As a whole, 10mm isn't nearly as popular as the other claibers - that's why you don't see all the companies making them. Yes - there are a few that due, but the round needs someone who reloads to get to its full potential.

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
Glock makes a 10mm, Dan Wesson makes a 10mm and S&W makes a 10mm. There needs to be at least 2 more manufacturer's that make a 10mm semi-auto i.e. HK and FN, just my .02.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well you guys make good points. I was just brain storming. Don't worry I'm not going to apply for the Marketing Directors position Haaaaa ! I'm sure there are people that would buy it but it might not be a money maker, probably wouldn't. And there in lies the problem. Big corporations are looking to place investment on things that will give a good R.O.I. that's business.

So given that it's just a pipe dream but one I sure would like to see. I guess we will have to wait. Who knows maybe down the road after the FNP brings in the sales numbers that Glock has taken over the years. I just want the Marketing Director to know if they want to build a couple of Proto's I''d love to have one. :eek: Soooo in the mean time I'm waitin and seein. All I really want now is for them to start boxing up and shipping those Scars and the USG's in .45. That'll hold me for a while.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Well, they did make a 357 sog version... But, t hat's still more popular than the 10mm, althought I personally don't care for the 357 sig or the 45 GAP

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would totally buy a 10mm. I would like to try hunting with a 10mm pistol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd buy at least two of 'em. I've wanted a 10mm pistol for a while and hate the ergonomics of Glocks and I am not enough of a firearms afficiendo to know much about the quality of other options.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I go back to the Bren Ten with the 10mm and have found it to be an outstanding pistol cartridge. Now sure it has it's uses, mostly in the hunting venues. But like most modern rounds there are only limited uses for any pistol cartridge at best. No round can be the cure all and end all for everything. Although the .45 ACP comes darn close. With the possible exception of squirrel hunting lol.

I have done some pretty extensive load experimentation with this cartridge and put several guns through a test loading up and down to try to find a load that shoots best for my intended purpose out of my guns. This round facinated me from the get go in it's ability to really do more things better than most anything out there. But I am an advanced loader and I realize that most people don't have the equipment or desire for that matter to go to all that trouble. I like Ken Waters have developed what I'll call to use Kens phrase, "Pet Loads." ( The title of his very good book which I recommend highly for any reloader.) for most of the cartridges that I use from various hunting loads to target loads for the rifles and defense and hunting pistol loads. Add into this list target loads in .45 ACP.

These loads are those developed by me on my own with my trusty Oehler 33 Chronograph (The best thing since sliced bread) What I get with this equipment is consistency. I can tell that if my group shoots through the "same hole" that I am making ammunition that is consistent from shot to shot. This eliminates the guess work of pouring through ballistic tables trying to gauge weather or not I was in fact making the same cartridge the same way every time.

I'm not quite as picky as some of my Unlimited Benchrest shooting friends. But I do like to check my powder measure against published velocity figures where and when I can. Normally I can make much better ammo that I can buy. As I have severl times noted some pretty vast differences between one lot of ammo to another. (You shouldn't mix lots if it's accuracy you are going for.)

So to sum it up I have developed several loads that work for me and they are not the Atom Smashing variety either. I like to opt for what shoots best from my base battery of guns. Yes the load for my Delta's doesn't shoot as well as the loads for my Glocks or vicey versey lol.
If FN Builds a 10mm I'll be all over it like a cheap suit. Just one more page for my "Pet Loads" binder. Boy, would I like to add that page. That would be for me like hitting the 10mm lotto.
Take care all !

Now back to the :eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts