FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At some point in the future, I'd like to get an auto loading .308 rifle, preferably one that has the ability to hold up to 20 rounds, has a pistol grip, and good mounting points for scopes, and has at least 1 moa at 100yds.

If you would, could you post what you feel is a good submission into this catagory, and if possible, post a price range, AND if also possible, a picture.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Boy you don't want much, just kidding.

What type of platform do you like?

Such as, but not limited to:

AR
FAL
M1/M14
BAR
G3

Is price an issue?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, as for price, . . . I'd like to keep it below $1,500. . . . . . only because I don't plan to be "made of money" any time soon, . . . unfortunately. However, I know that some good rifles can be purchased in that range or less.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Orion said:
Well, as for price, . . . I'd like to keep it below $1,500. . . . . . only because I don't plan to be "made of money" any time soon, . . . unfortunately. However, I know that some good rifles can be purchased in that range or less.
Then you'll definitely want to go for an AR type.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Question. . . . what is the difference between the M1A and the M14?

Too bad these are rather high priced because I really like the looks of them. By the way, do these use pistons, or gas (like the AR rifles)?

·
Registered
134 Posts
One vote for the AR platform; in particular, the Armalite AR-10(T):

EDIT: A bit hard on the wallet though: $2,124 MSRP :oops:

·
Registered
980 Posts
There are minor differences in the receiver but the big difference is the M14 can be switched to full auto. The recoil is such that a second or third hit at moderate range is unlikely so the full auto feature went out of style.

They are piston driven. The piston is under the barrel.

Yeah they are nice! But one set up with a match trigger and barrel and pistol grip will be $2G +

·
Registered
134 Posts
If I remember correctly, the M1A and M14 are identical designs except that the M14 receiver is longer to accommodate a happy switch (semi/full fire selector). The M1A also has an investment cast receiver instead of a drop-forged receiver like the M14.

Also if I remember correctly, the M14 and M1A rifles use a short-stroke piston similar to that of the M1 Carbine.

·
Registered
980 Posts
P.S.
If you think you'll really be getting into long range shooting consider a rifle in .260 REM- which is a necked down .308
It has the same terminal performance as .308 but has less recoil and being faster has less wind drift. Quite a few manufactures offer the AR-10 in .260 REM now.
Having shot and compared the two, I am sold on the .260

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Well if you like the M1A, you can get a M1A SOCOM for about $1700.

It's a straight shooter, a bit heavy, and tuff as nails.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I have NO desire for any select fire .308 auto rifles. Just after a good and accurate scoped semi-auto rifle.

Ouch (on the price for a match M1A), . . . though I wonder if, in the long run, it wouldn't be a better rifle to have. I like the thought of the piston over the gas AR system, but I know they both work well when kept clean.

Just priced a fairly tricked out DPMS LR-308, though, and it came to just under $1,600 (started out at $1,160).

Barrel flutting, JP trigger, upgraded stock, hogue grip. I suppose I could save myself $140 and go with the current trigger group, bringing that price down a bit more, and under the $1,500 price I stated earlier.

By the way, . . . does one need a Cryo-Accurizing done?

·
Registered
980 Posts
In regards to the cryo treated barrel I do not think it would make a perceptible difference to the average shooter.

That's the kind of thing you see on custom built rifles that can put a couple rounds in the same hole @ 100 yards.

I wouldn't pay for cryo treatment without at least a 1/2 MOA guarantee. Otherwise you could be paying for a really nice barrel on a rifle that doesn't deserve it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
What about POF 308 20 inch

I have one on order and i placed the order after much research.
It was tested at .25 to .5 MOA. It FAL like rifle Piston operated.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Thanks for the complement devildoc. The M1A is probably my favorite rifle. It's very well built, dependable, rugged and if ya run out of ammo you could beat someone with it! :?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Just priced a fairly tricked out DPMS LR-308, though, and it came to just under $1,600 (started out at $1,160).

I suppose I could save myself $140 and go with the current trigger group, bringing that price down a bit more, and under the $1,500 price I stated earlier.
Well, you might want to keep the trigger upgrade. Because the trigger on the DPMS 308 sucks pretty bad right out of the box.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow!!! To have the money for an M1A with that JAE-100 stock would be my ultimate choice!!! Hands down. Anyone want to contribute to my newly set up fund, that I will be calling, "Fund my JAE-100 M1A project, please" ??? :cry:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts