FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just trying to see what the front runners are in the suppressor market.

·
Administrator
12,030 Posts
Octane 45 - Yes
Saker 5.56 - Yes
AAC Evo 9mm - Yes
SDN-6 7.62 - Yes

I started with the Evo but if I had bought the Octane first, I probably would have bypassed the Evo but then I would have had to gotten a dedicated can for the FiveseveN. The Evo is light enough and works fine with the FiveseveN so in the end, it turned out alright.

Two cans for the rifles, two for the pistols. Although both the Saker and SDN can be used on the pistols as well.

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
I have an Silencerco Octane 9 and an Octane 45 in jail. I chose them for their reputation and user serviceability. Unfortunately that's all I can say for now. I will say that Silencer Shop made the whole transaction easy like Sunday morning.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I'd recommend Surefire for rifles & Silencerco for pistols.

OwnSurefire Socom 762-RC
Surefire Socom 556-RC
Surefire Socom 556-RC Mini
Surefire FA556-212
AAC 762SDN-6
AAC Pilot
AAC Ti-Rant 45
Gemtech G5
Silencerco Warlock II
Silencerco SS Sparrow
Silencerco Osprey 9mm
Silencerco 45 Octane HD
Huntertown Guardian 22

Yes I own them all. silencershopdotcom and my local NFA transfer agent make it so painless to purchase. Also once you shoot with a suppressor everyone in the family has to get one. It makes shooting so fun for everyone since you can talk to each other and you don't have to wear ear protection. Also no ringing afterwards. Also the females in the family will come shooting because they used to be afraid of the loud noise.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Brügger & Thomet Rotex-V Compact (.223)

would for sure buy it again since it's pretty much the only brand you can get over here.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
YHM 5.56 Phantom - Built like a tank - heavy - not the best mounts but works - would not buy again
YHM Cobra .45 - ok - best run wet (like most 45s) - re-cored and WAY better - would not buy again
YHM Wraith .22 - great 22 - cannot take apart - would not buy again- this is my next re-core
SWR Specter 2 - .22 - rated up to 17HMR and 5.7 - fully serviceable and dam near bomb proof - best 22 can I have ever had
SWR Octane 9 HD - bomb proof - all kinds of mounts and tri-lug adapter - fixed spacer - fully serviceable - SWR always buy again
SF 7.62 SOCOM Mini - love it - great mount - solid lock up - would buy again hands down
AAC M42k mod 8 - Sill one of the best 5.56 suppressors on a DI (SBR 10.5) by far - need to send back to have ratchet teeth replaced - the 'wobble' but how it is designed - would not buy agan
AAC 7.62 SD - Great suppressor on both my .308 and 300BO - this one locks up better than my M42k - will stay w/use on both my bolt action rifles - would not buy again
Thompson Machine 10/22 .22 Integral Barrel - WAY TOO much fun w/bulk pack 22 ammo - would buy again - but better designs are coming out and have solved the problem of 2x tax stamp integral barrels that are 100% serviceable that you can take down and clean gas ports

Next purchase will be a 7.62 Dead Air Sandman S - lighter than the SWR Saker 7.62 - replaceable end cap and can change between 5.56 and 7.62
Next Purchase will be a SWR Saker 7.62 as I am sure price will drop once Dead Air and Rugged Suppressors hit the market this year - this will replace my M42k that sees use on both my (MK18 will keep the AAC dedicated here) build and Scar 16 SBR

I think if you are just getting into the NFA game - 2015 will be a great year to do it. Plenty of modular and serviceable pistol and center fire suppressors if not out coming out after SHOT 2015.

I think the new reality is center fire QD and thread mount suppressors w/interchangeable end caps will be the norm - maybe pistol suppressors will follow
QD center fire suppressors with interchangeable mounts - SWR lead the pack/innovation - Dead Air - Rugged (since the last 2 came from SWR ;)
Better materials - better mounts w/taper (to seal and prevent the dreaded carbon locked on QD suppressors that is also wobble free) and the bonus of 1 .30 caliber suppressor than you can run down to .22 if you wanted to but that is also rated up to 300WM - yea that's impressive - oh and now Rugged doing both changeable end cap and 1 suppressor but modular center fire rifle for length (thanks as OSS broke ground here)! Full of WIN!

Modular pistol suppressors make your 9mm or 45 from OAL of say 8" to 4" - I don't see the need (not hearing safe) but hey... some folks like it (not my cup of tea) but all pistol suppressors fully serviceable seems to be almost industry standard practice now- better materials -

I also feel the suppressor industry is becoming like that of the auto - its gonna be about options you want - and where they make their money is in the after market sales i.e mounts .... and adapters ;) (When you get in the NFA game this is another area you will spend money on (mounts and adapters) no question about it!

The other thing we all want all the time is top tier customer service and top shelf products: Read this letter from Henry (former SWR)
here: http://ruggedsuppressors.com/2015/01/letter-industry/
We want to be catered to just like we were part of a large MIL/GOVT/LEO contract - "hey BIG industry" we (the casual shooters and mall ninjas spend money too ;)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I only have 2 right now. I have a Silencerco Specwar and love it. I also have an Octane 45 waiting for approval, and if it's as good as other people suggest I'll be happy with it. Once I receive the 45 I'll probably purchase the 9mm for a dedicated can for my soon to be CZ Scorpion.

Reactions: andy

·
Registered
12 Posts
AAC Evo-9 for G34
AAC M4-2000 for AR-15s
Happy with both of them, but waiting to see how the management shakeout at AAC plays. I really liked John Hollister who gave me good advice over the years.

Looking for a .308 to fit to my new FN SPR A5M XP, so send any suggestions after SHOT my way, please.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
AAC sdn-6 use it on my SCAR17 and rem 700 . Love it. Haven't had any mount problems yet.
AAC tirant 45 use it on my Vector and glock. Works great, no complaints.

Still waiting on approval for AAC SD556, Pilot2, SilencerCo .45 osprey, SilencerCo Sparrow, and Thunder Beast BA

Still waiting on my rebates from AAC as well. Will use those to buy more mounts and adapters.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Waiting on AAC 762sd. Picked it up because it was crazy cheap (thanks Silencershop), and because its now all inconel

Have an Osprey45. Performance has been very good. Love 99% of it. Its been sent back for the latch coming loose. Silencerco fixed it ASAP, but I still live in fear of when it will get stuck on another gun. I bought an Octane 45 HD that's in jail. In hindsight I probably would have just bought a couple of Octanes. IMO, these are the best pistol cans available now. Best CS

Gemtech G5, performance has been good. Love the QD. There is nothing faster or easier. I have put 1000's of rounds through it. Blast baffle looks like it too. When it gets stuck on the mount, it really gets stuck on the mount. Thats the bad part of the QD. You learn to take it off ASAP, or never. Have to keep the mounts clean and lubed with Fireclean. I would not buy another one. It's an old design and I think other brands have passed it up. Probably would pick up a Saker 556 instead. Good CS

Surefire socom556 SB and MG. I would buy a dozen of these. Built like an Abrams tank. Great performance. Nothing negative at all. Good CS

·
Registered
199 Posts
Silencerco warlock 2- probably because the price was right. Maybe a sparrow instead.

Silencerco Octane 45HD- yes!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Hunter Town Arms Kestrel 22. Hell no. Only because of bad customer service, but other wise a tank due to baffle strikes I have had due to non-concentric thread(s)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Osprey 45: Love it and would buy it again

Gemtech G5: Have it on my PS90 with their flash hider that looks great on the gun, the suppressor unscrews from itself sometimes when I try to unlock it from the flash hider, kind of disturbing but the suppressor works very well

AAC 762 SDN-6: Love it and would buy it again

AAC SR-7: Just installed the 90T flash hider yesterday and hope to use it for the first time this weekend

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
I almost pooped my pants seeing the new surefire Ryder 9 that will be introduced at shot show. The amount of money I've spent on tax stamps could have bought several rifles. Add this and a future Ryder 45 if that's in the works to the list

1 - 20 of 43 Posts