FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Good Lord, I should have bought a pallet of STG kits when they were about $200.

That looks to be an unissued STG58 kit.
The only thing you need is a reciever, the correct one would be a type 1
But type 2 or 3 will work as well. The type 1 is just the correct one for that model if you are looking at making it as authentic as possible.
If ya get lucky the locking shoulder will be the right one you need.

Here is one that I helped build on a DSA type 1 reciever.

·
Registered
319 Posts
To build it yourself you will need about $300 in tools.
Barrel vice, reciever wrench, and timing tool.

Pin gages for setting headspace

Then a go and no go gage.

You will also need the 7 required US made parts.
For that one I would use ...
Hammer trigger and sear for 3.
Pistol grip 4
Reciever 5
Piston 6
Charging handle 7

·
Registered
319 Posts
also is this brand good.
The Austrian Steyer STG58 version of the FAL is one of the highest quality rifles out there. The barrels are hammer forged and considered one of the best.
The quality and attention to detail on these are pretty amazing considering that it is a Battle Rifle after all, meant to be carried into war and used in adverse conditions.
Is there any way I can build a cheap one???
Sadly that train left the station a long time ago.
Kits are going for pretty high prices right now as the supply has dwindled to a trickle. I've seen beat to crap Imbels going for $350 and more lately.
Don't shop gunbroker
Here is a smoking deal right now. http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=251350
If I had $500 I would be all over that.
I was almost to late for the cheap FAL days. By the time I hopped aboard Imbel kits were $150 from Eprise and didn't come with a mag or any accy's.
Soon after I got that (while trying to locate a receiver) I scored a grade II bi-pod cut barrel Imbel kit for $175 that had all stuff for it.
The GL receiver cost me $500, But I had just sold a set of 4x4 axles for $500 that I paid $150 for so it all worked out.
These days it is cheaper to buy one already assembled.
You don't absolutely need all the tools I posted if you want to build one just because it's something you like to do, but it makes it so much easier and faster and nothing gets fuggered up.
I think it took me 45 minutes to set up, torque/time the barrel and headspace the last one I did.

·
Registered
319 Posts
So building one wouldnt really save much $$$
That depends on looking and cash in hand.
I would haunt the Marketplace at the files. Some are selling their build tools as they will never need them again.
Good deals on kits come up but ya gotta be fast on the reply button.

There is a Century receiver for sale now for $350

I have seen many nice Imbel's in the $800 range also. Another version to consider that is a quality rifle.

When I decided to get busy I did a ton of research bought the goods and went to town. It kinda makes it personal when ya prep and assemble it yourself.
There are many like it but this one is mine.

·
Registered
319 Posts
1st time out. 500 rounds of 74 OHV with zero malfunctions.

Another long gone deal... .308 ammo
I had many cruddy lookin cans getting dropped of for a while there.
I think I was paying $100 per can of 400.
These days it's about $10 per mag. :evil:
I don't shoot mine as much anymore but I have plenty of Port if the need arises.

Gotta do something with a bag of bando's and cans of clips.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts