FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a brain fart when filling out my form 1 electronic submission. At the time I had it in my head that the barrel that I was going to initially put on my registered receiver was off of an AR15 pistol I already owned. I thought it was 7.5 inches long which is what I put for the barrel length on the form. While I was visiting the website of the manufacturer last night I discovered that they say that model barrel length is only 7.0 inches long. Now my intent was to actually get a 300 AAC barrel in the 10-11 inch range down the road when it got closer the the time my suppressor stamp was due and submit the proper form notifying the ATF of a permanent reconfiguration change. So how should I go about correcting my mistake? The eform is in the pending state that will not allow me to edit it. Is this an issue for concern?
:th_sign0085:

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
I believe others who have made mistakes on the first filing and have called the ATF have been told that first submission will get declined so go ahead now and resubmit with the proper information so you don't loose too much time. CAUTION-I would call your local ATF branch just to verify this is the process they would like you to go through but again it has been reported this was the course of action in the past couple of months that folks have been using the e-file system. Good news is that approval seems to be coming so fast with the e-file system you will not lose any time.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe others who have made mistakes on the first filing and have called the ATF have been told that first submission will get declined so go ahead now and resubmit with the proper information so you don't loose too much time. CAUTION-I would call your local ATF branch just to verify this is the process they would like you to go through but again it has been reported this was the course of action in the past couple of months that folks have been using the e-file system. Good news is that approval seems to be coming so fast with the e-file system you will not lose any time.
Since this is a request to construct and SBR, I do not know why it would be declined since I did not have to enter a specific make and model of upper I would be using on the build. They have no reason to believe the barrel length listed on the form is not valid. As long as I was to never put the <7.5" barrel on and install a longer barrel like I mentioned and submitted the proper reconfiguration form, what have I done wrong? It is my understanding uppers can be swapped out temporary as long as you have the upper of record and can return the configuration to the original ATF listing. Am I correct in my understanding that the form 1 information asking for the build length specifics should list the shortest barrel and overall length the SBR will be configured in?

·
Registered
192 Posts
If the only error pertains to barrel length I would just leave it as is. You can notify them of the change later, or you could pick up/build a 7.5" upper as well so you always have the option to return it to it's original configuration you stated on the form.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually the overall barrel length would be over 8 inches if you count the M4 standard flash suppressor, but I do not know if that counts if it is unpinned like that required to make a rifle barrel the legal minimum 16". I really am unclear as to what measurements the AFT wants for barrel length and overall length especially with a M4 style collapsible style stock. Do they want the overall length to include the flash suppressor and maximum extended length of the stock? What if you change the flash suppressor to accommodate a quick attach one for a sound suppressor?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts