FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am noticing a common issue with the FNS-9, and I assume the FNS-40 as well.

The sights from the factory make it so you have to hold two inches above your target to hit the center of the target. While getting used to how to hold with stock sights is not an issue, the only way to hit in the 10 ring has you completely obscuring your target. This is at distances as close as 7 yards.

Are you like me, and find that you use the top of the rear plane to bisect the front dot?

I hear lot's of people ask for night/fiber optic sights, but what about a front post that is just 5mm to 7mm lower, so my point of aim is what I intend to hit, not 2 inches above it.

We could resort to files, drill presses, and glow in the dark urethane resin.. but I am not in the mood for a project. Has anyone seen a shorter front sight post for the FNS pistols?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am noticing a common issue with the FNS-9, and I assume the FNS-40 as well.

<snip>
The sights from the factory make it so you have to hold two inches above your target to hit the center of the target.
My FNS-9 came with night sights, which I believe are the same profile as std. I tend to group at 1 o'clock POA out to 20 yards, although the frequency of hitting dead- center causes me to think that it's me, rather than the pistol. I'm only at 300 rounds, so I don't have a lot of experience with it yet, but I'm pleased, so far.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
You are describing what is referred to as sight picture 2. Most combat sights use sight picture 1 which is cover your intended POI with the front dot. This is how my FNS shoots and is my preference. Your way is more for target shooting and that sight picture will cause you to shoot low with combat sights.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Here you go.... I personally prefer sight picture 2 (middle image) Also that is what Novak recommends as well as seen on their work order page Work Order
3sightpositions.jpg
But when shooting at night I'm actually more like sight picture 3.

Here is another showing the different sight pictures
Sight_Pics.jpg

Just remember different sight setups are geared towards different shooting styles (defensive vs target/bullseye)

Reactions: builtbyob and djv38

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Thanks for correcting me Mtnsnow. Couldn't remember whether covering the POI with the front sight was #1 or #3. Figured I'd get it wrong.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
No worries Heavy, I always get them confused as well....that's why I grabbed the pictures...lol

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Yeah, FN's use the combat sight picture (aka #3). That's what I'm used to, so when I shot my dad's revolver, I was shooting waaay high (his revolver uses #1)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yep, confirm sight picture 3. I bought my FNS-9 a couple of months ago and it has taken me awhile to get used to the sight picture. However, I bought the gun for personal defense. So basically, I should be point-shooting with the front sight in the middle of the bad guy's chest anyway.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay,so we established that it is sight picture #3, or combat sights. However, defining the sight picture's name does not solve my problem. I may have phrased my question incorrectly.

Let me rephrase my question then.

Has anyone seen target sights available for the FNS pistols?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts