FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hopefully will be picking up my first stamps and items with in a week. When I go to pick them up is there another form that the FFL will have me fill out to process the transfer? Also, do I need to have a copy of my trust with me? It will be the first time so I'm trying to figure out the procedure.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You will need your license. Youll have to fill out the normal atf form (4473?) for a gun purchase, however there is no background check because the FBI did one as part of the application process.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I hopefully will be picking up my first stamps and items with in a week. When I go to pick them up is there another form that the FFL will have me fill out to process the transfer? Also, do I need to have a copy of my trust with me? It will be the first time so I'm trying to figure out the procedure.
I'm a bit confused as to what step of the process you are at. When you say that you "hopefully will be picking up your first stamps and items within a week", it sounds like you have already contacted the ATF and been told that your form 4 has been approved and your stamps are on the way? If this is the case, the only thing that you might need to my knowledge would be your ID. A copy of your trust would have already been sent to the ATF with the form 4, your local dealer does not need a copy of it.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, you are correct approved and waiting to pick up. I thought maybe it was necessary to bring the trust to write the serial numbers on once fully transferred.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I would take your trust. I was told the NFA item must be typed onto your trust inventory page the day you pick it up and copies must be given to the other trustees with the changes.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
It all depends on the dealer and their understanding of the requiremnets (Not necessarily correct though).

1. You will need to fill out a 4473 just like when you buy a gun (Need copy of ID)
2. Some dealers will perform the NICS check, some will not.
3. Anything else that they require is their interpretation as nothing else is required.
3a. There may be local or state laws that require more but you will have to investigate that.

Now, required of you is to update your trust and distribute copies to trustees. But that is not required to pick it up.

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
That's horse sh!t. (I mean I believe it) but the fact that you are waiting a year to get an approval from uncle sugar and you still have to fill out forms and get NICS checked is just riddiculous.

Like anything NFA makes sense though. ;-)

Thanks for the information Starz I appreciate it.

Reactions: Milspec

·
Registered
415 Posts
I picked up my first suppressor a few weeks ago. I just filled out a 4473, he did not call it in. Got home, updated my schedule A.

My trustees (actually, none, I just have beneficiaries listed) do not have copies.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
That's horse sh!t. (I mean I believe it) but the fact that you are waiting a year to get an approval from uncle sugar and you still have to fill out forms and get NICS checked is just riddiculous.

Like anything NFA makes sense though. ;-)

Thanks for the information Starz I appreciate it.
I was told once that the only check the ATF does for NFA items is a NICS check. Everything else they do is just filing and registration. So the entire wait time is simply for them to file paperwork away. What a waste of time and money...

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
I was told once that the only check the ATF does for NFA items is a NICS check. Everything else they do is just filing and registration. So the entire wait time is simply for them to file paperwork away. What a waste of time and money...
Every time I learn something new about NFA and ATF it pisses me off more and more.

Reactions: sldcountry

·
Registered
71 Posts
My Class 3 dealer makes me fill out thr 4473 and performs a NICS check even though I am told NICS is not required. Since I am in the military and a Florida resident living in Virginia, he also photocopies my orders even though I am told he just needs to verify my duty station is Virginia, and does not need a permanent copy to file. I guess some dealers go above and beyond to cover their ass.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Outdoor Forums mobile app

1 - 12 of 12 Posts