FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never shot this one past 100 yards....sure it would be accurate at 200 yards...think it's still a fight-stopper at that distance?
what do you think max range is and what max (terminal ability) range is for this one...
just things that go through my mind when I'm bored and not able to get to the range to shoot it out...
thanks!
CJ in AZ

·
Registered
289 Posts
16" barrel, 150 yds. 10.4, 75-90yds. Don't have the ballistics behind it on mobile and it is movin' out of a 16", but just my confidence. I'm sure there'll be more data posted that'll help.

Reactions: SAVAGEJIM

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
From the pistol (FiveseveN or whatever other pistol is chambered for the 5.7x28 ), effectiveness beyond 200yrds is nil.
It will still injure, but the likelyhood of stopping drops dramatically to be considered ineffective.

For the 10in SBR barrel on a P90 or SBRed PS90, I presume there might be some stopping power, but the energy might be so small that it could be like in the case above: only most likely to injure instead of stop.
I need to know the BC to make a calculated estimate on what energy the round will have to know if anything is left to deliver to the target in an effective manner.
(Of course, SAE factors such as humidity, ambient temps, altitude, will play a part, but assuming sea level, room temps, and little humidity, the BC alone is not a bad estimator for most conditions)

The same applies for calculating an energy estimate for the full length PS90 16.04in barrel.

This link shows the trajectory of a few 5.7x28 loadings, but trying to guess at the fluid dynamics to fit those trajectory curves is just that: only a guess.

Ballistics 5.7X28mm Cartridge

Knowing the speed of the round at each specific range will directly indicate what energy the round is holding onto.
And by knowing that there is sufficient energy, we can then know if the terminal ballistics will behave like we want the projectile to. Particularly if there is enough energy to cause the projectile to impart enough shock to soft targets or to even penetrate what might be covering the target.
Moreover, if the projectile energy drops too low, will it rotate in the soft target like we want it to? And even if it does, will there be enough energy to transfer to the target to stop? Or will it only be an injury that does not stop?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Ballistics #s show that up to the 150 yard mark it flies pretty straigh, but after the 225 yard mark, the bullet just starts to drop like a rock. Attached is a screen-grab composite of the data from the Nikon SpotOn app for my phone showing the numbers for AE 40 grain TMJ. The "clicks" column would be for the scope, but the other stuff should be of interest. Also after the 200 yard mark, the Ft./Lb. energy drops below 100. I think Mark McWillis is spot-on with his 200 yard number.

57ballistics1.png

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks gentlemen!
the Nikon spot on app looks awesome...and rest of info validates my theory that if I can hit torso from 100 yards with handgun, the rifle should be able to hit and be terminal at 200 yds. I just hadn't tried it out yet.
thanks again,you guys are awesome with your willingness to share, teach, educate, etc. much appreciated. if anyone is in or visits AZ, look me up and let's go shoot sometime!
CJ in AZ

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
the barrel is just over 16 inches. The shroud gets you over the minimum rifle length, the barrel keeps it from being a SBR.
Absolutely correct. The NFA laws of the USC requires all long arms to have no less than a 16" barrel and a total rifle length of 26".
The shroud and muscle brake bring the PS90 to that 26" minimum

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Ballistics #s show that up to the 150 yard mark it flies pretty straigh, but after the 225 yard mark, the bullet just starts to drop like a rock. Attached is a screen-grab composite of the data from the Nikon SpotOn app for my phone showing the numbers for AE 40 grain TMJ. The "clicks" column would be for the scope, but the other stuff should be of interest. Also after the 200 yard mark, the Ft./Lb. energy drops below 100. I think Mark McWillis is spot-on with his 200 yard number.

View attachment 36259
this is exactly the data I was talking about.
Thanks for posting!

any chance the collected ballistics data on other 5.7x28 loadings?

·
Registered
228 Posts
The only other one I was able to generate with the app was for SS197 since the Hornady V-Max 40 grain bullet was in there with the drag co-efficient. Just needed to put in a muzzle velocity so I used 2100 fps based on wikipedia.

57ballistics2.png

·
Registered
443 Posts
Per Quickload program. The ballistic co-efficient for .223, 27 grain, FN HPBT Alum core is 0.134.

Also sight over bore for black recipical ring is 3.5" or around.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I sure appreciate the data.

Here's my quandry:

I want to make clean prairie dog kills and I am trying to figure out optics solution(s) for a CMMG Banshee 200 Mk 57.

Considering the maximum effective range for a .22LR (according to the 1" pine board penetration established standard during WWI) is a whopping 440 yards, I am trying to figure out the max effective ranges for 27 grain and 40 grain bullets at various velocities from factory loads to EA loads and other custom loads.

People are competing to 600 yards and banging steel at 1,000 yards with .22's!

This is just for fun and with budget limitations.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I sure appreciate the data.

Here's my quandry:

I want to make clean prairie dog kills and I am trying to figure out optics solution(s) for a CMMG Banshee 200 Mk 57.

Considering the maximum effective range for a .22LR (according to the 1" pine board penetration established standard during WWI) is a whopping 440 yards, I am trying to figure out the max effective ranges for 27 grain and 40 grain bullets at various velocities from factory loads to EA loads and other custom loads.

People are competing to 600 yards and banging steel at 1,000 yards with .22's!

This is just for fun and with budget limitations.
I was using the 5.7 for dogging before I lost my place to go. Using a 36gr Barnes VG at 2,700 fps from a 15" Encore I was getting clean kill at 150-175 yards, seemed anything over that the hits were iffy it they'd kill the varmits. Glass on the gun really didn't matter, the little bullets just moved too much in the wind to guarantee precise shots at longer range than 175 yards. My experience at least. Also, bullet choice is a big deal for expansion on varmits. Had more explosive results with factory SS197 than my Barnes loads at 50-100 yards it seemed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts