FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have thought how cool it would be to have a ps90 with a bolt catch. What do you think about this?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I take you mean a bolt catch and release?

I thought about that once, but since the ejection port is out the bottom, where would you put it?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont own a ps90 yet but im going up to my uncles next weekend and ill look on it then but could you...put it on the side of the bolt? And make a realse maybe somewhere under the thumb hole?

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
I looked, and couldn't find an old thread about this issue. This was discussed early to mid 2007.

Apparently, the Europeans don't typically incorporate this into a lot of their weapon designs - as many other weapons that come from there doesn't have the bolt stay open after the last round.

There was some other reasons for this as well, but I no longer remember why.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
It probably has something to do with the way the magazine fit into the receiver. Just a guess on my part though. Isn't the receiver sitting kind out back in the stock when you charge the weapon? The only way you could build a relable stop would be to make the charging bars connect directly to the bolt. But that mean that they would go back and forth with every shot. Maybe I'm wrong. I didn't design it, I just shoot it.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
The trap door in the ejection port operates as a dust/dirt cover and a bolt hold-open device. Open the bolt and hold it back, close and latch the trap door. The trap door has a small knob to hold the bolt. Give the handle a pull back and release the bolt sharply to open the trap door and close the bolt. Not very elegant llike a last shot hold open, but it works on firing ranges that require your bolt be held open for safety.

·
Registered
47 Posts
on the range, i find it easier to simply pull the reciever and lay down two parts.

as far as i know, the euro mentality is simply that holding the bolt open is just not needed, and "thats the way its always been"

·
Registered
164 Posts
lightfighter said:
on the range, i find it easier to simply pull the reciever and lay down two parts.

as far as i know, the euro mentality is simply that holding the bolt open is just not needed, and "thats the way its always been"

Probably figure with a see-thru mag you don't need a hold open.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I've thought about how cool it would be to have bolt hold open on the PS90 too.
But I can't thing of a way to make it work.
You know most bolt hold open on rifles works by a part that is pushed up by the magazine follower into the path of the closing bolt.
In the case of the PS90 the follower isn't longer than a round- so you can't have a part that is pushed by the follower, and not a round (besides, the follower stops at 45 degrees rotation).
I guess it could be done electronically. A magnet in the follower, a sensor, battery, solenoid, and release button would do the trick.
But that's getting a little crazy.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hank said:
ah, but most ROs are worried about the chamber, not the mag.
Okay, I haven't tried this, but you could probably take off the mag, pull back the charging handle and let it forward on a pencil or something to show that it's open.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts