FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the range last weekend using Winchester SZX40, 180gr. I had a 6ft target at about 25ft, aiming center mass was very low aiming for a head shot I pretty much castrated the target. I've shot semi-autos for a long time, not much experience with the FNX. Just need a consensus on ammo and grains, if I had the money I would try everything offered but sadly I don't. Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried both styles and could see the differerence on paper just way low. I also asked someone who I was sharing the target with and was a good shot to thy mine and he shot very low also, not sure which style he used, but he tore the chest up with his 380 and 45. I realize it was his first time with mine but he hit where I did.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am going to take a guess here and say you are shooting low and to the left? If yes, then that is fairly common with the FNX's. A couple people have posted remedy threads but at the end of the practice will fix that. I started low and left but after a few hundred dry fires and a few hundred rounds it isn't a problem anymore. As far as ammo I have not run into any problems from 135gr JHP to 180gr FMJ and everything inbetween.

·
Banned
143 Posts
I fire Federal 180 grain FMJ at the range and I carry 165 grain JHP Zombie Max.

I don't like Winchester at all. Personally I wouldn't put it in any of my guns

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hope it's not the Winchester or I have 400rds of junk. I was thinking 180gr might be too heavy since I aim for the head and hit the crotch on a 36" long target at 25ft.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I shoot 180 and 165's with no difference in point of impact. There is a long thread about how to use the sights on a Fnx. I use them like I use all other sights and the gun shoots where I aim it. I do notice if I try to go fast on the trigger I'll shoot low every time. That's just my mistake. Proper trigger technique is the cure for me. Try slow deliberate trigger squeezes and let us know how you do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I shoot great with my XD9, slow steady breaths sometimes I hold for the shot. Maybe I just got a batch of low powered SZX40 from Bass Pro. I'll try again Sat or Sun

·
Registered
873 Posts
Remember that all FNX pistols use the European type "Combat" sight picture. Place the dot on the front sight over what you want to hit. It is not sighted like an American target shooting pistol, that is, a "6 O'clock" hold, where you put what you want to hit on top of the front post.

·
Registered
350 Posts
If I can suggest an ammo type, American Eagle is offered in a variety of bullet weights and is very close to premium carry ammo. I think they offer 180, 165 and 155 grain FMJ's

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think my problem is more likely heat than ammo, just figured this out today.. But thanks Hopefully FN will fix the problem

1 - 14 of 14 Posts