FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found online a batch of Wolf 5.56 in 75 grain ( yes, I said 75).
What is the advantage of the heavier weight than the usual 55 or 65's?

I want the hardest hitting stuff I can find and the 75's sound good to me.
Who has exp with the 75's?

"Only dead fish go with the flow"

·
Registered
51 Posts
What's your barrel twist?

If it's 1/7, pretty much the sky is the limit.

If it's 1/9, 68 is about tops.

I wouldn't expect the wolf to be the most accurate, if you have a 5.56 chamber.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What grain Part II

The rifle I'm saving for is an Armalite AR-180B. The barrel is a 1:9
as is all the AR barrels per every shop I spoke to. I do not know who makes available a 1:7 twist to the public . I heard that the M855 Green tip
rounds need the 1:7 to really do their deed well, Is this true?

:grin:

·
Registered
88 Posts
LMT has a 1:7 twist and so does Colt.

M855: Defined in MIL-C-63989
NATO specifications for M855 Ball require a 61.7 grain (q 1.5 grains) with a hardened steel penetrator at a velocity of 3,000 fps (q 40 fps) from a 20" barrel @ 78 feet from the muzzle. Typical velocity 15 feet from the M16A2's muzzle is 3,100 fps. Accuracy: maximum of approximately four MOA over the 100 to 600 yard range. Typical accuracy of average lots in an M16A2 is about 2+ MOA. This round must also penetrate a nominal 10 gauge SAE 1010 or 1020 steel test plate at a range of at least 570 meters (623 yards). The M193 round will penetrate this same plate reliably at 400 yards and about half the time at 500 yards. The 5.56mm and 7.62mm NATO rounds will penetrate it reliably out to 700 yards or more. Because the steel penetrator increases the length and changes the weight distribution of the SS-109 bullet, it is suitable for use only in barrels with a twist of one turn in nine inches or faster. 1:10 twist will barely stabilize this round and not below zero degrees F.

PER: AMMO Oricle - http://www.ammo-oracle.com/

·
Registered
203 Posts
There are ton's of 1:7 barrels out there. I'm running 3 myself. My Colt 6920 came with one. I built a 16 inch around a mid length Sabre Defense Barrel and a a pistol on a 10.3 CMMG barrel. Just gotta look around a little bit.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The heavier weight hollow points (OTM) will fragment far more reliably out of shorter barrels than a FMJ round will fragment.

You need to find some other gun shops in your area.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts