FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ship,
This is a great question. I've been buying several different holsters and trying them for different situations.

It seems to me there is no definitive answer for this question. So far I have found it depends on a few factors.

1. How big (height/fat) is the person?
I'm a big guy over all, and it is hard to find something that fits comfortably sometimes.
2. Do you have the right gun for concealing?
I like larger pistols, and so they are usually heavy, so it makes it more difficult to conceal?
3. How much clothing do you wear normally? Are you willing to wear more?
I like shorts and T-shirts in the snow. So I'm fairly exposed and to really conceal, I have to put on more clothing to hide anything.
4. How easy is it to access?
That is the point of conceal carry right? I could strap something in close and tight and hide it. But it would be hard to get to it. Kind of defeats the purpose right?

Well, those are my questions anyway. What have other people found?

FM

·
Banned
2,293 Posts
An under-arm harness is great. I have a Blackhawk with adjustible velcro straps. It has two snap loops that attach to your belt and the part that goes across your back you don't notice....IF it is adjusted properly. It holds one mag under the right arm and the pistol under the left.

It has a snap to secure the pistol...which isn't a good idea for quick access if you ask me, but seems better than simply having it hanging there unsecured.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Has anyone ever used a Milt Sparks holster?

I've heard they are one of the best IWB holsters you can get.

Of course they currently have a 6 month wait...

FM

·
Registered
120 Posts
I use a Mitch Rosen 5JR Full Dess to carry my .45 USP Compact.
I feel that a good holster is only part of the equation, though. Many people overlook the need for a good quality gun belt. With a good gun belt the gun will be much more comfortable to carry and will also prevent the gun/holster from sliding around, so it will always be in the exact same spot when you reach for it.
I've used belts from www.thebeltguy.net and can recommend them, good quality product and excellent service.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Yes, I love the Milt Sparks and The Beltman products. I have tried some other holsters but the VMII just fits better.

I wear my VMII holsters at the 4 o'clock postion. That seems to be the most comfortable place for me. I can reach into my pockets just fine without flashing people and fastening the seatbelt in the car is no problem. The only issue I have is reaching the gun when sitting in a car. So I keep another gun in the vehicle that is easier to reach.

I wrote this in another thread...

I currently have a HK P7, SIG P232, Walther P99cAS, SIG P225, P229, P239, P245, and a S&W 642, as carry guns. I like them all for different reasons and wouldn't part with any of them. They are all smaller than "full size" guns and I have Milt Sparks VMII holsters for most of them. I don't try to carry my full size guns like the 1911's or CZ75.

Usually, I choose which one to carry based on what I am wearing. The P7 and the P232 are the thinnest and easiest to hide if I am wearing nice clothes. If I am wearing a baggy t-shirt or untucked golf shirt I carry the P239 or P245. If I wear a tucked in t-shirt and also an unbuttoned short sleeve shirt over it, I carry the P229 or P225. The walther and S&W don't get carried much bu I like them anyway.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just found out that Milt Sparks doesn't make an IWB holster for the Five-Seven.

:(

·
Registered
7 Posts
MS VMII is the most popular benchmark for the IWB. IMHO, the most comfortable for daily use. Yes, wait is long. Same for Rosen, DelFatti, Bulman, etc. Brigade Gunleather has been getting good reviews and has a shorter waiting period.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well - now that I have the FNP 9mm - I'm using a Galco Fletch for my FNP - unless I can't get away with that (depending on what I am wearing). Then, it's my P99c in my cargo pants pocket in an Uncle Mike's holster...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Crossbreed most of the time, after a "big meal" OWB Front line, either carry a comapct or full size Baby Eagle :shock:

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
I use Bianchi model 6 IWB for my USP 9 and FNP-40. I like the fact that its an "open" holster, no thumb break to mess with, or anything to get snagged on it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Furyataurus said:
I use Bianchi model 6 IWB for my USP 9 and FNP-40. I like the fact that its an "open" holster, no thumb break to mess with, or anything to get snagged on it.
I believe that's what mine is. I conceal my XD 45 with this. It can't be beat for the $3 I spent on it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
High Noon Hidden Ally IWB tuckable for Steyr M9
JMG 7 IWB tuckable for FNP-45
Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster for Walther PPK
Milt Sparks Mini Max MMX IWB for Glock 9mms
High Noon Hidden Asset IWB tuckable for Colt 1991-A1
High Noon Hidden Ally IWB tuckable for CZ 40B
San Pedro Saddlery custom for 1847 Colt Walker replica

·
Registered
69 Posts
my holster of choice is a "Bianchi model 82 carryLok" i like leather... also offers good retention without being a hassle. i also use a bianchi spaer mag pouch.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Milt Sparks Watch Six for my Kimber Ultra Carry CDPII (external extractor, which I might add I have not had any problems with in 500+ rounds). :D

1 - 20 of 63 Posts