FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since some of us still shoot old-school style by gripping the magwell area or employ the floating hand type of grip, I have been wondering about a mod to the SCAR that would help facilitate the magwell grip better (and keep your thumb from being whacked with the charging handle - not so bad on the 16, but painful on the 17.)

I would like to see a redesigned SCAR screw support that had a molded or milled (depending on material) area that would allow one to place their thumb in it. Sort of a contoured "thumb groove" for us guys who like to grip the magwell area. I don't think it would be a very complicated thing to produce, actually.

I don't have the means to build this myself, but I have experimented a bit with grip tape placed on the area by the screw support. This makes it a bit grippy for the thumb and helps for indexing and preventing it from traveling higher up once you get used to it... but an actual dedicated solution would be much nicer and fulfill the desired objective better, obviously.

SCAR1.jpg

·
Registered
344 Posts
Has anyone seen or heard about anything new for or about the Scar 17, either from FN or the aftermarket at SHOT 2014 ?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Has anyone seen or heard about anything new for or about the Scar 17, either from FN or the aftermarket at SHOT 2014 ?
Not at shot, but VLTOR Plans to make a keymod version of the CASV for the SCAR at some point in the future. I'm really looking forward to that coming out.

·
Registered
232 Posts
All you need to do is add a ramp to fill in the gap to turn your hand and break that bad habit.

You don't stick your thumb up on a pistol, you don't grip in front of the cylinder on a revolver, you don't stick your thumb up on a crossbow and you don't stick your thumb up on the AR magwell when you're shooting left handed, especially with a closed dustcover (try it).

·
Registered
671 Posts
I really hope it's executed better than the first version-like being able to remove the barrel without having to screw the entire hand guard off
Time will tell... That would be a nice feature to have but not a deal breaker for me, can't wait to see these released and some reviews...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts