FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a die? I see these things in the Midway USA catalog all the time - essentially looks like a screw. How do they work? Remember, I am not a reloader...

·
Registered
152 Posts

Here is a cross section, the top one resizes the brass case,the middle thing on a rod is a neck expander ball, and punches out the old primer. The bottom one seats the bullet into the brass case.

A better pic of how the sizer die works.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe I should break down and buy some 5.7 dies? Then, if things did dry up, I could reload if I had to? How much do they cost?

And, what kind of bullet tips are people putting on there?

·
Registered
857 Posts
you need more then just the die
best thing is a progressive loader - i think you can get a complete set up for under $1,000

You will save a lot of money reloading, but i never got into it - I would rather spend my time doing other things

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, I KNOW I need more than that. My point was that I can get a reloading kit ANYTIME. But, if the 5.7 were ever to dry up, then I';d have the dies. I could then get the other stuff anywhere.

·
Registered
152 Posts
A newbie should not start out on a progressive reloader, especially with the 5.7x28, it is a finicky round. You might want to see if you can find a used rockchucker to start out with, or a Lee Anniversary Kit.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok.

I really have no interest in doing it - I just tought that it might be wise to buy a set of dies should the worst happen. Then I could be covered...

·
Registered
636 Posts
YAh ship just hold off on that if you would like to start reloading I started on a Dillion 550B is the way to go but you have to start with a pistol load the 5.7 is a advanced round to load since it is so new and load data is just comming out now plus the case coating ect dies will be made long after they stop producing ammo...IMO

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hey Ship,

If this does ever happen- cuz you never know, I have you covered. I have over 5k in spent cases and have three extra sets of dies. I can provide you with a detailed step by step process to reloading the 5.7

and Yes, if you just want to buy a set of dies just in case for the future... go to the place you said...Midwayusa, look for either the Hornady die set or the RCBS 5.7 FL Die set for around $30.
Wil

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, kewl...

Since it is a proprietary round, I'm trying to have at least 2k stocked by the end of the year.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Good idea,

Also, from what I have been told by FN is that the SS197 (which is Mfg. in the states by Fiocchi) does have a primer which last longer than the SS195. So you are good with the idea of picking up a little more of the SS197.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yea, that's what I saw posted. Got 1k of 197 arriving today :)

5 to 10 years from now, I don't wanna get stuck 1 day....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts