FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my 16s a few years ago. FN's quality control people were asleep at the wheel at the time. During that time when someone would say "I got a SCAR!" the first thing they were told was to check the torque in the barrel extension. Mine wasn't torqued at the factory, in fact the barrel was visibly canted to the left.

So I bought a torque wrench, removed the barrel and re-installed it following the proper torque pattern. The barrel still points to the left. None of the 4 barrel extension screws/bolts look like they are going straight in. They all seem to be leaning one way or another. So I paid about $2000 for a rifle with a barrel that's about as crooked as a Century WASR-10 AK47. But it shoots, it's never given me any trouble after I torqued it.

So what I want to know is, what is/was the cause of the canted barrels? Were they not machining the receivers correctly? Are the bolt holes in the barrel extension not in the right place? I know I wasn't the only person to get a SCAR with a barrel that wasn't torqued at the factory. I know I wasn't the only one to get a SCAR with a canted barrel.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, so if the problem is not with the receivers, then the issue is with the barrel extension.

I dug my Seekonk T handle wrench out and removed the barrel from my SCAR. When I put it back in it sat perfectly aligned with the receiver. I put the screws in finger tight and everything still looked good. When I did the Z pattern 62 inch-pound torque, the barrel shifts to the left.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts