FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my state it finally became legal to carry 1 a few month's ago and while 1 could own 1 it was illegal to carry 1 or any knife with a blade of over 4 in so I started collecting blades and have a fairly large collection of all types, yes even Zombie Slayer's!

I must admit I was shocked at some of these prices ranging from $15. to $500.+ for a famous maker switchblade, OMG can get another good gun for less than that!

Many Switches like the Italian ones are exp but basically junk except for cutting apples or opening letters and wont hold a edge, also bought some Cold Steel knives and there are a lot of issues with quality control which is sad!

All in all my favorite 1 is the SOG Sp elite 2 switchblade due to it being very sturdy etc..

As far as Zombie slayer's go my favorite is not a Katana but a Gladius by Cold Steel about $35. cuts them Zombies from both sides!LOL

Thank's

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a Boker+ Automat Kalishnikov 74.

It was a "Kalishnikov"... I couldn't help myself.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well for many of us (ME) this was illegal so long and now that it is its a whole new game!

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a Boker+ Automat Kalishnikov 74.

It was a "Kalishnikov"... I couldn't help myself.
Nice, I am old fashioned so I got the AK 47 version! Great knife for the $!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Benchmade automatic knives are high quality tanks from my experience. I have an Infidel and an out-the-side automatic from Benchmade as well. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
I have an infidel as well. Like all OTF knives it doesn't like any sort of debris in the action. Sand - forget it. In the city it's a great knife. In the wild - leave it at home or keep it in a baggy (which defeats the purpose). Now benchmades OTS automatics, heck yeah they are unstoppable from my experience.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I have an infidel as well. Like all OTF knives it doesn't like any sort of debris in the action. Sand - forget it. In the city it's a great knife. In the wild - leave it at home or keep it in a baggy (which defeats the purpose). Now benchmades OTS automatics, heck yeah they are unstoppable from my experience.
Interesting, I've never taken my Infidel into the wild but this is really good to know, didn't know it had to be kept so tidy to work.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I am a Spyderco, ad admitted Spydercoholic, their autos are very good, however I also really like Pro-Tech, also family owned, Dave Wattenberg makes a very simple, very hard firing and well designed auto knives.

No matter what brand you chose beware of buying from sellers that are not factoy authorized. Chinease cloans and copies of auto, folding, fixed and OTF knives is rampant. The bass turds can make pretty good copies but the materials are crappy. Even correct looking box and paper materials is no guarantee it is authentic.

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
Our wonderful legislators here in Michigan decided to pull the word "Switchblade" out of the new law 6 months ago after it had passed the Senate no problem and was to be voted on in the House and it passed with only 3 or 4 no votes.. It would have done the same with Switchblade still in there..

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OTF knives are quite a Fad, but really as earlier stated no where as functional as a side opener, however the best OTF knife on a budget is the Lightning which is made in Taiwan and goes for $35. and it has never failed to open in the hundreds of times used!

Nutnfancy loves it and bought several for his family!http://www.myswitchblade.com/v/vspfiles/photos/LIGHTNINGBLAKOTFSERRATED-2.jpg

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've got an Infidel and it's been flawless for my uses which is pocket carry. Not really clear on some of the comments regarding functionality of OTF. Mine works every time and is certainly a deadly weapon if you need it. I'm not opening sardine cans or whittling pine wood for fun and profit so maybe that's the point people are making. My knife is purely self defense so for me, an OTF has proven ideal - good luck.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I don't know why but every times somebody mentioned "switchblades", I started thinking about the Jets and the Sharks.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
I've got an Infidel and it's been flawless for my uses which is pocket carry. Not really clear on some of the comments regarding functionality of OTF. Mine works every time and is certainly a deadly weapon if you need it. I'm not opening sardine cans or whittling pine wood for fun and profit so maybe that's the point people are making. My knife is purely self defense so for me, an OTF has proven ideal - good luck.
To be clear, my comment on OTFs is that you can't get anything in the action. Most importantly sand or anything resembling sand. I would not take my Infidel out here where am no way no how. Sand gets into every crevice when there is a sandstorm. I forgot mine was on me when I had a rondevous on the beach one late night. Sand got into it and it F'd it up so bad I had to send it back to Bemchmade. That was after multiple attempts to blow it out, soak it, oil it and generally clean it. They couldn't fix it either and had to send me a brand new one. I didn't mention chopping down trees or prying out loose nails or whatever. :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Benchmade makes fantastic knives bought 1 of their Mel Purdue models yrs ago but the bad thing about Benchmade is they WONT accept a return from a customer even under warranty on autos unless your are LE or a dealer, so the avg Joe is in trouble!

·
Registered
234 Posts
My current favorite is the G&G Hawk designed ZT 0650ST. It would probably be difficult to get one, but they are well worth it. The mechanism on them is incredibly reliable and safe. I've carried mine daily for years and have never had any operational issues despite occasionally ignoring lint buildup. It has also never accidentally fired while carrying and its integral safety won't slow you down when opening it. It uses a variation of the hawk lock. You slide the button toward the spine to unlock them slide toward the butt to open. This can be down in one natural motion, and once open the blade is locked. You can then also reengage the safety by sliding it back toward the belly of the knife, and it can't accidentally unlock. The Hawks did a few customs with this mechanism, and there was also an Emerson auto that used it. The Hawks are currently working on a custom OTF that they guarantee will have solid, play free lockup, if I can get my hands on one of those, I expect that will be my favorite.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416804059.154865.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416804083.235634.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416804106.340343.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts