FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this post on the Firing Lines forum and thought it was worth repeating here:

"After reading the various firearms forums on the Net for several years, I've learned the following:

(1) No 1911-series gun works correctly out of the box. You'll need to sink a lot of money into it to get reliable function.

(2) SIG's are nice but they rust almost instantly and the frames crack.

(3) Glocks will Kaboom before you can get through the first magazine.

(4) Berettas, well, nobody wants a Beretta. They're so 1980's (plus the slide will break and hit you in the face. Who wants that?).

(5) S&W's new M&P series are reasonably cheap, but they're also made that way and fall apart.

(6) H&K's are just WAY too expensive, besides they're just warmed-over Glocks anyway.

(7) Steyrs, well, nobody really seems to know. But they're from Austria so they're probably OK."

Good satirical overview of what happens when you buy a gun and then go to internet forums to read about it. I bought a Glock 23 and read so much about Kabooms in .40 S&W Glocks that I stopped shooting 180 grain ammo for a while. Bought an M&P and worried about mags flying out of the gun and leaving me with an empty gun. Also saw pictures of badly rusted M&P's. Bought an FNP and came to this board only to read reports of problems with the FNP. So far my Glock hasn't blown up, my M&P mags have stayed in the gun and my FNP goes "bang" every time I pull the trigger.

I've decided that internet boards are useful to get a feel for the characteristics of different guns - like grip size, grip angle, trigger reach, trigger feel, trigger reset, weight, balance, perceived recoil, etc. They are also useful for learning about the "quirks" that each gun has, such as Glock's have small slide releases, M&P's and Kahr's may not go into battery if you sling shot the slide, CZ slides are hard to get a grip on, etc.

In the end, I decided that if I like a gun and it comes from a reputable manufacturer, then I'm not going to worry about it breaking. The vast, vast majority don't break and if you happen to get one of the few that do, most gun manufacturers will make it right.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Yep. Good post. Some people love to harp on any guns teething issues and repeat them everywhere they can. "The sky is falling!"

I was just reading a thread on another forum by a guy that bought an M&P last week (full size 40) and his mags refuse to stay in the gun. He is trying to decide whether to send it back for repair or just order the new mag release and replace it himself. No big deal, he will get it fixed and that will be that.

There is no doubt that certain guns like the M&P have an issue. But it's 'usually' a small number of the total production run that has the problem. Hell, mass produced goods almost can't help but have issues of some sort unless it's a Slinky.

You can buy a new car costing ten's of thousands of dollars and have to take it back because of a problem.

I've been very lucky with guns. I've bought over 30 handguns and 20 long guns and I have never had to return one. I bought a SIG GSR last year. That gun has had a bad rep since it came out. Won't feed, won't eject... mine runs fine and shoots straight every time. I love the gun! I probably couldn't sell it and get my money back if I tried but why should I care? It's the best 45 I own.

My FNP9 runs fine and is my second most accurate 9mm. If the gun cracks I'll send it back. FN will either be using a new part soon or will work out a way to strengthen this one. It could just be an issue of how the plastic is injected into the mold that causes a weekness on that right side sometimes. They will figure it out.

I would like to get a FNP9M for a carry gun.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You left out the whole thing about "Real men don't carry 9 mm. Everyone knows that 45 is a death ray."
Also, the group who wants IWB holsters for 22 cal. pistols (same group spends hours trying to hand-make "hi cap" magazines ... that hold an extra three rounds. Go figure.).

If you filter through the crap, you can still learn a lot on the 'net. The more genteel forums don't let people post crap without calling them out. There are couple of gun forums that are Gentlemen's clubs, a few that are more of a rowdy cop bar atmosphere.

Believe about 25% of what you read...and 50% of what you see.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My FNP9 runs fine and is my second most accurate 9mm.
I feel the same about my FN P9. I have to ask: what's number 1? Mine's a Glock 17.

·
Registered
268 Posts
And people wonder why I currently have an M95 nagant revolver strapped to my hip? Seriously though, the handguns you mentioned that I actually have experience with worked great (excepting my 1911, but that was an extractor issue, improper fitting at the factory was all it was).

The FNP9-M is a great carry piece. I've considered selling mine several times, but I can't bring myself to do it. Two reasons for this really, one is that they aren't available this year, the other is that I doubt they have a very impressive resale value.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Great post Fabius. So very true.

My example of this syndrome is my Glock 36. Go to any Glock forum and the 36 will be cast as the worst weapon ever molded from polymer. FTEs, FTFs, inaccurate, finicky, etc... Well, mine has been 100% from day one. Reliable, accurate and in every way what a good personal carry gun should be.

Same for my FNP 40. 500+ rounds of total reliability. I like it so much I called my local gun shop tonight and am having them look for an FNP 45 as soon as he can get one, and I've even thought about getting rid of my CZ75 PCR and getting an FNP 9.

Gentlemen, we are living in a new golden age of firearms technology.

Enjoy it and don't worry so much.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like my FNP-40 so much that after 1,000 rounds without a problem I traded my Glock 23 to get a SA Mil Spec 1911A1. Decided I needed a .45 to go with my 9mm M&P and my .40 cal FNP. The 1911 has been utterly reliable out of the box through 300 rounds. All three are more accurate for me than the Glock and each has characteristics that I really like.

I think that the FNP is one of the best packages out there in a polymer framed gun. Nice grip and grip angle, comfortable to shoot, shoft recoil for a .40, excellent DA trigger that makes the transition from DA to SA easy and well designed, ergonomic controls. I read a post where someone described it as so well designed that it is almost boring. That is actually a good description, because I find that the gun feels very natural in my hand and the controls are all right were they need to be for convenient operation. It just looks and feels like a solid, well designed gun. Also, the easiest of all my guns to disassemble.

I figure if FNP was able to get all of that right, then they will be able to fix any problem that might come up.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
"AITG"
My FNP9 runs fine and is my second most accurate 9mm.
I feel the same about my FN P9. I have to ask: what's number 1? Mine's a Glock 17.
1. CZ75 SP-01 Angus Hobdell Custom.
2. FNP-9

Followed by (in no particular order) the Glock 17, XD9, P7, P225, P99cAS, 92G, Star B... I shoot all of these well, just not as good as I do the other two.

I have some springs and things to put into the 92G that should put it with the other two.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts