FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have PMd a couple of you in regards to this question but I thought it would be beneficial to get a wider sampling... I am looking into getting one of these soon and I stumbled on a thread where one of our members talks about his batteries dying all the time. I know that newer illuminated leupolds have an auto on off feature but I am having a hard time finding the battery info on this scope. I read that it has an off position between each level of brightness and thats all I could find. My Google fu is failing me.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have been running my Mk6 1-6x since the first week in April '14, no issues with the batteries as I'm still on the original battery. The only issue I have encountered is that the red light blinks at times and I re-adjust myself and the blinking stops...

But yes, I too am interested in the battery life issue some are experiencing.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I have been running my Mk6 1-6x since the first week in April '14, no issues with the batteries as I'm still on the original battery. The only issue I have encountered is that the red light blinks at times and I re-adjust myself and the blinking stops...

Perhaps you can turn the illumination on and watch it sporadically to see if it dims or shuts completely off... I've read the illumination on 7 will last anywhere from not even 4 hours up to 8 hours... 8 hours is ok with me but not even 4 is worrisome. I found illumination to be daylight bright on setting 5, so I'd love to hear how long illumination lasts on settings 5 and 6.... I'm guessing substantially longer... It would also be cool if Leupold could have built in their 5 minute auto shut off into the rifle (along with off settings between on settings), but that is just wishful thinking on my part.

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perhaps you can turn the illumination on and watch it sporadically to see if it dims or shuts completely off... I've read the illumination on 7 will last anywhere from not even 4 hours up to 8 hours... 8 hours is ok with me but not even 4 is worrisome. I found illumination to be daylight bright on setting 5, so I'd love to hear how long illumination lasts on settings 5 and 6.... I'm guessing substantially longer... It would also be cool if Leupold could have built in their 5 minute auto shut off into the rifle (along with off settings between on settings), but that is just wishful thinking on my part.
Am I reading this right? It doesn't have the motion sensor in it? The battery last 6 hours on high? I am talking about the 3.5-18X I don't know if that makes a difference.

How long does the battery last in the competition? Like say the nightforce NXS 3.5 - 15 F1... Because if its more than 6 hours that might be a better option... It also happens to to be 2K$ less...

·
Registered
671 Posts
Am I reading this right? It doesn't have the motion sensor in it? The battery last 6 hours on high? I am talking about the 3.5-18X I don't know if that makes a difference.

How long does the battery last in the competition? Like say the nightforce NXS 3.5 - 15 F1... Because if its more than 6 hours that might be a better option... It also happens to to be 2K$ less...
I'm hoping for the same answers as you although I'm interested in the 1-6 daylight bright models... I actually E-mailed Leupold asking them the same question, twice actually and they had plenty of time to respond but haven't. Kinda makes me wonder if they're hiding something...

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bump.

Please chime in MK6 users. Does anyone even have a 3.5-18X illuminated?

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I found one reference to battery life on M4dotnet and it states that the "official" answer is 24 hours but the "reports" show that it last longer. There is no supporting evidence though. I am not surprised at the lack of information by end users as folks aren't running around snatching up 3,500$ scopes like it's cool. I'm am however surprised that the information isn't furnished by leupy. This is not a leupold bashfest. Quite the contrary I happen to own a few leupolds and they are outstanding optics. This is purely informational to inform those that want to know. If 24 hours is indeed the life of the CR battery in the optic I guess that's liveable but its not ideal for that kind of money. The scope is attractive to me personally because its got everything I'm looking for in a smaller lighter package than the competition. It looks like the Schmidt and bender PMii is a contender for the price but are hard to get. Also the PMii is longer taller and heavier than the MK6.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Bump.

I have the MK6 3-18X illuminated scope. I absolutely love it, but the battery life on the illumination can be short if you continuously use the illum on 6 or 7. I forgot to turn my illum off after a range session and the next day my battery was dead. I have no idea what the battery life is supposed to be, but I now keep an extra new battery in my range bag just in case.

Reactions: lefthanded7

·
Registered
660 Posts
Bump.

I'm reading the spec sheet for a Mark 8 3.5-25x56 about the illumination. (I will find my spec sheets on the Mark 6s but I'm sure it is the same electronic system.)

But for this scope the battery life is as follows:

Battery life @ 70deg.F (+- 5deg) continuous use at setting 7 or high 96 hours Min.
Battery life @ 70deg.F (+- 5deg) continuous use at setting 1 or low 1800 hours Min.
Battery life @ -20deg.F (+- 5deg) continuous use at setting 5 or higher 48 hours Min

·
Registered
660 Posts

After talking to a buddy of mine at Leupold's Tactical Ops line - the Mark 6 Does Not have the motion sensor (auto off of illumination after 5 minutes of no motion) and for good reason! It because that was a direct requirement of the U.S. Military to not have in on there since once a sniper or other operator is in position with his weapon and he has to wait for the right moment to take a shot, he doesn't want to draw attention to himself by having to move the rifle every 5 minutes to make the illumination come back on. (Make perfect sense to me!)

·
Registered
660 Posts
Spec for Mark 6 3-18x44 Illuminated SF, FFP:

Battery life @ 70deg.F (+- 5deg) continuous use at setting 7 or high 72 hours Min.
Battery life @ 70deg.F (+- 5deg) continuous use at setting 1 or low 1200 hours Min.
Battery life @ -20deg.F (+- 5deg) continuous use at setting 5 or higher 48 hours Min.
Low battery signal (brief reticle flashing when voltage level falls below range of requirements)

Note: Not all batteries are not created equal. Temperature is a big factor in 2.2 volt battery life.

·
Registered
660 Posts

Please read my posts about battery life in this thread. But as for your blinking red - I have to ask, is it blinking when you first turn it on? If so its a low voltage warning to change your battery. But if is kind of "winks out" as you move your head on the stock, that to show you where true eye alignment to center is as to reduce POI shift because of parallax since there is no side focus on a 1-6x20. Once you are true center of image you would see a constant bright illumination.

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You're are the man Lefty. I appreciate it.

Reactions: lefthanded7

·
Registered
76 Posts
The reticle blinking could be dimming that we get with the illuminatio. technology selected for use with the ffp. On 1x, its tough to see it blink or dim, at 6x if your head is out of position, the lit part of the reticle dims. This is usually the biggest knock when reading reviews..
Tell you what, tnis weekend ill out a new batt in and check every hour

·
Registered
671 Posts
The reticle blinking could be dimming that we get with the illuminatio. technology selected for use with the ffp. On 1x, its tough to see it blink or dim, at 6x if your head is out of position, the lit part of the reticle dims. This is usually the biggest knock when reading reviews..
Tell you what, tnis weekend ill out a new batt in and check every hour
Good stuff, I'm looking forward to hearing the results.

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
12 hours on bright. I fell asleep. Still on sunday morning. Then dead. About 18 hours on 7 (MAX) before I stopped looking. Its dead now. energizer.
Thanks man I appreciate it. Where did you buy yours? 3-18?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts