FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So two years ago my buddy Andrew and I go for a drive from Phoenix to J&G Sales up in Prescott to buy some ammo. Andrew has been going non-stop telling me about SCAR this that and the other. I tell him I'm done buying firearms. I've got everything I want to shoot ranging from .22 rifles to machineguns. Done, finished, the end. We get up to J&G and there's a SCAR17 on the wall. OK, sure, looks cool Andrew but I'm still not interested. I've got my M1A blah blah blah, but he has the guy behind the counter bring it down. Wow, well balanced rifle, enough rails to hang fuzzy dice, sidewalk scrapers, you name it but the thing that got me...you'll roll your eyes... the adjustable cheek piece. This weapon just fit. I was hooked... bad, like in junky bad (I've never done drugs but I did get the shakes needing this new battle rifle) Now to come up with the roughly $2800 price tag at the time. I'm not sure what Andrew told his wife so he could purchase his. I think I told my girlfriend I needed it to protect her from the coming zombie apocalypse. The look I got was...less than enthusiastic. Anyways, so Andrew calls, he's at Shooter Stop ( they had the best prices in town at the time ) and he's buying his. I of course had to keep up with the Jones's so went down there right then and there and bought mine too ( the store owner loved us ). A few weeks later, our SCAR17s came in. I picked mine up right after I got back from vacation around Thanksgiving time. Now we find ourselves constantly wanting to get more stuff for it... What is your story?

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you look at one and don't feel the need to add it to your collection, you don't have a pulse.

·
Premium Member
9,490 Posts
BBG, you are correct! Here I bought a FS2000 when the opportunity came up. So then I joined the forum. Now I have a new 16S in my safe. Argh! :icon_wave:
Honestly, that is exactly what happened to me. I got a FS2K and joined the forum. I spent nearly two years ogling everyone else's SCARs and finally got a 16. And at that point I knew that I'd have to have the 17. I wanted a quality 7.62 NATO carbine and the 17 filled my needs...or will fill my needs. 21 more days, gents. I can almost taste it.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
It all started w/ Kalashnikov platforms and heavy duty internals, then soon found out that the newly hyped "civi" ACR was really different in quality from the full go Remington ACR.
Soon the info spread that the civi Scar was very close in quality to the Military Scar besides fire controls and muzzle etc.

It's one of the finer rifles of our generation,... period.

...then all the tragic boating accidents...

·
Registered
787 Posts
The path:

1. Bought FsN after "discovering" it on my own. Somehow the uproar from the left about how dangerous it was whetted my appetite. From early on I recognised that FDE would be the right color. Pressed "Buy Now" button.
  2. Joined FNF to learn more about this interesting weapon. Starting reading about other stuff.
  3. Read lots of buzz about the SCAR, but - what an ugly weapon!
  4. Read more stuff.
  5. Hmmm, looking better now. Much better!
  6. Pressed the "Buy Now" button on a 16S. FDE, of course.
  7. Both funds for and availability of 17S disappear.
  8. Start reading about the FNX-45T on FNF. Oh, no - Here we go again! Press "Buy Now" again. It's FDE, naturally.
  9. Currently living in fear that that a 17S will show up somewhere at a reasonable price. In FDE.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've always had a passion for guns, joined the Military at 20 and got to handle some badass weapons. Bought my first rifle at 21, it was a DPMS AR15 (M4 style). Never shot the thing, got stationed in Hawaii and sold the thing (stupid me!). Deployed again to Iraq, came back and was over at Magnums in Honolulu and they had everything (AR's, FAL's,AK's, a FN SCAR, and everything in the middle). Now I new what a SCAR was and new SOCOM was using them but had no idea they made a civilian version and then I saw the price tag... cant remember if it was a 16 or 17 but I know it was $3000+ and this was back in 2010. Ended up buying another AR15 (M16A4 Clone) and a Benelli M4 Shotgun.

Got stationed in Washington with the 2nd Ranger Batt and we had a few MK16's and got to mess with those. Sold my AR and the shotgun and was weaponless. Went through selection and deployed and got to handle the MK17 which really sold me on the gun. Built a custom M4A1 Block II clone and a MK18 SBR but just was missing something. Decided I needed a SCAR in my life and purchased a 16 a few weeks ago and love it, been adding alot to it and about to get the barrel sent off to be cut down. Now I need to fill that 7.62 void so been looking at a 17 today, been bidding on a FDE 17 but got outbid for $3K and think Im going to let the guy take it. We've been going back and forth today so Im sure hes willing to spend more then I want to on a 17. Hopefully within the next few weeks I can scratch this itch I have. Sucks because I saw at least 3 or 4 FDE 17's in Dec for around $2600-$2800.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I will probably lose all credibility (if I had any) but I actually had never purchased a rifle. I hate to admit this. It's a sad state. But yes. *hangs head in shame* However, I told a buddy I was wanting to get a semi-auto in .308 (more power, less hoarded but still readily available, etc....). He offered a couple of options. Then one day he called me and he said "You know what you need to get, you need to get you a Scar 17 (said in his emphatic Midwestern drawl....think McConnaghey in We Are Marshall). He said "It's the best rifle on the market and SOCOM is going to it." I went out, found one for sale, and haven't looked back. Now, I have the gun bug and the FN bug all at once. I'm some sad kind of sick, fellas.

·
Registered
957 Posts
BBG, you are correct! Here I bought a FS2000 when the opportunity came up. So then I joined the forum. Now I have a new 16S in my safe. Argh! :icon_wave:
now you need a 17!

Have wanted one since I saw it years ago. Nice balance, light, super sexy. Didn't have the money to afford it at the time. When I had more money, had other financial commitments. After the great gun grab of last year I committed to buy the first fde 17 that showed up at my LGS. Now I'm a happy owner of multiple scars!

·
Registered
53 Posts
i started out with a bunch of ak's
no ar's. wanted something better
went into fun shop,
surprisingly had two 17s one of each color.
took about an hour before i could decide which one.
but i knew for sure it was coming home with me.
was the best birthday present for myself at the time.

·
Registered
139 Posts
i started out with a bunch of ak's
no ar's. wanted something better
went into fun shop,
surprisingly had two 17s one of each color.
took about an hour before i could decide which one.
but i knew for sure it was coming home with me.
was the best birthday present for myself at the time.
So what color did you pick?
Are you on Oahu?

1 - 20 of 103 Posts