FN Herstal Firearms banner
81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
It matched my accessories . It sucked the sight out of everything else on the shelf . It WAS stealth . It WAS evil . It made me sell my soul to have it $ ₢ £ ₪ ₭ . It made my SWMBO swear at me §‱‡✠. It shot nice and was light and balanced.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My wife and I got married in December. My best man, who is in the army flew in a couple weeks before the wedding. At the time I had been looking at bull pups like the Aug and fs2000. When I told him about them his exact response was "f*** that! don't buy a p**** a** 223. He then showed me the scar. It was love at first sight. So over Christmas time I spent a lot of time stalking this forum, developing serious gun envy. Then, last week my wife mentioned that she had not got me a wedding/ engagement gift. She offered to buy me one. I now have a black 17 on order and should have it within the next two weeks. End of story, this act has assured me that I picked the best of the bunch, both in guns and women.

·
Premium Member
9,839 Posts
Been stalking the forums for a while developing gun envy. Then last week my wife bought me a black 17 as a wedding present. Best girl EVER!
Welcome to the forum...and congrats on the wedding, the great wife and the SCAR!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
^^^^^^^^this

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Welcome and congrats! :) that's awesome.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks guys! Now the question becomes optics, which will likely take a couple months of research to decide. Unfortunately there is so much information on this sight, if anything it makes the decision more difficult rather than easier

·
Registered
105 Posts
As bad as outsourcing has F'd up quality control in any type of product-firearm related or not, paying more for a well engineered, thoughtfully designed, high-quality product made, manufactured and assembled by skilled workers who are paid handsomely for their work shouldn't cause any regrets-regardless of what place on this earth it's done. That's the way it should be. That's this guys opinion, anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
well said..

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks guys! Now the question becomes optics, which will likely take a couple months of research to decide. Unfortunately there is so much information on this sight, if anything it makes the decision more difficult rather than easier
Couldnt agree more! Been going back and forth on a eotech, accupoint, 1x, 1-4x ect... Congrats on the the new SCAR and new marriage!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I've been watching it since it was first revealed on this forum and I have had very little interest in it, until I shot one a few weeks ago. 5 rounds was all it took to realize I needed one, so I put one on layaway a few weeks ago. I love it and the FS200 more than just about any other firearm.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It doesn't do anything markedly better than a good AR, I know.
The SCAR has markedly better reliability when dirty.
It has markedly better reliability when un-lubricated.
It has markedly better reliability after submerged in water.
It has markedly less carbon fouling.
It markedly runs cooler (heating issues).

·
Registered
637 Posts
The question for me isn't why did I buy my first SCAR. The question isn't why did I buy my second SCAR. The question is why in the hell am I thinking a third makes sense. I have FDE and black. As long as they don't come out with a third color I guess I can hold off. And yes I know that technically the FDE can count as 3-4 different colors.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Runs clean. Folding stock. Little recoil. Made by FN. And it matches my Jeep.

When you research a gun and the only negative comments you can find are price-related, then it's time to break out your wallet and buy it.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire

·
Registered
27 Posts
In my quest for wanting a firearm in my list of popular calibers I was at first thinking .308 bolt gun.

After a shoot with a FAL I thought I had found the one but then a few weeks later one of my best buddies called me and wanted to know if I a heard of a Scar 17 ? Well ya I said but told him that it had not been on my radar due to the price. He got it, I shot it, ear to ear grin........some of the best money I have ever spent !!! :shock:

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Regarding H&K--there not that much different than FN in the sense that a big part of there target market is gov't contracts, it's not their fault the gov't has forced these misguided laws down our throats. If they can offer it to the commercial markets and make a big profit, I highly doubt they'd hesitate to produce it. Much like the many SCAR haters you see on a lot of forums, the larger price tag tends to leave some on the side lines and playing armchair qb. IMHO HK and FN make fantastic and well engineered products. It's a shame folks like to pile on so much. It's kind of silly to knock a product out of context with respect to purpose and era in which it was designed. Some of the platforms people like to hate on because of there lack of modularity or current product support were born way before the quad rails and 1913 everything came around-not unlike the M1A m14 platforms. As bad as outsourcing has F'd up quality control in any type of product-firearm related or not, paying more for a well engineered, thoughtfully designed, high-quality product made, manufactured and assembled by skilled workers who are paid handsomely for their work shouldn't cause any regrets-regardless of what place on this earth it's done. That's the way it should be. That's this guys opinion, anyway.
Sorry but I have to disagree. HK is nothing like FN. If anyone is in the position to ignore the civy market, it's FN, who is the biggest provider to the military. Despite of that fact, unlike HK, FN don't treat their civilian market with contempt, FN don't have a culture where they think their product is basically God's gift to man, FN has introduced civilian versions of almost all of their military/LE platforms, FN don't take a long time to make those guns available to civilians (FN AR15 is coming out soon, less than a year from FN winning the military contract for M16s/M4s), and even for the models that don't have a civilian version FN has never tried to justify it by stating that those guns don't belong in civilian hands because they have no "sporting purposes". Going back to FN AR15s, despite the fact that civilian markets is highly saturated with AR15s and there's no guarantee they will "make big profit", FN is still producing it. Even back when they introduced PS90, the potential return on investment was low, because the platform is based on a proprietary round which would logically limit the appeal among civilian shooters. Neither the government nor federal regulations has anything to do with those differences, those are internal business decisions and culture of the company.

Yes, while I agree that HK and FN both make great guns, but by your logic HK pistols are twice as much "fantastic and well engineered" as FN pistols because HKs cost almost twice as much as FNs? Not even just FNs, but Walther, CZ, S&W, etc all make great polymer framed pistols as well, are their pistols vastly inferior to HKs because they are that much cheaper? I think plenty of people will disagree. Sure, the SCAR is expensive and receives its share of flak because of it. But I happen to think the SCAR is peerless in its respective category. Find me another 308 battle rifle with a foldable stock, AR-like ergo and combat tested reliability that is light weight and also extremely accurate. I couldn't which is why I paid what I paid for the SCAR. I simply can't say the same for many of HK products.

Reactions: Burt Gummer 762

·
Registered
96 Posts
Simple answer for me.

I was at the range one day with a friend who had recently bought a 17S. He offered to let me shoot it and I
didn't hesitate since it looked so cool. After one 20 round mag I was hooked. I bought my own several months
later.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Sorry but I have to disagree. HK is nothing like FN. If anyone is in the position to ignore the civy market, it's FN, who is the biggest provider to the military. Despite of that fact, unlike HK, FN don't treat their civilian market with contempt, FN don't have a culture where they think their product is basically God's gift to man, FN has introduced civilian versions of almost all of their military/LE platforms, FN don't take a long time to make those guns available to civilians (FN AR15 is coming out soon, less than a year from FN winning the military contract for M16s/M4s), and even for the models that don't have a civilian version FN has never tried to justify it by stating that those guns don't belong in civilian hands because they have no "sporting purposes". Going back to FN AR15s, despite the fact that civilian markets is highly saturated with AR15s and there's no guarantee they will "make big profit", FN is still producing it. Even back when they introduced PS90, the potential return on investment was low, because the platform is based on a proprietary round which would logically limit the appeal among civilian shooters. Neither the government nor federal regulations has anything to do with those differences, those are internal business decisions and culture of the company.

Yes, while I agree that HK and FN both make great guns, but by your logic HK pistols are twice as much "fantastic and well engineered" as FN pistols because HKs cost almost twice as much as FNs? Not even just FNs, but Walther, CZ, S&W, etc all make great polymer framed pistols as well, are their pistols vastly inferior to HKs because they are that much cheaper? I think plenty of people will disagree. Sure, the SCAR is expensive and receives its share of flak because of it. But I happen to think the SCAR is peerless in its respective category. Find me another 308 battle rifle with a foldable stock, AR-like ergo and combat tested reliability that is light weight and also extremely accurate. I couldn't which is why I paid what I paid for the SCAR. I simply can't say the same for many of HK products.
Well, I don't think ill post anymore on this thread-HK-since it's not the question asked by the OP, but since I already helped to derail it just a bit(one more comment couldn't hurt, could it?) and you psychoanalyzed my post logic...
I'm not an H&K fanboy or HK attorney -Dewey, Chargem and Moore-but I can recognize higher quality materials and better fit and finish and design when I see them. So can you-that's why we both have a SCAR- I have some of the other brands you mentioned and while they're great guns, the HK quality is better, at least for the pistols. I'm not an engineer or metallurgist so I can't quantify that with every aspect described in detail. My point was it isn't better because it costs more-the inverse- it costs more because its better--that and a big part of a products final cost to consumer is actually the labor- in fact it's usually the biggest. Regarding the HK 'thinks they're God's gift' well I'm not saying they've never said that-I haven't seen everything-but I've never heard that. They've certainly flaunted their use by military and LE, which gun manufacturer hasn't? Regarding the RECOIL mag fiasco, couldn't tell you who to blame, but I don't trust media-even gun media. Here's some good stuff if you haven't already made up your mind about it.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/09/02/hk-hate-you-import-export-laws-vs-people/

And while I love my S&Ws their record isn't exactly stellar.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_&_Wesson

Skip to history:
n March 2000 Smith & Wesson was the only major gun manufacturer to sign an agreement with the Clinton Administration.[5]

See this tit for tat stuff goes back a good bit further than 2007-I'm sure you're aware.

Anyway if I had enough to buy the MR762...I wouldn't I would buy another 17! Sounds to me like we're almost on the same page!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dobe

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
you psychoanalyzed my post logic...
Hardly, you make your logic pretty plain in your posts.
I'm not an H&K fanboy or HK attorney -Dewey, Chargem and Moore-but I can recognize higher quality materials and better fit and finish and design when I see them. So can you-that's why we both have a SCAR- I have some of the other brands you mentioned and while they're great guns, the HK quality is better, at least for the pistols.
While I agree that some HK pistols do have better finish (not necessary indicative of higher quality material or design), that's not across the board against every pistol (in my experience Walthers are equally nice regarding finish). I brought a SCAR because of quantifiable advantages like ergo, lightweight, accuracy etc. Quality materials, better fit & finish and design themselves are not functional advantages, but it's only assumed those things are related if the product has not been tested. But that's hardly the case with HK. What functional advantages do a ~$1k P30 provide the user over $500 FNS9 or any cheaper polymer pistols? Not any I can tell. If anything, some cheaper polymer pistols straight up out shoot P30 IMO.

I'm not an engineer or metallurgist so I can't quantify that with every aspect described in detail. My point was it isn't better because it costs more-the inverse- it costs more because its better--that and a big part of a products final cost to consumer is actually the labor- in fact it's usually the biggest.
As much as you're not an engineer or metallurgist, I'm not a firearm manufacturer or industry business manager so I can't comment on how production cost and how gun manufacturers set their price tags. I can however speak from an end user perspective and HK product performance simply do not justify their substantially higher cost over similar competitor offerings.

Regarding the HK 'thinks they're God's gift' well I'm not saying they've never said that-I haven't seen everything-but I've never heard that. They've certainly flaunted their use by military and LE, which gun manufacturer hasn't? Regarding the RECOIL mag fiasco, couldn't tell you who to blame, but I don't trust media-even gun media. Here's some good stuff if you haven't already made up your mind about it.

H&K Does Not Hate You: Import and Export Laws Vs. The People - The Firearm Blog
Surely in your internet research in response to my post you have come across HK's ill reputation among the general community. Hell, the article you posted addresses directly. As for the article, it brings up some good points about strictly German export laws I honestly have not thought about. However, like FN, HK also have factories state side that effectively allow them to bypass those restrictive import and export laws the article mentioned.

Anyway if I had enough to buy the MR762...I wouldn't I would buy another 17! Sounds to me like we're almost on the same page!
Nope, I wouldn't choose MR762 over SCAR17 even if they are the same price.

81 - 100 of 103 Posts