FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says I'm looking for an optic for my scar 17. I was leaning towards the Eotech exps 3-4 and then at some point ill put the magnifier behind it when i get a little more cash. And the range i go to is a indoor one so its not like I'm shooting at a target 300 yards away. Now i know a lot of you guys will say o just get an Elcan which i would love to do but they are just way out of price range. Now one of my major concerns is the exps 3-4 is mostly made for a rifle in 5.56 ballistics but since its a red dot can i just sight it in so it will work? Also I've been reading since its such a heavy round i heard the SCAR 17 eats Eotech sights like its its job. Any advice would be greatly appreciated because in the past I've been burned by not buying the right stuff.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Unless you plan on using the optic with night vision in the future, then skip the EXPS3 instead go with the EXPS2 and save some money. Also, ask yourself if you really need the additional height of the EXPS series or the regular XPS series will do. With the savings on the 2-series and XPS series, you're probably a third of the way to a magnifier.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Unless you plan on using the optic with night vision in the future, then skip the EXPS3 instead go with the EXPS2 and save some money. Also, ask yourself if you really need the additional height of the EXPS series or the regular XPS series will do. With the savings on the 2-series and XPS series, you're probably a third of the way to a magnifier.
Id skip the Eotech all together, junk optic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I actually did skip the Eotech and got a Vortex Viper PST. I researched it for a while and I've seen nothing but great reviews for it. The only minor gripe for it I've read and seen on reviews is the illumination isn't the best in the daylight but if you need illumination in the day light you're probably a doofus.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I put an Elcan 1.5-6 on mine and besides being heavy it's the cats meow. Very fun at 25 yard indoor range offhand as it is outdoors at under 500. I like the Kahles K16i as a tube option. But you said cheaper. Vortex Razor HD gen II 1-6 is nice in the 1300ish range.
Burris MTAC or Vortex PST are cheap tube solutions in the 1-4x range. I’ve run Eotech’s and Aimpoint Micros for years and haven’t had any issues whatsoever. I’ve come to prefer the eotech on shotguns and the aimpoint t-1/h-1 on rifles. Now I’ve never scubajumped into the nams and had to beat an anaconda to death for dinner with my scope but I’ve taken them to the range and stored them in a safe and played dress up with them enough.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts