FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just SHTF prepping and wanted to know if any parts are worth stocking.

What would you say are the most likely to break? Or is nothing really likely to break and just not worth stocking anything.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Stock latch. Might also want a firing pin and bolt. They aren't exactly likely to break, but they could break/become damaged.

·
Registered
367 Posts
All of them will break, and each part began corroding the second it left the factory. Stock up for your SHTF prepping scenario. Best bet is to have 2 rifles on hand, just in case.

Reactions: SCAR_PC

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the firing pin likely to break, or do people overly worry about this but it usually never breaks?

I am under the impression that the firing pin hardly breaks even with 1000's of dry firing.

·
Registered
157 Posts
In any spares list, I include things likely to get lost also. That is usually, but not always, some of the same parts as the likely to break list. Springs make the list either way.

·
Registered
146 Posts
First parts I bought were firing pin, bolt and piston w/rings. Not cheap but neither is a scar 17. Invest in your investment.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Is the firing pin likely to break, or do people overly worry about this but it usually never breaks?

I am under the impression that the firing pin hardly breaks even with 1000's of dry firing.
Can't find the thread, but a long time ago someone did break the firing pin through dry firing. Sarge had to send him a new one.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I spoke to a friend who had knowledge about the extended military trials that took place before the SCAR 17 was
approved. The only spare he recommend base on the results was a spare gas piston with rings, which I bought.
The rest, in his opinion, was optional.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Things that can/may/lose break:
Firing pin, extractor, about a thousand of those pain in the ass retaining rings, extractor pin, bolt, stock latch,

Things That can/may wear out:
Springs, gas piston, bolt

Biggest thing is you need to replace your guide rod spring, after I hit about 8000 rounds I compared a new spring with the original spring.
IMG_0119.JPG
The new spring (top) has several inches on the old worn spring, you should have the most common, easiest to lose, and fastest to wear out parts on hand if you do high volume of shooting or are putting together SHTF kit.

Reactions: Brady

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Break? A better question would be what parts are likely to wear out.

I put together spare parts kits for the SCARs and offered them to members when I had sufficient stock to offer them. I'll offer them again when I can.

-SS
This is a great idea, I was actually thinking something like this would be nice if available.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts