FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
50 yards? 100 yards?

What say you?

I apologize for posting this question in the "ammo" section by accident...

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
No problem.

I typically shoot mine at 50 yards. The stock sight is sighted in for 50. And, I set my Eotech for 50 as well.

The best group I've gotten was 1/2" at 50 yards w/ my Eotech, but that was on my 1st trip. I haven't been able to do quite so well again. Although, it seems that all of my other days with the PS90 is on windy days at the range. So, maybe that's why.

My eyes suck for 100 yard shots. I can hit the target, but not in great groups. My range doesn't go any further than 100 yards, so I cannot try any further.

Here is the ballistic table for a 50 yard zero. Realize that we can only buy 195 and 197 now...

·
Registered
69 Posts
That really depends on your shooting practice. If you zero at 50 yds then you have to aim a little higher when shooting at 100 yd targets. If you zero at 100 yds then you have to aim a little lower at 50 yd targets.

·
Registered
142 Posts
This is what Bob Ailes of FNH USA has told me:

If you have one of those USG rails in place of the original optics, then you zero in the back-up sights at 100yards.

Whatever optics that you plan on using, whether it's the original, USG (balck reticle), or an aftermarket one such as Aimpoint, EOTech, or Zeiss, you zero in at 50 yards.

On the standard PS90, those simple blade and notch sights on each side of the optics have a maximum range of 15 yards.

If you have the PS90TR, the only thing that you can do is to zero the optics in at 50 yards since there's no back-up sight at all.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Shipwreck, those charts are for the standard PS90 barrel length, correct? You wouldn't happen to have them for the SBR versions would you?

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Sorry - they are for the standard barrel length. But I don't think it would change too much.

You would still want to zero the gun at 50 yards. I believe factory P90s are set at that distance as well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
That really depends on your shooting practice. If you zero at 50 yds then you have to aim a little higher when shooting at 100 yd targets. If you zero at 100 yds then you have to aim a little lower at 50 yd targets.
Maybe I'm reading the chart wrong, but wouldn't you have to aim lower, not higher at 100 yards when zeroed in at 50 yds?

It looks to me that when zeroed at 50 yds, and shooting at 100, the bullet is still rising at 100 (~91 meters), and would then need to aim 1½ to 2 inches lower depending on whether you were using 195 or 197.

·
Registered
70 Posts
andygold said:
Maybe I'm reading the chart wrong, but wouldn't you have to aim lower, not higher at 100 yards when zeroed in at 50 yds?

It looks to me that when zeroed at 50 yds, and shooting at 100, the bullet is still rising at 100 (~91 meters), and would then need to aim 1 to 1½ inches lower depending on whether you were using 195 or 197.
Tried to delete this post, but can't figure out how...sorry!!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
The iron sights have been good for me out to 25 meters w/o a problem. Haven't tried further. My crappy BSA red dot's set up for 50m and works pretty well.

·
Registered
980 Posts
That chart is only accurate for an optic at ring-sight height.
A small increase in sight height makes a noticeable difference. For example, assume you are zeroed @ 50, and you are shooting @ 100, but your optic sits an inch higher than factory (typical), you should expect the point of impact to be about 2 inches higher than the chart indicates.

If you're using a after-market rail mounted Eotech a 90 yard zero will give the least vertical deviation.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
i did mine at 50 yards and i was hitting a steel plate free handed standing up at 100 yards with my usg sight everytime. Note the steel plate is 2 foot by 2 foot. So i think i am pleased with the results. 2nd Note i love watching people looking at me firing my ps-90 while standing up at 100 yards nearly at rapid fire and each time you hear the faint little metal on metal ping. Then when you mag is empty you look over at the poor fools barely hitting the 100 yard paper targets with his bolt action hunting gun :?

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
workingman1976 said:
i did mine at 50 yards and i was hitting a steel plate free handed standing up at 100 yards with my usg sight everytime. Note the steel plate is 2 foot by 2 foot. So i think i am pleased with the results. 2nd Note i love watching people looking at me firing my ps-90 while standing up at 100 yards nearly at rapid fire and each time you hear the faint little metal on metal ping. Then when you mag is empty you look over at the poor fools barely hitting the 100 yard paper targets with his bolt action hunting gun :?
I wish my range had a metal target downrange like that.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
well i am sure u can bring your own or look for a range that does. I personally like the shock on peoples face when i rapid fire my mp-15 with a beta mag or my ps-90

1 - 15 of 15 Posts