FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I purchased a new SCAR 17S. This is the only rifle I intend to own. Being new to the SCAR 17S platform, I would like some advice on what parts of the 17S will I want to prepare in advance to replace? What parts are most likely to be worn in the first 5k and then 10k rounds. I couldn't find this discussion in any detail in the forum before posting. Thank you.

·
Administrator
11,696 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Forum. I'd say a piston, a bolt, a recoil spring, perhaps a cam pin, a firing pin, and depending if you change out the trigger with something else, a trigger spring, and perhaps a butt stock - depending on how rough you think you might be on it. I had doubts about it's rigidity, and still do somewhat - but the fact is, no one's is breaking. Take this sound advice from someone who learned the hard way. I'm a believer in having spare parts, but the SCAR really doesn't break. I bought a TON of spare parts when I first got mine, and spent about two months selling them like 5 years later. I was fortunate enough to get probably 90 % of my money back - but man oh man, I did a LOT of shipping. I had bought EVERYTHING in sets of 3. The number of parts I've replaced on my 17...ZERO ! Perhaps it's time for a recoil spring, but it's a very durable rifle.

I'd say receiver screws and a set of the heavier barrel extension screws used to tighten down the barrel. Get a torque wrench for removing and reinstalling the barrel - 62 inch pounds. Quite honestly, I like my cheap Wheeler Fat Wrench better than the expensive alternatives. The receiver screws are 32 inch pounds I believe - it's been a while since I've removed any. Those are intended to be one time use only - replaced each time you remove them. Use heat before removing them - they strip out easily. And use green loc-tite 603 on replacing them. Almost impossible to find in stores - so do yourself a favor and just order it online. That's the loc tite FN uses. The receiver screws are a rip off at like a dollar each. Most hardware stores don't carry screws that small. I found some at McFaddendales Hardware store. Packs of a hundred for like $3.00. I have a ton of them still - have sent many out to people in need - for free of course. Quite honestly, I'm so sick of shipping stuff right now I'll still do it - but gees I sold a lot of stuff and put in a ton of Post Office time lol.

Moral of the story - Don't go overboard on spare parts ! Your rifle isn't prone to breakage.

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
I have the basic spares for each SCAR: firing pin, cam pin, return spring assembly and gas piston. By virtue of upgrading all the triggers and SBR'ing one of the 17's and the 16, I have a couple spare barrels and three FCG's.
So far I've had to replace all of nothing. But as the saying goes: It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

The SCAR is a tough machine. Treat it accordingly and enjoy the hell out of it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
From a strictly practical standpoint having a second rifle that just never quite gets totally set-up or is set-up in an alternate configuration (like red dot vs scope) is really the most practical solution. It practically seems like the modern version of having a back up parts set.

The old “two is one, one is none” maxim comes to mind, but I hate thoughtless responses like that.

also did I mention it was practical to have two? Lol

Reactions: Ex-Racer / Ex-Pat

·
Registered
640 Posts
I purchased several SCAR spare parts yesterday afternoon from Midwest Gun Works and just received a shipping notice. Now that's customer service, plus it was the 1st time that MGW had all the parts that I wanted in inventory. They must have just received a load of parts from FN, so now would be the time to get what you want/need...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello and welcome to the Forum. I'd say a piston, a bolt, a recoil spring, perhaps a cam pin, a firing pin, and depending if you change out the trigger with something else, a trigger spring, and perhaps a butt stock - depending on how rough you think you might be on it. I had doubts about it's rigidity, and still do somewhat - but the fact is, no one's is breaking. Take this sound advice from someone who learned the hard way. I'm a believer in having spare parts, but the SCAR really doesn't break. I bought a TON of spare parts when I first got mine, and spent about two months selling them like 5 years later. I was fortunate enough to get probably 90 % of my money back - but man oh man, I did a LOT of shipping. I had bought EVERYTHING in sets of 3. The number of parts I've replaced on my 17...ZERO ! Perhaps it's time for a recoil spring, but it's a very durable rifle.

I'd say receiver screws and a set of the heavier barrel extension screws used to tighten down the barrel. Get a torque wrench for removing and reinstalling the barrel - 62 inch pounds. Quite honestly, I like my cheap Wheeler Fat Wrench better than the expensive alternatives. The receiver screws are 32 inch pounds I believe - it's been a while since I've removed any. Those are intended to be one time use only - replaced each time you remove them. Use heat before removing them - they strip out easily. And use green loc-tite 603 on replacing them. Almost impossible to find in stores - so do yourself a favor and just order it online. That's the loc tite FN uses. The receiver screws are a rip off at like a dollar each. Most hardware stores don't carry screws that small. I found some at McFaddendales Hardware store. Packs of a hundred for like $3.00. I have a ton of them still - have sent many out to people in need - for free of course. Quite honestly, I'm so sick of shipping stuff right now I'll still do it - but gees I sold a lot of stuff and put in a ton of Post Office time lol.

Moral of the story - Don't go overboard on spare parts ! Your rifle isn't prone to breakage.
Thank you. This is very helpful

1 - 14 of 14 Posts