FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody. This is my first post. Just yesterday I put on lay-away an FN SLP which I found here in Houston NIB for $850. Today I was on Gun Test's website looking at their archived gun reviews and read an article from the Feb. 2008 issue comparing the Rem. 1187 Police, HK/Fabarm and the FN SLP. Apparently the SLP could not reliably feed any of their test loads so they stopped the test and gave it an "F". I realize this may be a defective sample and not representative of the majority of the SLP's, but it sure bummed me out. I can't wait to pay off my lay-away and bring it home but this sure took the wind out of my sails... Any positive comments to cheer me up?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I haven't read too much on the FN SLP but I've done quite a bit of research on the Mossberg SPX. They all seem to have a jamming issue out of the box, but it's remedied with getting some rounds (of all kinds) down range and a good cleaning after that. For the most part that seems to correct all the issues I've read about...which really doesn't make them an issue at all. The problem with the SPX is all the sights seem to be off to the right and it's causing slight aiming issues.

I actually almost picked up an SPX at Dicks Sporting Goods! They've got pretty good prices on the for an FN knockoff, ha.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hello everybody. This is my first post. Just yesterday I put on lay-away an FN SLP which I found here in Houston NIB for $850. Today I was on Gun Test's website looking at their archived gun reviews and read an article from the Feb. 2008 issue comparing the Rem. 1187 Police, HK/Fabarm and the FN SLP. Apparently the SLP could not reliably feed any of their test loads so they stopped the test and gave it an "F". I realize this may be a defective sample and not representative of the majority of the SLP's, but it sure bummed me out. I can't wait to pay off my lay-away and bring it home but this sure took the wind out of my sails... Any positive comments to cheer me up?

Good lord, I have one on AR15.com classifieds for $700 brand new.

My take is the cheapo federal / walmart specials don't cycle well at all. My short version SLP loves the winchester supertarget or AA type rounds. Can go 500+ rounds wthout a cycle issue. The cheapo's don't often cycle from the start.

·
Registered
13 Posts
After reading ship wrecks link. I have come to a conclusion that lots of people are having the same problems I am and that this gun really seams to only like heavy loads. I'm bummed that everyone seems to be OK with that. I would really love to see people get more information out as to the problems they are having so we can figure out how to remedy them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
:grin: Well, it's been about two full months that I have had my SLP, and I have shot 250 rds (a case) of Federal Premium Game Shok Heavy Field 12 Gauge, 2 3/4", 1 1/8 oz, #7 1/2 Lead Shot, 20 rds of Sellier & Bellot, Special Slug 28, 2 3/4'' 1 oz, and 50 rds of Hornady Light Magnum 2 3/4", 8 Pellets, 1600 fps, #00 Buck Shot Lead. This is between 3 trips to the range. 250 rds of bird shot at the skeet range a month and a half later, 20 rds of slugs one day and 50 rds of buck shot at stationary and steel targets the next. Out of all the rounds I fired I only had one shell fail to eject properly. This is the smooths action shotgun I have ever fired, and the rate of fire on this shotgun is so fast it gives me a chubby. :-x I couldn't believe how fast I was able to fire off 9 rds. Steel after steel targets fell to there deaths.8) The only bad thing I can say about this shot gun is it a little on the heavy side, but it is really no heavier then my M4. It's built to bust down drug dealers doors and stopping any threat to you or your buddies. This really is a very well built shotgun. Thanks FN, other then my M240B this is my favorite weapon that you make. (That I have fired.)

·
Registered
58 Posts
After reading ship wrecks link. I have come to a conclusion that lots of people are having the same problems I am and that this gun really seams to only like heavy loads. I'm bummed that everyone seems to be OK with that. I would really love to see people get more information out as to the problems they are having so we can figure out how to remedy them.
It comes out of the box with the "heavy" piston installed. Swap for the light piston, clean and lube. My SLP was very tight out of the box. It too almost 200 rounds to loosen up, but it will now cycle even very light (1 ounce shot/2.75 dram equivalent target loads) shells. That isn't the kind of thing that magazine is going to be able to deal with in one of their "reviews."

·
Registered
16 Posts
jnewell said:
It comes out of the box with the "heavy" piston installed. Swap for the light piston, clean and lube. My SLP was very tight out of the box. It too almost 200 rounds to loosen up, but it will now cycle even very light (1 ounce shot/2.75 dram equivalent target loads) shells. That isn't the kind of thing that magazine is going to be able to deal with in one of their "reviews."
I've had absolutely no problem shooting mine with light loads either. Even the cheapest Remington Gun Club target loads work fine for me. You do naturally have to use the light loads gas cylinder, as you point out.

You should have seen the looks my shotgun got at the sporting clays range, though, the times that I have taken it. :-D :-D A couple of guys actually wanted to shoot it, as they were intrigued by the Eotech sight that I have on it.

The default heavy gas cylinder that is installed in the gun should only be used with full power Buckshot loads, or magnum class shot loads ( 1 2/ oz of shot or more ). For anything else, including the light recoil Buckshot ammo, use the light load cylinder.

·
Registered
16 Posts
casurfballa said:
One thing that I think that folks could do is to mention which specific model shotgun they have.

For example, I have the SLP Mark I with 22 inch barrel. And I see that some of the others here instead have the SLP Police model with 18 inch barrel.

I think it would be helpful to know when either people complain about problems, or say that everything is working fine, that they indicate which model they have. I've not experienced any problems at all with my SLP Mark I in shooting light target loads with the light load gas piston.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm happy to report that My slp 18" is shooting great now. I called FN and they sent me a replacement light piston. Also I did lock the action back for a week just to compress the spring a little.

If anyone is having an issue. Call FNH. A little slow on response but they resolved my issue.

I feel like a total pimp when I show up at the range with this gun now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
casurfballa said:
I'm happy to report that My slp 18" is shooting great now. ......... I feel like a total pimp when I show up at the range with this gun now.

Great to hear that your difficulties have been resolved!!

Perhaps you are now a pimp. But you are a pimp that no one is now going to want to mess with!!! 8) 8) :-D :-D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts