FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What the heck....magazine release pin fell out...Help!!!

I can't properly express my utter frustration, disappointment and embarrassment with my FN 5.7. My very first use and i experienced a catastrophic failure. I'm glad I wasn't relying on the firearm in a life or death situation. I would be a dead man. I just bought my handgun last week and yesterday I took three of my friends and my newest prize to the range...I loaded a magazine inserted it into the grip, took aim....and the mag and release clip fell out. Wtf! I can not say how angry and embarrassed I am over this. I see via this forum this is a legacy issue and design problem. Can any of you give me and suggestions on how to get this addressed? I called FN and I wasn't able to get to a real person only a series of recorded messages. Any help on this issue is greatly appreciated. Gosh, what a major disappointment. I really expected so much more from a FN firearm. Come on, FN you are better than this. Buyers beware.....
:th_anim_43::th_anim_43::th_anim_43::th_anim_43::th_anim_43::th_anim_43::th_anim_43::th_anim_43::th_anim_43::th_anim_43:

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! :) Sorry to hear of your Five-seveN MAGAZINE misfortune.

·
Premium Member
9,491 Posts
Sorry to hear that.

Do you mean the magazine catch? The old style catch could get caught by improperly seated ammo. You can replace the old style with the newer. Of course, I'm assuming it's a USG, not a MKII. If I'm wrong, my apologies.

And welcome to the forum!

Reactions: SeaMac

·
Administrator
11,093 Posts
I can't properly express my utter frustration, disappointment and embarrassment with my FN 5.7. My very first use and i experienced a catastrophic failure. I'm glad I wasn't relying on the firearm in a life or death situation. I would be a dead man. I just bought my handgun last week and yesterday I took three of my friends and my newest prize to the range...I loaded a clip, inserted it into the grip, took aim....and the clip and release clip fell out. Wtf! I can not say how angry and embarrassed I am over this. I see via this forum this is a legacy issue and design problem. Can any of you give me and suggestions on how to get this addressed? I called FN and I wasn't able to get to a real person only a series of recorded messages. Any help on this issue is greatly appreciated. Gosh, what a major disappointment. I really expected so much more from a FN firearm. Come on, FN you are better than this. Buyers beware.....
:th_anim_43::th_anim_43::th_anim_43::th_anim_43::th_anim_43::th_anim_43::th_anim_43::th_anim_43::th_anim_43::th_anim_43:
On the older FiveseveN, if the bullets are not seated completely in the magazine, when the magazine is inserted, the tip of a bullet will catch on the magazine release clip and it will pop out releasing the magazine catch. You can see the issue here and the fix as well....

http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-five-seven/33217-fiveseven-new-magazine-catch-release-replacement-wtih-pics.html

Load the bullets into the magazine properly and there will be no issue.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I can understand the frustration and embarrassment...but this is why before you EVER trust ANY firearm for personal defense use ALWAYS test fire it first. Any firearm maker can have an issue slip by, or maybe something they have addressed and fixed after only learning about a problem after a firearm gets to market. If you think you were embarrassed, think how FN feels, or any manufacturer that produces something that needs a recall or had a quality control issue slip by them. Good for you for test firing your pistol, turn it into a learning experience for you and your friends, and it serves as a powerful powerful lesson of, test fire, examine, and look for anything that could cause you an issue in an emergency. Sometimes it's the protrusion of a hammer hanging on a shirt when drawn, the double action too heavy for a first shot at a distance, the mag release gets depressed in holster, you get the idea...turn this into a positive experience..,Years from now, you'll be test firing a new pistol, and you'll do it before you carry and trust it because of this issue you had with your new 5.7. If you didn't already follow this golden rule of test firing an heavy examination of it before you trusted it, then let's just look at it like this...This FN 5.7 may have already saved your life...it showed you that even a quality firearm could have an issue that needs to be addressed. Every, and I mean Every gun maker has had something slip by their QC process before. That's why the person who buys it is ultimately the best quality control person a company has. Email FN, leave a voicemail, or just try again. I assure you, FN is more embarrassed than you were, and you can return to the range with your friends, tell them how FN took care of you, and shoot it with reliability and fun, and it will also show your friends the importance of test firing before trusting. Trust me, you'll see the value in this malfunction as years go by and you test other guns. This could possibly be the best thing that ever happened to you if you think about it. And congrats on that 5.7, you made a great purchase dispite this set back. It seems by the prior posts this is a known issue that's had a resolution brought to it...so go EZ and get that bad boy fixed, and trust me again when I say, we all know how frustrating it is and how bad it sucks to have that happen, but it's still a great purchase, and you will love your 5.7 for the very reasons you bought it in the first place. Sorry you had go through this, but you have the support of an entire FN forum behind you !!! And...ANNNNND the FN Herstal Company...they will make it right !!!

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
This is an excellent post, and remember before anyone chooses any platform as a EDC/CCW you must shoot at the very least 100rds of the cartridge you intend to carry. Failure to do so may very well cost you your life.

I can understand the frustration and embarrassment...but this is why before you EVER trust ANY firearm for personal defense use ALWAYS test fire it first. Any firearm maker can have an issue slip by, or maybe something they have addressed and fixed after only learning about a problem after a firearm gets to market. If you think you were embarrassed, think how FN feels, or any manufacturer that produces something that needs a recall or had a quality control issue slip by them. Good for you for test firing your pistol, turn it into a learning experience for you and your friends, and it serves as a powerful powerful lesson of, test fire, examine, and look for anything that could cause you an issue in an emergency. Sometimes it's the protrusion of a hammer hanging on a shirt when drawn, the double action too heavy for a first shot at a distance, the mag release gets depressed in holster, you get the idea...turn this into a positive experience..,Years from now, you'll be test firing a new pistol, and you'll do it before you carry and trust it because of this issue you had with your new 5.7. If you didn't already follow this golden rule of test firing an heavy examination of it before you trusted it, then let's just look at it like this...This FN 5.7 may have already saved your life...it showed you that even a quality firearm could have an issue that needs to be addressed. Every, and I mean Every gun maker has had something slip by their QC process before. That's why the person who buys it is ultimately the best quality control person a company has. Email FN, leave a voicemail, or just try again. I assure you, FN is more embarrassed than you were, and you can return to the range with your friends, tell them how FN took care of you, and shoot it with reliability and fun, and it will also show your friends the importance of test firing before trusting. Trust me, you'll see the value in this malfunction as years go by and you test other guns. This could possibly be the best thing that ever happened to you if you think about it. And congrats on that 5.7, you made a great purchase dispite this set back. It seems by the prior posts this is a known issue that's had a resolution brought to it...so go EZ and get that bad boy fixed, and trust me again when I say, we all know how frustrating it is and how bad it sucks to have that happen, but it's still a great purchase, and you will love your 5.7 for the very reasons you bought it in the first place. Sorry you had go through this, but you have the support of an entire FN forum behind you !!! And...ANNNNND the FN Herstal Company...they will make it right !!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I get your precept but I must respectfully disagree. I will accept that I didn't have a round seated correctly in the mag but as a former Marine I'll tell you first hand that such a flawed design leads to a loss of confidence and even death of the user. One improperly seated round which can fully disable an entire weapon is very alarming and shakes my confidence in carrying this sidearm.

·
Administrator
11,093 Posts
Thanks, I get your precept but I must respectfully disagree. I will accept that I didn't have a round seated correctly in the mag but as a former Marine I'll tell you first hand that such a flawed design leads to a loss of confidence and even death of the user. One improperly seated round which can fully disable an entire weapon is very alarming and shakes my confidence in carrying this sidearm.

Although it never happened to me, I spent the money and replaced the magazine catch and spring. You are not the only one that has/had lost confidence in the firearm due to this issue. Get it corrected and you will regain the confidence that you require to feel that this firearm will serve its purpose.

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
There is a way to avoid the problem but is expensive, get a Tactical or IOM model. They don't have the problem. It started with the USG and the catch being made so it can be reversed. And I would guess about 99% of the time the problem in the USG happens with the 197 round.

I carried a FsN as a duty weapon for a long time. I made sure all the rounds were seated all the way back in the mag, I never used 197, and never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
Now on a side note, I have not heard of any of the new catches failing. Easy, cheap fix.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I never once dismounted the original spring on mine. The upgraded assembly and metal release is certainly a good step in the right direction..

·
Premium Member
9,491 Posts
I never had a problem with the original catch/spring. But the updated version was a cheap enough and easy enough to install that I couldn't see any reason not to do it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts