FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the situation:

I currently own and carry the FNS 9C almost always and have loved this gun ever since I got it. But after lots of training and lots of rounds through it, I think it's time for an upgrade. Two weeks ago I was all set and ready to purchase a 509 Midsize (although it is slightly larger) until I got word to hold off a little longer, due to a new release from FN in the CCW market. And what do you know, we now have the 509 Compact.

So since I don't have many gun shops close by that carry FN products and none to demo at the range, I would like to hear from some of you who may have rounds down range with each. How do they compare? Pros and cons to both for CCW? I know there are plenty of reviews and videos online I can watch, but let's hear from some of the FN loyalists.

At the end of the day, I may even consider just purchasing another FNS 9C, but we have all been in my shoes and want something new and shiny on the market.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is the situation:

I currently own and carry the FNS 9C almost always and have loved this gun ever since I got it. But after lots of training and lots of rounds through it, I think it's time for an upgrade. Two weeks ago I was all set and ready to purchase a 509 Midsize (although it is slightly larger) until I got word to hold off a little longer, due to a new release from FN in the CCW market. And what do you know, we now have the 509 Compact.

So since I don't have many gun shops close by that carry FN products and none to demo at the range, I would like to hear from some of you who may have rounds down range with each. How do they compare? Pros and cons to both for CCW? I know there are plenty of reviews and videos online I can watch, but let's hear from some of the FN loyalists.

At the end of the day, I may even consider just purchasing another FNS 9C, but we have all been in my shoes and want something new and shiny on the market.

Thanks.
Wouldn't that be nice! But unfortunately the budget doesn't agree, so for now only one haha

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 509 Midsize is my favorite carry gun.
Thanks for the response, but I have a follow-up.

Why is that? And I noticed you purchased the 509 Compact as well, so can you give a comparison other than the obvious size/dimensions?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks for the response, but I have a follow-up.

Why is that? And I noticed you purchased the 509 Compact as well, so can you give a comparison other than the obvious size/dimensions?
The 509 Midsize fits my hand perfectly, the grip shape and texture are the best that I have tried, and I have been into shooting for many years (I have now sold 2 Glock 19s). I have not received my 509 Compact as yet, but will give an opinion as soon as it gets in(not sure when they will start to ship). My 509c will get an RMR also.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 509 Midsize fits my hand perfectly, the grip shape and texture are the best that I have tried, and I have been into shooting for many years (I have now sold 2 Glock 19s). I have not received my 509 Compact as yet, but will give an opinion as soon as it gets in(not sure when they will start to ship). My 509c will get an RMR also.
Great, thanks for the feedback. I do agree about the fit of the 509 in my hand as well, especially compared to the FNS 9C.

I also am late to the RMR trend, but it is almost 2020, so I think I better at least try it out. This is why I really am leaning towards the 509 Compact deep down because it's the most concealable out of the 3 with a RMR ready slide straight from FN.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I also am late to the RMR trend, but it is almost 2020, so I think I better at least try it out. This is why I really am leaning towards the 509 Compact deep down because it's the most concealable out of the 3 with a RMR ready slide straight from FN.
I was late to the dance also, and after buying one (and being OLD SCHOOL) I sold it. It didn't help my shooting or speed at all - in fact it slowed me down, but I am a 64 year YOUNG Bulls-Eye shooter. My buddy bought a Hellcat that I had my eye on, but after we tried my Ruger Security Nine Compact Pro against it, we both liked the Ruger better... My advice is to try one first before you buy. Being the most concealable or RMR ready, might not be right you. The Ruger S9 Compact Pro is a little bigger, but feels much better in my hand... Here is a little write up I did on the Hellcat vs Ruger: https://fnforum.net/forums/freestyle-room/221479-hellcat-vs-ruger-security-9-compact-pro.html - and it costs $152 less than what he paid for the Hellcat. SCAR'd Mike - US Army Pistol Team 1974 - 1977

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was late to the dance also, and after buying one (and being OLD SCHOOL) I sold it. It didn't help my shooting or speed at all - in fact it slowed me down, but I am a 64 year YOUNG Bulls-Eye shooter. My buddy bought a Hellcat that I had my eye on, but after we tried my Ruger Security Nine Compact Pro against it, we both liked the Ruger better... My advice is to try one first before you buy. Being the most concealable or RMR ready, might not be right you. The Ruger S9 Compact Pro is a little bigger, but feels much better in my hand... Here is a little write up I did on the Hellcat vs Ruger: https://fnforum.net/forums/freestyle-room/221479-hellcat-vs-ruger-security-9-compact-pro.html - and it costs $152 less than what he paid for the Hellcat. SCAR'd Mike - US Army Pistol Team 1974 - 1977
Thanks for that input!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Thanks for that input!
No Problem !!! My Advice is to actually shoot one (as much as possible) to make sure it is what you want, and feels good in your hand. I bought multiple FNX-45's and others before I really shot them much (or at all), and ended up selling them. To me a Kimber 45 is the Ticket, but to each their own - we are all individuals and like different things. This was my first shot a week ago with a Kimber at 30 feet. Doesn't get much better... SCAR'd Mike - US Army Pistol Team 1974 - 1977

Attachments

·
Registered
980 Posts
LOL. I've done that a couple of times with a new gun, or when shooting a friends gun. My problem was always the second or third shots, which were never as good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I love my 509 midsize and my 9c. Visually I’m not crazy about the tall sights even though I know they were made to co-witness with the rmr. They don’t look ideal for a CCW. I’m curious if they are just tall enough to work with a suppressor.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I love my 509 midsize and my 9c. Visually I’m not crazy about the tall sights even though I know they were made to co-witness with the rmr. They don’t look ideal for a CCW. I’m curious if they are just tall enough to work with a suppressor.
I would doubt it, but it might depend on the size of the suppressor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just to throw another curveball in to the equation, I have tried some optics and don't think I will adjust well. I'm sure I could and could become very good with them, but it would take a long time. So unless the 509 compact comes with standard sights, I think I will rule it out. BUT....here is the real curevball, I demoed the Sig P365 and man I have to, it shocked me. I kind of ruled it out forever due to its multiple issues, but looking at some later reviews, it seems that it may be good to go now.

Any of you out there carrying it? Own it? Have lots of rounds down range with it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know this is a couple months old, but I have and carry the P365 XL. Maybe not what you demoed, but a great shooter nonetheless. I love mine.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts