FN Herstal Firearms banner

Which one to choose

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Trying to decide which I should choose. I already have a PS90 and FN 5.7 pistol. Really leaning towards 5.7 AR upper which I can add my sparrow onto.
It's cheaper than the PS90 or 5.7 and I already have a pistol lower.

Purpose - my wife "permanently borrowed" my PS90 and the 5.7 and I enjoy shooting the 5.7. I thought it would be a fun platform to try in an AR, but wasn't sure if anyone else here has tried it in a pistol configuration.

What does everyone think?

Sten

·
Registered
317 Posts
I voted PS90 due to I thought about an AR57 but decided against it. The PS90 due to the interchangeability of parts by having 2, some have said that reliability of the AR57 platform has been iffy for them.

·
Registered
421 Posts
"Well maybe a FA one..."

YEEEESSSS
:x

Reactions: Sten

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fortunately I already own a can sort of...(waiting for it to get out of NFA jail) and for now Oregon still allows a SBR setup. Question...since the 5.7 is a high speed round, how much quieter does the can (Sparrow) really make the PS90? Better than a .223 suppressed? Anyone have any practical experience?

·
FN Supporter
433 Posts
Fortunately I already own a can sort of...(waiting for it to get out of NFA jail) and for now Oregon still allows a SBR setup. Question...since the 5.7 is a high speed round, how much quieter does the can (Sparrow) really make the PS90? Better than a .223 suppressed? Anyone have any practical experience?
In my professional opinion the Sparrow is a little small for the 5.7. I know lots of people do it, and are happy with the combo, but in my experience cans that size could use a little more volume. A PS90 with a slightly larger can is a good bit quieter than a 5.56. All that said, I'd still do the PS90 SBR over the 5.7 upper and yes, I do have a 6.0" 5.7 upper. Also, the build quality on the 5.7 uppers is....inconsistent. What a part of OR are you in? Got snow today?

Also, with a 6.0" barrel on 5.7 upper I think the Sparrow will be totally inside the handguard...hard to attach.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
I use the sparrow as well and it is hearing safe so I don't wear earplugs with it but you still get the sonic crack.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info! It's always nice to get some practical feedback.

Yup, that was my conclusion as well after doing some research. Just ordered a .223 can that should do a good job/multipurpose. Now I'm hunting for a PS90 that I'll SBR. I'm in southern oregon, so no snow, just a lot of rain and wind. My business partner is up in Lake Oswego and keeps sending me pics of his place covered in 11 inches of snow. Actually the 5.7 upper with the sparrow does completely fit in it, which was kind of a neat "tacticool" look.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
FWIW I have a Gemtech G5 in NFA jail and a pending Form 1 for my PS90. I will definitely post a review of the entire package once everything is put together but I figured I'd post here to present which setup I went with.

·
Premium Member
13,670 Posts
What to choose....5.7 upperr with a 6 inch barrel, PS90, or FN 5.7 pistol? I WOULD CHOOSE THE FIVE SEVEN MKII:?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, thanks everyone for all your responses, I appreciated the feedback!! I just won a gunbroker auction on a new PS90 for $1125. :) Soon to be putting in my SBR paperwork. :) Now...to find a replacement barrel...

·
Registered
421 Posts
You'll love the SBR!

Can we start a support group for those of use in NFA jail waiting on their cans? It's killing me.....

Reactions: Shap
1 - 20 of 28 Posts